Clever, Clever Tokyo.

So it has been confirmed to me from a few sources that Tokyo had indeed been doing some low level promotions for their 2016 bid in an attempt to derail PyeongChang. Looks like that may have paid off. The rumblings are that Tokyo has been selling themselves as the only real alternative to Chicago, as well as being a far bigger localised money spinner. Of course it has been pretty hush hush - and rumour has it the funding has come from the municipal budget - away from any direct 2016 funding...

Tokyo's decision to officially send their 2016 notification a month before the 2014 bid was no mistake. Ohhhh I love how underhanded it all is!

I knew from the begining they would do this. I said it many times on these boards that Tokyo would do anything within their power to sway voters to vote for Sochi to win it all because a Tokyo Olympics is much more attractive to the IOC than a Pyeongchang Winter Olympics. It also leaves the slight possibility of a European bid to actually be viable for 2016 since Russia is really not situated in Western Europe where most of the European Summer bids will be coming from.

I'd also suspect that China wouldn't have backed PC either _ I'm sure they have their eyes on a Harbin 2018 bid. With the Indians also probably pissed off at losing the 2014 Asiad to Korea earlier this year, I think this was an Asian bid that got bugger-all support from the Asian members who count.

I'd also suspect that China wouldn't have backed PC either _ I'm sure they have their eyes on a Harbin 2018 bid. With the Indians also probably pissed off at losing the 2014 Asiad to Korea earlier this year, I think this was an Asian bid that got bugger-all support from the Asian members who count.

I agree. I'm sure the Japs, Ruskies and Indians did not let the recent spate of other Korean sports plums go unnoticed among the IOC membership. Check the men's restrooms at the Ballroom of the G. Westin!!

But pups, I don't see why you trumpet that Tokyo will mean more mucho bucks for the IOC -- than a Chicago candidacy? Why? Chicago is #2 in the US, but US industry and business (McDonalds, BofA, Home Depot, all the stalwart TOP American names, etc) would still be behind a US bid -- as all the major US City mayors -- so Tokyo would really have no advantage in that respect over Chicago. (Besides, I don't think the Koreans will forget the knives stuck in their back by the Japs this time! 2016 will be their reckoning for Tokyo. Takes 2 to play the game.)

Glad that you are back Baron.

In respect to just plain stupid spending, Chicago will be kept in check by a voracious media. Tokyo will go all out - like Nagano the money will just fly. A Tokyo Games will be an insanely expensive undertaking no matter what the Japanese NOC claims - and teh IOC seems to like to hitch their wagon to the biggest spender.

Glad that you are back Baron.

In respect to just plain stupid spending, Chicago will be kept in check by a voracious media. Tokyo will go all out - like Nagano the money will just fly. A Tokyo Games will be an insanely expensive undertaking no matter what the Japanese NOC claims - and teh IOC seems to like to hitch their wagon to the biggest spender.

Of course, I'm tired with all the backroom consulting in GC. But since you mean the extravagant spending, then yeah, Tokyo would take the cake.

However for TV monies, a US Games would still give the IOC the biggest bang for their buck:

1. POPULATION - By 2013, when TV contracts for 2016 would be negotiated, the US population might officially be at 310.000,000+ - still 3x Japan's 115 mil.

2. VIEWING Numbers -- Even with the internet and live feeds. etc., of the 5 major marquee sports, the Japanese are really a factor only in men's gymnastics. OK, they may have a Japanese woman in the marathon, but Athletics - nada; Swimming - still to be dominated between the US and OZ; diving - a China-Russia show; Basketball - still a US - other countires show. So where would Jap audiences be for the marquee sports? Negligible.

So I say prospects for higher TV revenues from the host nation for a Tokyo Games over a US-based Games are highly exaggerated.

Can't wait for the cooler climes of Copenhagen.

Its clear , this was one of the snaller reasons why PC lost .

Well I'm sure they lost a few votes from IOC members that could have been enticed by the idea of a Tokyo games that the Tokyo bid reps were trying to sell to them.

Archived