1976 Role Reversal

GBModerator

With Salzburg's low public support of only 42% - could we have a reverse of 1976.

In 1976 Denver USA won the Games but lost a referendum because of low public support and intead the IOC gave the Games to Innsbruck Austria because they had the infrastructure in place from previous Games and could put it together in short time.

Could Salzburg Austria win this time, and could the constituents reject it and then the IOC would be forced to relocate? And if so, might they go to Salt Lake City USA because facilities exist?

Sort of like a payback?

Discuss.

I don't think so, and didn't the IOC relocate from Denver, not based on low public support, but from the publics worry of the environmental impact that would result from the Olympic Games.

On Nov. 7, 1972, 514,228 to 350,964, a 59.4 percent majority said they weren't willing to spend tax dollars to have the Games in their state. They rejected a bond issue of $5 million.

A Salzburg victory is, unfortnately for them, quite unlikely at this point. It seems to me that Salzburg is missing the momentum that PC and Sochi have right now. Unless Salzburg pulls out a magnificent final presentation, I think we are heading for a Sochi / PC final.

This being said, should Salzburg wins, I wouldn't ne too concerned about the lack of public support.

Austria is a winter sports mad nation. I am sure the public would carefully scrutinize the whole preparation process but would eventually support the Games and that we would have trully wonderful Games.

Financial backing form all level of government has been secured, the budget should remained under control due to the low number of infrastructure to be built and the impact on th eenvironment should be very limited. So no much source of real concern here.

I tend to agree with cfm jeremie. I think Salzburg is the least likely to win this time. And I think the Austrians probably feel this and aren't getting excited or their hopes up. But if they DO squeak through, the famed Austrian passion for winter sports will kick in and they'll get behind it.

I absolutely don't think this could happen. If Salzburg gets the honour of hosting the Olympic Wintergames 2014 works for that highlight begin one day after the decision.

First of all: There will be no binding poll after Salzburg is host city

Then: It is typically Austrian to say "NO" before. If we get the games the number supporting Salzburg 2014 would be much higher suddenly, I'm sure about that.

And: Polls for the whole country say that about 80 % are in favour of the games.

I agree with this comment from the article:

"I don't think the IOC will ever give us the Olympics again," Bullene said. "We will never ever see the Olympics here again -- not in our lifetimes."

With so many cities queuing up to host the Olympics,why on earth should the IOC ever consider going back to a city that was given the chance to host them and then promptly threw them back in the IOC's face??

It's not a matter of being vindictive or unforgiving....it's just that there are so many others waiting patiently for their chance.

Denver had their's and turned it down.End of story! :(

I agree with this comment from the article:

"I don't think the IOC will ever give us the Olympics again," Bullene said. "We will never ever see the Olympics here again -- not in our lifetimes."

With so many cities queuing up to host the Olympics,why on earth should the IOC ever consider going back to a city that was given the chance to host them and then promptly threw them back in the IOC's face??

It's not a matter of being vindictive or unforgiving....it's just that there are so many others waiting patiently for their chance.

Denver had their's and turned it down.End of story! :(

The Olympics were a different story back than.

It sounds so funny that they rejected it over a $5 million bond, especially since Montreal spent a billion (200 times more!). How much would the election have cost? And now, $5mil is a drop in the Olympic bucket. Why that's 6 logos at WO rates.

Archived