Pick The Winner!

Sir Rols

me too! Sochi, London, and particularly Vancouver.....3 successful guesses.

You got the winner, and said two rounds, but you sat on the fence on either Salzburg or PC going out first. So that's 2 out of three points for the 2014 pick.

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply
But anyway, our predictions' worst enemies are the abstaining IOC members - darn them! :lol:

Actually, 95 IOC (not GB) votes were cast in the first round. So that's minus the 11 of the 3 + Germany 1st-round countries and Rogge. So, it looks like nearly the full 106 IOC membership showed up.

2nd round votes totalled: 98. So the 3 Germans may have jumped in while the dejected Austrians went to a nearby restaurant. (I believe 5 abstentions were known from the start as those 5 IOC members were not attending for health reasons or something like that.)

I'd also classify Sochi's victory as another 'Albertville-type Consolation" prize, for Russia -- having finished dead last in the 2005 derby. Russia is a major player in the Olympic movement, more so than Korea, and I think the IOC, despite Sochi's grandiose still-on-paper-only plans, wanted to award Russia's contributions to the Olympics; and since it will not be possible for a Summer Games, might as well shut them up now with a WOG -- and worry about the Koreans later on.

So, is anyone claiming to have got the numbers right?

Well,at least I got Sochi's winning tally right at 51! :)

I was only one or two numbers out in my predictions for the two rounds but then they were based on all the stated eligible members voting ,ie.98 in the 1st round and then 100 in the 2nd.None of us could forsee that two members must have abstained as the actual tallies went 95 and 98! :huh:

Well,at least I got Sochi's winning tally right at 51! :)

I was only one or two numbers out in my predictions for the two rounds but then they were based on all the stated eligible members voting ,ie.98 in the 1st round and then 100 in the 2nd.None of us could forsee that two members must have abstained as the actual tallies went 95 and 98! :huh:

U know, I think the 2 Austrians also abstained in '03 after Salzburg got ditched. It's got to be the 2 Austrians; the pattern is so consistent. The 3 Germans had to jump in because results could impact any future German bids.

U know, I think the 2 Austrians also abstained in '03 after Salzburg got ditched. It's got to be the 2 Austrians; the pattern is so consistent. The 3 Germans had to jump in because results could impact any future German bids.

Well I guess I could understand them being pissed off at being bounced out in the first round for the second time in a row.

But who abstained in the 1st round then? :huh:

Well I guess I could understand them being pissed off at being bounced out in the first round for the second time in a row.

But who abstained in the 1st round then? :huh:

It couldn't be the Austrian members to abstain, since there were two abstentions and they are three members. Besides, as Mainad said the same two abstentions happened in the first round.

I'd also classify Sochi's victory as another 'Albertville-type Consolation" prize, for Russia -- having finished dead last in the 2005 derby. Russia is a major player in the Olympic movement, more so than Korea, and I think the IOC, despite Sochi's grandiose still-on-paper-only plans, wanted to award Russia's contributions to the Olympics; and since it will not be possible for a Summer Games, might as well shut them up now with a WOG -- and worry about the Koreans later on.

Well, when I had mentioned a few months ago, that the only way that Sochi could win this race was if the "consolation prize" theory held any water. But you dismissed it simply because Moscow did not finish runner-up in the 2012 race.

But anyway, I definitely see some substance to that theory now. The IOC handing Sochi the 2014 Winter Games is their way of apologizing to Russia & Putin for Moscow's poor performance in the 2012 Summer race. I definitely agree that if the IOC had to give the Russians an Olympic Games, they'd rather give them the Winter "throw-away/consolation prize" games than their Summer Grand, juicy plum.

How did everyone know sochi was going to win, Salzburg would come third, and there would be two rounds?

LOL _ a lot more people got it wrong than right, actually. Seven of us (if we take Filipe Golias out) were right, as against 13 that picked PyeongChang to win (and one for Salzburg).

It was pretty easy to see Salzburg would go first. My main question was whether any of the others would be able to win in one round, but in the end I opted for Salzburg to be the kingmaker with its discarded votes.

As for Sochi _ their campaign reminded me a lot of London's _ I just thought they had the momentum!

I agree with Roltel: Sochi victory has a strong London 2012 savour:

- an exciting plan, especially with the Olympic Park,

- Russia passion for winter sports

- Putin strong involvement...

Add to that the Moscow 2012 loss.

LOL _ a lot more people got it wrong than right, actually. Seven of us (if we take Filipe Golias out) were right, as against 13 that picked PyeongChang to win (and one for Salzburg).

It was pretty easy to see Salzburg would go first. My main question was whether any of the others would be able to win in one round, but in the end I opted for Salzburg to be the kingmaker with its discarded votes.

As for Sochi _ their campaign reminded me a lot of London's _ I just thought they had the momentum!

Sorry. I only read the first page.

Archived