Usa Hosting An Ioc Session

From what I know, the United States has never hosted an IOC Session, besides when the games were held in the US. I think the US should try to hold a session sometime in the future, such as maybe 2011. And if the US were to host a Session, i think it should be in Atlanta, becuase of the Georgia World Congress Center, it's huge and the GWCC was used in the 96 Games. If not Atlanta, I think one of these cities should host:

Los Angeles

San Francisco

Denver

Washington D.C.

Indianapolis

Boston

Las Vegas

New York

Philadelphia

or Houston

out of those I would pick Indinapolis or Los Angeles, becuase they some of the biggest conventions centers and venues that could host the IOC.

Hmmm. Do they really need something as big as the Georgia WCC? I've been there, and yes, it's huge and great for a really big trade show/exhibition. If anything, it might be a bit of overkill when it comes to an IOC Congress.

These Congresses seem to be more valuable for littler nations who want to raise their Olympic profile anyway _ the Guatemalas and Denmarks etc. It's not like the US is lacking in international sporting profile. Individual cities, perhaps _ an Indianapolis perhaps could get a bit out of hosting one.

I have to agree with Sir Roltel here. Contrary to the Olympic ideals and how some of us want to have the Olympic Games come closer to their homes, only a handful of NOCs have the cities, the money, the power and the expertise to actually host one.

Yeah, it's really weird that they haven't had not even one Session outside an Olympic year. But as the posts above said, its sporting status doesn't justify it.

If the US wanted to host a session, then 2011 would be the closest ideal date for them. If Chicago gets the 2016 Games, that would stop completely an American bid for 2018, rendering the US as a viable session host. On the other hand, if by any chance Chicago loses, I don't see them prioritizing a 2018 WOG bid over a long-due American SOG for 2020, so again they could host the 2011 session.

But I don't know how far the IOC lets a country host an electing session and the Games in a short time span.

Yeah, it's really weird that they haven't had not even one Session outside an Olympic year. But as the posts above said, its sporting status doesn't justify it.

If the US wanted to host a session, then 2011 would be the closest ideal date for them. If Chicago gets the 2016 Games, that would stop completely an American bid for 2018, rendering the US as a viable session host. On the other hand, if by any chance Chicago loses, I don't see them prioritizing a 2018 WOG bid over a long-due American SOG for 2020, so again they could host the 2011 session.

But I don't know how far the IOC lets a country host an electing session and the Games in a short time span.

Some say that this could apply to Canada, too.

Hmmm. Do they really need something as big as the Georgia WCC? I've been there, and yes, it's huge and great for a really big trade show/exhibition. If anything, it might be a bit of overkill when it comes to an IOC Congress.

These Congresses seem to be more valuable for littler nations who want to raise their Olympic profile anyway _ the Guatemalas and Denmarks etc. It's not like the US is lacking in international sporting profile. Individual cities, perhaps _ an Indianapolis perhaps could get a bit out of hosting one.

No, an IOC Congress does not require large amounts of space so much as a plush 5-star hotel/resort as the main venue. Indianapolis isn't sophisotcated enough. Indianapolis is good for Basketball World Championships or the recently concluded US Track & Field Championships. If it were to he held in the US, the IOC would like settings of maybe the most prestigious hotel in Washington, DC; or say the historic Sheration Palace or Fairmont in San Francisco; or Sherman House in Chicago. The hotel setting is more important than the city.

Besides, as Sir Roltel said, the IOC Congresses are sort of reserved for the smaller nations that will never get a Summer or Winter Games -- the Singapores, Guatemalas, Denmarks -- the little sovereign states willing to settle for "second-best party venues" for the IOC nabobs. Kiss-ass; kiss-ass!!

No, an IOC Congress does not require large amounts of space so much as a plush 5-star hotel/resort as the main venue. Indianapolis isn't sophisotcated enough. Indianapolis is good for Basketball World Championships or the recently concluded US Track & Field Championships. If it were to he held in the US, the IOC would like settings of maybe the most prestigious hotel in Washington, DC; or say the historic Sheration Palace or Fairmont in San Francisco; or Sherman House in Chicago. The hotel setting is more important than the city.

Besides, as Sir Roltel said, the IOC Congresses are sort of reserved for the smaller nations that will never get a Summer or Winter Games -- the Singapores, Guatemalas, Denmarks -- the little sovereign states willing to settle for "second-best party venues" for the IOC nabobs. Kiss-ass; kiss-ass!!

So I guess the MGM in Las Vegas or Disney World would not have the prestige to pull this off?

Archived