Spain, Jaca, Zaragova

Kazakhstan, Almaty

Geogria, Borjomi

Ukraine, ???

USA, Salt Lake City, Lake Tahoe/Reno, Denver

Korea, Pyeongchang

Austria, Innsbruck, Salzburg

Switzerland, Zurick, Davos, Berne

A lot of potential but it will be a very small list of credible cities.

• Replies 336
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Of that list above, I'd say:

Almost definite...

Korea, Pyeongchang - You bet your ass! They want it bad

China, Harbin - I think they were giddy with today's news, and will be priming themselves fast and furious

Strong Maybe...

Norway - almost certain but best chance is with a larger centre like Oslo or Bergen

Germany, Munich - possible, or maybe another south German city

France - maybe, although I think they will hold off to focus on a future Paris 20-something bid

Dependant on 2016...

Spain - hmmmm, Madrid is likely to fail so the old consolation prize could come up but they should not go with Jaca again. Could easily go in the "almost definate" category.

USA - I'm doubtful...I think they'll likely focus on the summer games for a while or measure things based on Chicago's performance

Japan - possibly more likely than the USA, but they'll see how Tokyo fares first

Weak maybe...

Sweden - possible, but the Swedes are always cautious of spending issues

Austria - I think Salzburg is done for a while, and maybe all of Austria, too

Switzerland - the Swiss keep backing out...they seem to lack committment

Andorra - tried once, but kinda small

Or the Southern Hemis-trio: Chile, New Zealand, Argentina - the reverse season is always going to be a challenge there

Geopolitically incorrect...

Bulgaria - may bid, but I think Eastern Europe is on reserve for a while

Poland - unlikely, similar situation to Bulgaria.

B&H - Sarajevo is a sentimental favourite, but see comments on Bulgaria

Kazakhstan - no chance

Georgia - no chance

To that list, I'd also add Romania, Slovakia, any former Yugoslav territory, and any satellite country of Russia.

Well...unless they want to warm up for 2022?

Not at all...

Liechtenstein - too small!

Ukraine - no significant mountain

Canada - no, too close to Vancouver 2010

Italy - no, too close to Torino 2006

Russia...hee hee hee!

I think that pretty much covers the list of all the contries that are in a position to bid. Unless Nepal or Bhutan come up with a surprise bid!

austria won't again

PC maybe will, but it'll be again a massacre i think

jaca, please don't you've tried 4 times (i think) and always rejected

italy, too close to torino we'll have to wait till 2026 i think (if we don't get summer)

almaty, i hope it'll try again the bid concpet was amazing, but exUSSR seems very weak after mother russia

andorra, i'd love to but seems too weak

Of that list above, I'd say:

Almost definite...

Korea, Pyeongchang - You bet your ass! They want it bad

China, Harbin - I think they were giddy with today's news, and will be priming themselves fast and furious

Really? For China it would be very soon after 2008, and besides, so far I have seen no credible solution for Harbin regarding Alpine skiing. The mountain they have proposed so far is very far away and the area is also disputed (claimed by Korea). I think China must find some other candidate if they are to succeed.

The President of the BOC just announced that they will meet in a few days to decide upon Sofia 2018, but she was certain that Bulgaria will bid again. In an interview last June, after the shortlist-announcement, she stated that Sofia would bid again if Salzburg doesn't win.

I wonder if the european race for 2018 is gonna be less fighting and interesting after Sochi's win.. I doubt some euro bids, especially those more oriented to the summer (France, Spain and Germany) would seriously bid considering that 2 consenquently hosts in europe are quite improbable.

2014 undoubtedly has an impact, as will 2016. Also, don't forget the other big sporting event in 2018 year; the World Cup.

True. Which could be in the US or the UK. Now, if the 2018 WOG went to Korea, then FIFA would have no problem giving the 2018 WC to the US or...that other little country...which has an outpost in DisneyWorld, Florida.

Well, about Spain, as long as Madrid doesn't get the 2016 SOG....

JACA - Very unluckily, i think that Jaca won't be the Spanish candidate city anymore, i hope i am wrong since i love Jaca...

GRANADA - Maybe the most probably to happen.

ZARAGOZA - It would be the new Pyrennes option instead of Jaca. Although the "little crazy" city would continue being an important part of the project. We will see after the EXPO 2008 what are the plans for Zaragoza...

These are the options for Spain, maybe not for 2018 but 2022. Depending on Madrid of course!

Now it is Madrid time!!

And i can tell you that Andorra La Vella hasn't thought in presenting a bid for 2018...

I would think Zaragova would be a very interesting games option. It would definately be a new mountain range for the Olympics.

I would really like to see Norway bid and win, but not with Tromso, Trondheim would be the best option.

Pyeongchang, maybe though should use Chuncheon as the base instead.

Really? For China it would be very soon after 2008, and besides, so far I have seen no credible solution for Harbin regarding Alpine skiing. The mountain they have proposed so far is very far away and the area is also disputed (claimed by Korea). I think China must find some other candidate if they are to succeed.

Well, the question was who could be in for a BID, not who would host...I can easily see China bidding again (they did take a stab at 2010, just 2 years after Beijing).

I would think Zaragova would be a very interesting games option. It would definately be a new mountain range for the Olympics.

The biggest "problem" for Zaragoza to present a bid it is just the "Jaca" issue... I am from Zaragoza, but i go to Jaca every winter to skiing, imagine that you are from Jaca and you see how Zaragoza is "robbing" your Games, i don't know if you understand me. If people from Jaca, understand that Zaragoza is THEIR best option to get the Games, then Zaragoza would "dare" to put a bid.

In Spain, Jaca and Zaragoza are in the same "Comunidad Autonoma", Aragon, and noboby in Aragon would like to see how both cities fight between them.

Anyway, after the EXPO 2008, Zaragoza will look for new challenges, and the WOG in colaboration with Jaca, could be a good one... The Pyrennes is a great mountain range, and sooner or later it will host the Olympics, let's wait until then... ;)

PS- Why do you always write Zaragova instead of Zaragoza? ;)

It just seems to make sense that Zaragoza and Jaca should combine efforts for a future bid instead of the small village going alone. They are very similar to the Vancouver & Whistler situation: they also have similar populations, similar distances. Zaragoza has most of the needed infrastructure to support the Games in a combined efforts, whereas Jaca alone would still have to rely heavily on Zaragoza. With the new reality for bigger Winter Olympics, it just makes sense.

Yes they are really similar: Zaragoza has a population of 700.000 inhabitants and Jaca about 15.000, the distance between them is about 140 km, like in Vancouver-Whistler. I hope they present a bid together if Madrid doesn't get first the SOG...

Besides, Zaragoza is developing a lot, it is the 5th biggest spanish city, and will host an EXPO in 2008. A new airport is being built, 11 new hotels, motorways, a project of tram and underground, the high speed train to Barcelona and Madrid... let's wait some years, as i have said now it is time for Madrid.

If a country wishes to be awarded the 2018 Wnter Games they had better make sure that they forward a candidate for the 2016 Games too as since the Seoul session election of 1999 Winter Games have been awarded as compensation for a Summer bid failure.

Rome lost to Athens in 1997 only to be reimbursed with a Torino Winter Games in 1999.

Toronto lost to Beijing in 2001 to be reimbursed with a Vancouver Winter Games in 2003.

Moscow lost to London in 2005 to be reimbursed with a Sochi Winter Games in 2007.

It rather devalues the Winter Olympics that it has become a mere compensation package for failed attempts to capture the Summer Games - although perhaps those countries that have been able to win the Winter Games have proven their loyalty to the Olympic movement by bidding for both.

So perhaps if Tokyo win in Copenhagen we will have Denver 2018.

True. Which could be in the US or the UK. Now, if the 2018 WOG went to Korea, then FIFA would have no problem giving the 2018 WC to the US or...that other little country...which has an outpost in DisneyWorld, Florida.

I was thinking more in terms of China than the USA (England is irrelevent as we can't host a WOGs). If China want the World Cup that year, will they really go for the WOGs?

The President of the BOC just announced that they will meet in a few days to decide upon Sofia 2018, but she was certain that Bulgaria will bid again. In an interview last June, after the shortlist-announcement, she stated that Sofia would bid again if Salzburg doesn't win.

Unfortunately, I think their commitment to bid again if Salzburg lost was basically assuming that would have meant a PyeongChang win. But Sofia is too close to Russia to have much of a chance for 2018 now.

I see on the news portal that Tromsoe (well, we already knew that) and Munich are already poised to bid. Personally I think 2018 is too soon again for Norway and Tromsoe the wrong candidate. Munich could be a hard one to beat _ it would have emotional appeal (the first dual summer-winter host), have the facilities and would knock Germany out of summer games contention for a while, which would surely appeal to a few NOCs.

My big wish, of course, is for the Swedes to try again, but then again it might be wise for them to sit it out. I still think Sochi is a negative for them, and yet another loss would be really demoralising for them. Best to wait a round or two.

Basically, if Korea can come up with a good plan, it MUST be theirs to lose.

ps...it's always the same question BUT what about going south? could it be the right moment?

I really doubt any of the potentials (NZ, Chile) would bid, and they couldn't win if they did. But that said, it could well be the perfect campaign to test the waters. If any of them made the short list and got a reasonable vote in the final, it would certainly raise their credibility for future bids.

...let's wait some years, as i have said now it is time for Madrid.

With London 2012 and viable bids from Tokyo and Chicago for 2016, I just don't see any way for Madrid to win 2016. Although I believe they will charge full steam ahead regardless of that inevitablitiy, so maybe Zaragoza/Jaca 2018 will be their consolation prize in 2011?

With London 2012 and viable bids from Tokyo and Chicago for 2016, I just don't see any way for Madrid to win 2016. Although I believe they will charge full steam ahead regardless of that inevitablitiy, so maybe Zaragoza/Jaca 2018 will be their consolation prize in 2011?

Hmmm. Actually, Zaragoza/Jaca or perhaps Grenada, just might be distant enough from Russia to be Europe's best hope for 2018!

If Chicago wins 2016 and Pyeongchang/Korea does not bid, no matter Harbin, the games will be back in Europe for 2018.

If Tokyo wins in 2016 and Denver/Lake Tahoe does not bid, the games will be back in Europe for 2018.

Munich and Zaragoza would be a good choice. Zurich would be great too.

Archived