Wimbledon 2007

Well, the Championships get underway on Monday (allegedly, seeing as the weather in the last week or so has been pretty dreadful and the forecast for the next few days is also appalling). Who are you tipping for the titles?

In the men's event, it's difficult to look past Roger Federer, but it seems that his run to the final at the French Open took a lot out of him because he didn't play the Halle tournament that he has played every year he's won at SW19. He's looking to equal Bjorn Borg's five titles in a row, but I don't think he will do it. He has a tough draw this time, far tougher than in previous years. I fancy Andy Roddick to claim the trophy this year, and he's a big price with the bookmakers.

In the women's draw, I can't see past Justine Henin. She's won the big warm-up event at Eastbourne today and she looks the pick of the field.

Thoughts?

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Why can't Roger Federer win because only he didn't participate in Halle? Well it's just a point there to say but we should know also that this is a Grand Slam. Best-of-five is my point here. It think it is tough to beat Roger in 5 sets.

Roger certainly wants to equal Bjorn Borg record. Rafa could do it, why Roger can't? Roddick can be beaten by anybody, furthermore let have a thought that he just at the brink of defeat to Nicholas Mahut at Queen's final. Yes Roddick has a chance, but I don't agree that he will win this championships.

For the women though i agree that Henin will not make it. She struggles to beat Mauresmo today at Eastbourne final. Then I would say that Mauresmo still has the chance alongside with Serena and Maria Sharapova. Henin for Wimbledon is just the same like Federer for Roland Garros, to me.

I didn't say he couldn't, but I do think the fact that he chose not to play Halle could be significant. Every year he has won Wimbledon, he has played the Halle tournament beforehand. This year, he has had no grass court match practice in the build-up to Wimbledon.

It appears to me that Federer based much of his year around making the best possible attempt to win the French Open and that has taken a lot out of him. It may hurt him more at SW19.

Not only that, but Federer appears to have a much tougher draw this year than in previous years. He's seeded to play Marat Safin in the third round, who has beaten him in a Grand Slam semi-final before. He could play either Tursunov or Haas in the fourth round, Blake or Gonzalez in the quarters and Roddick in the semis.

I'm not saying he won't win it, just that it's going to be much harder for him this year and I think that Roddick represents a real value alternative.

Well Wimbledon has escaped the worst of the horrendous weather that has hit the country today and they are playing. As far as I know, most of the big names through. Henman in an evening epic, a set all with Moya.

Despite not playing Halle (which he explained as wishing to preserve his fitness and not sustain any further injuries prior to Wimbledon),I think Roger Federer is still the firm favourite to take his 5th consecutive title at SW19.He looked to be on his old commanding form against Gabashvili yesterday.I just think there's something about the Wimbledon grass that always lifts him out of any rut and inspires him to play his best once again!

I don't really see Roddick as a threat despite his being back on form.Federer has played him so many times and beaten him on every occasion but once.He himself states that he knows Roddick's game so well and that he just knows how to play him.

I still see Nadal as his most likely opponent in the Final.If Roger retains form,then I think he will continue to be unbeatable!

For the women,I'm not so sure.Justine Henin is a slight favourite but I wait to see how she will handle Serena Williams' sheer power,providing she plays on form of course.If Williams is not on form then I see Sharapova or Jankovich as Justine's most likely co-finalists and I haven't entirely ruled out Mauresmo either.

If Serena is on form like she was at the Australian Open in January,then I have to see her as the favourite.If not,then I will give the edge to Justine!

Despite not playing Halle (which he explained as wishing to preserve his fitness and not sustain any further injuries prior to Wimbledon),I think Roger Federer is still the firm favourite to take his 5th consecutive title at SW19.

I don't disagree with that view. However, I'll wait until he hopefully plays Safin in the third round until I make a firm judgement.

Wimbledon playing catch-up now with almost half of the third round singles matches still to be completed on the second Monday.

There will, however, be one fewer match to play tomorrow, as Tommy Haas has been forced to withdraw because of injury. This means that Roger Federer receives a bye to the quarter-finals.

We now have, officially, the wettest Wimbledon since 1982. Still two men's third round matches to be completed. There is surely no way we'll get done by Sunday night.

It probably won't be till wednesday of next week before this thing is done. There is still first round matches to be completed in men's, women's, mixed, girl's and boy's doubles an girls and boy's singles.

The All England Club has a point when they say they were on schedule in the singles last Friday, when the decision was taken not to play on the middle Sunday. The big problem is the fact they've had a bad Monday and Tuesday this week, not that decision.

That said, I would personally like to see play on the middle Sunday every year. We usually get a backlog of doubles matches every year, no matter how good or bad the weather is, so why not make middle Sunday doubles day? Cheaper ticket prices, midday start on all courts, doubles all the way? I'd certainly go for it. Doubles can be a lot more entertaining than singles anyway.

The All England Club has a point when they say they were on schedule in the singles last Friday, when the decision was taken not to play on the middle Sunday. The big problem is the fact they've had a bad Monday and Tuesday this week, not that decision.

They should have taken the weather forecast into account,though.Heavy rain was predicted for the second week!

That said, I would personally like to see play on the middle Sunday every year. We usually get a backlog of doubles matches every year, no matter how good or bad the weather is, so why not make middle Sunday doubles day? Cheaper ticket prices, midday start on all courts, doubles all the way? I'd certainly go for it. Doubles can be a lot more entertaining than singles anyway.

Worth thinking about.

The tournament is now getting somewhere close to its normal course with three of the men's quarter-finals already completed today and the first women's semi-final well underway. We may just get done on Sunday yet.

Williams has to start favourite, but the kind of form Bartoli produced in the second and third sets today means you dismiss her at your peril.

I hope so.But I fear a Venus steamroller.She's been getting stronger and more aggressive with each match and that,coupled with the infamous first-time finalist nerves,might just make her too much for Bartoli!

Archived