Wimbledon 2007

But nerves didn't seem to affect Bartoli today. She just seemed to find a zone where nothing was going to stop her winning that match and if she finds that place again tomorrow, Williams had better watch out.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply
But nerves didn't seem to affect Bartoli today. She just seemed to find a zone where nothing was going to stop her winning that match and if she finds that place again tomorrow, Williams had better watch out.

Ah but the final is different.So many first-time finalists have flunked out quickly,almost before they realize what is happening, when they suddenly become conscious that they are actually playing the final with so many important dignitaries and much of the world looking on.It seems to happem more often to those players who reached the final rather unexpectedly and against most expectation like Bartoli.However I hope I am wrong and that she will not be overcome by the occasion!

All the pressure is going to be on Williams. She's the senior player, the three time former champion, playing in her sixth Wimbledon final. Most people are going to expect her to win against a player who nobody has really heard anything about until this tournament. I know it's her first final and there are bound to be nerves (for both players) early on, but Bartoli, for me, really has absolutely nothing to lose tomorrow.

Sure the pressure is on Venus Williams, but she was two points away from being knocked out in the first round of the tournament, and she came back and won.

Venus appears to love these pressure moments, as she performs so well in dubious situations. She has nerves of steel.

And she hasn't lost in Center Court to anyone except her sister, so she feels right at home.

Runs like that are just made to be upset.

Anyway, it's not just the ladies final taking centrestage tomorrow. We also have the men's semi-finals and I can't see anything other than Federer against Nadal on Sunday afternoon. Anyone disagree?

Runs like that are just made to be upset.

Anyway, it's not just the ladies final taking centrestage tomorrow. We also have the men's semi-finals and I can't see anything other than Federer against Nadal on Sunday afternoon. Anyone disagree?

My hope is a Federer vs. Djokovic final, Nadal has been shacky against in two matches and Djokovic has been a good, strong player in this tournament and in previous ones.

I agree.I would love to see a Federer/Djokovic Final because they are the 2 most natural grass-court players left.(So actually is Gasquet but he will come up against Federer in one of tomorrow's 2 semi-finals).

I have a feeling that Nadal is going to overpower Djokovic though.Like Venus,he has been getting ever stronger and more awesome with each match.Plus Djokovic looked a bit jaded after today's exhausting 5 hour 5 setter against Baghdatis.He will need to be in top form to have a chance against big Rafa tomorrow.

My feeling as of this moment is that it is going to be Federer and Nadal in a repeat of last year's final as I predicted from the outset.But I'm prepared for some surprise outcomes tomorrow like we had today!

Federer against Gasquet only has one possible outcome for me and that's Federer in three straight sets. Nadal against Djokovic could be very tight, but I think Nadal will edge it purely because Djokovic won't have had much time to recover from his match against Baghdatis.

blurghhhhhhh..... if someone playing against Nadal a set with him for one hour, then i predicted 30 minutes are the time Nadal preparing himself for serving... he is so annoying to watch when he is going to serve a game, it's like to wait him forever!!! pity for his opponent then, when he serve an ace and then has to wait for him a million year to win another point.

It's Federer against Nadal in tomorrow's men's final. Federer beat Gasquet in straight sets 7-5 6-3 6-4, but unfortunately Djokovic was forced to retire at one set all and 1-4 down against Nadal.

Ladies singles final about to start.

It's a fourth Wimbledon title for Venus Williams, a 6-4 6-1 victor over Marion Bartoli. Bartoli battled away, but just couldn't produce the same level of play that she did against Justine Henin yesterday.

As I feared,the Venus steamroller eventually came out today.But all credit to Bartoli who played some great points and who wasn't overwhelmed by first-final nerves.Venus was just too strong for her as she had proved against all her previous opponents in the last fortnight!

I just hope there was no element of gamesmanship a la Serena when Venus took that time-out in the second set.It hardly seemed necessary as she was already well ahead at that point.I just hoped it didn't throw Marion off her stride in any way!

In any event,congrats to Venus who now joins the select company of Billie Jean King,Martina Navratilova and Steffi Graff as one of only 4 women players to have won 4 Wimbledon singles titles in the postwar era!

Now there's an exclusive club.

Meanwhile, it is slightly disturbing to note that there is still British interest on the second Saturday of Wimbledon. Jamie Murray and Jelena Jankovic (yes, I know she isn't British, but seeing as she's partnering one of ours that'll do) have just gone through to the semi-finals of the mixed doubles.

Wow...a Briton in a Wimbledon semi-final! That's not happened since Tim Henman back in 2001!!

Wow...a Briton in a Wimbledon semi-final! That's not happened since Tim Henman back in 2001!!

Well that does depend on whether you count the junior tournaments, as I remember Miles Kasiri making the boys' singles final a year or two ago and Anna Kirkpatrick made the girls' singles semi-finals today.

I say Federer in five.

By the way, there is one thing that annoys me whit Wimbledon's coverage, its the total lack of doubles' coverage. I mean, I have watch at least 20 hours of tennis in the last two weeks and I never even herd the word doubles, which I find unfortunate.

In the UK, if you have digital (which most people do now), you can switch between 2 or 3 matches on BBC interactive so if you like doubles you can watch doubles. Do you basically get BBC pictures with your own commentators in Canada Fox?

If your interactive works, and my parents have yet to figure out how to get it to work, much to their disgust. You press the red button and then nothing happens at all.

Meanwhile, it looks like we're heading for a fifth set in what has been a fabulous final so far.

Archived