Moveable Games Program

I don't believe so, since the IOC already made the list of sports for the London OG official.

That's what I was saying, it may well be too late for London.

Though, it does seem that the IOC are keen to push skateboarding _ whether that succeeeds or not (and as cfm Jeremie said, the membership at large may not approve it) remains to be seen.

I suppose the only reason London is mentioned is because the statement by Rogge explicitely says the 25+3 sport roster would apply after Beijing. Once again, we'll know more in a few weeks.

How about dropping football/soccer?

* It's the only sport (individual and team) where male competitors have to be under-23 (weirdly or not, women don't);

* I don't see FIFA getting upset about it, since it's their fault the sport is so restricted in the OG;

* No more venues out of the host city;

* No Olympic events before the actual Opening Ceremony;

* Considering it's the world's most supported/viewed sport, it rarely competes with athletics or swimming events for attendance records.

Some of the points above may not be factually correct, but that's what I think.

How about dropping football/soccer?

* It's the only sport (individual and team) where male competitors have to be under-23 (weirdly or not, women don't);

* I don't see FIFA getting upset about it, since it's their fault the sport is so restricted in the OG;

* No more venues out of the host city;

* No Olympic events before the actual Opening Ceremony;

* Considering it's the world's most supported/viewed sport, it rarely competes with athletics or swimming events for attendance records.

Some of the points above may not be factually correct, but that's what I think.

Not bad points at all. And it's not likje the Olympic tournament has anything like the profile or prestige of the World Cup. It's certainly not like FIFA needs the Olympics (unlike a lot of other sports and IFs).

Not bad points at all. And it's not likje the Olympic tournament has anything like the profile or prestige of the World Cup. It's certainly not like FIFA needs the Olympics (unlike a lot of other sports and IFs).

Absolutely. It's FIFA's fear that the World Cup may be overshadowed by an Olympic tournament containing the world's top senior teams, that led the organisation to impose these age restrictions. It's amputating an Olympic sport for the sake of audiences and marketing.

Football is regularly mentionned as one of the sports that could leave the Olympic Programme for the exact same reasons Filipe stated.

Then, the main argument in favour of Football is that it's one of the most, if not the most, universal sport.

The fact that it needs to be played outside the host city also helps spreading the Olympic celebration to a whole country not just the host city.

The under-23 rule at least make it possible to avoid the Brazil Vs European teams that we see in almost every world cup. In Atlanta the tournament was was by Nigeria.

Woohoo! Hot off the wires:

What a load of rubbish this article is! Firstly, there will be 28 sports in Beijing, not 26, as the article claims, and the claim for London is highly unlikely as they already declared the programme for London. Evidence for this can be found at the following:

- The IOC's news archive for July 2005 (8th or 9th I think), when at the IOC Session in Singapore, it was declared that Beijing would host 28 sports, and that softball and baseball would only be dropped from 2012.

- The websites of Beijing and London. Not only only do Beijing/ London have 28 and 26 sports respectively in their schedules, but the Beijing have announced that the Baseball venue is near complete (refurb.ed), and the Softball Venue surely must be also nearly done. Oh yeah - NOT TO MENTION THE FACT THAT BEIJING HAVE ALREADY SOLD TICKETS FOR 28 SPORTS (INCLUDING BASEBALL/SOFTBALL)!!! Changing the programme for London's 26 sports would be incredibly disruptive, given that the "2-4-1"plan is nearing the the construction stage - to then start forcing them to change their plans once again would be absoloutly rediculous!

- In the article, Rogge (allegedly, given doubts on the article's credibility) states that "three more to be voted for by the [Olympic Programme] commission", and not the Host City themselves.

This article is the same in every publication it is featured in - I don't know who wrote it, but there has clearly been a misunderstanding somewhere.

Football is regularly mentionned as one of the sports that could leave the Olympic Programme for the exact same reasons Filipe stated.

Then, the main argument in favour of Football is that it's one of the most, if not the most, universal sport.

The fact that it needs to be played outside the host city also helps spreading the Olympic celebration to a whole country not just the host city.

The under-23 rule at least make it possible to avoid the Brazil Vs European teams that we see in almost every world cup. In Atlanta the tournament was was by Nigeria.

Pls don't get rid of football, bcoz I am a big footy fan!!!

What a load of rubbish this article is! Firstly, there will be 28 sports in Beijing, not 26, as the article claims, and the claim for London is highly unlikely as they already declared the programme for London. Evidence for this can be found at the following:

- The IOC's news archive for July 2005 (8th or 9th I think), when at the IOC Session in Singapore, it was declared that Beijing would host 28 sports, and that softball and baseball would only be dropped from 2012.

- The websites of Beijing and London. Not only only do Beijing/ London have 28 and 26 sports respectively in their schedules, but the Beijing have announced that the Baseball venue is near complete (refurb.ed), and the Softball Venue surely must be also nearly done. Oh yeah - NOT TO MENTION THE FACT THAT BEIJING HAVE ALREADY SOLD TICKETS FOR 28 SPORTS (INCLUDING BASEBALL/SOFTBALL)!!! Changing the programme for London's 26 sports would be incredibly disruptive, given that the "2-4-1"plan is nearing the the construction stage - to then start forcing them to change their plans once again would be absoloutly rediculous!

- In the article, Rogge (allegedly, given doubts on the article's credibility) states that "three more to be voted for by the [Olympic Programme] commission", and not the Host City themselves.

This article is the same in every publication it is featured in - I don't know who wrote it, but there has clearly been a misunderstanding somewhere.

Good points. Possibly the writer isn't as versed in such matters as many of us here, and was getting mixed up with all the what is planned post 2008 and what has already been decideed/dropped etc. The main 25+3 plan, though, is conistent with what Rogge was already floating in November last year as well, so I'd guess there's some hard intentions in there.

Only about a week now, I suppose, till it's all spelled out.

I know there are a few on this board, so don't take offence...but journalists don't always do their homework or editors will change a story to "spice" it up. During the London 2012 logo launch, I kept reading articles that said the logo caused seizures...it was actually the video sequence with the diver.

So, sports that I see threatened (from most to least):

Baseball/Softball - since it was already voted out

Modern Pentathlon - questionable popularity

Shooting - never understood how it is an athletic endeavour.

Boxing - always controversial

Football/Soccer - for all the reasons mentioned above, unless they change it like basketball and hockey did by sending the big name players, plus it requires a lot of facilities.

Equestrian - questionable popularity

Handball - questionable popularity

For London 2012 - I see the Brits supporting golf, rugby or cricket, or possibly popular sports like ultimate or roller hockey. And since they are 'gettin' down wit da kidz', maybe hide & seek and pin the tail on the donkey. Kazhakstan's been waiting for that one.

I know there are a few on this board, so don't take offence...but journalists don't always do their homework or editors will change a story to "spice" it up. During the London 2012 logo launch, I kept reading articles that said the logo caused seizures...it was actually the video sequence with the diver.

LOL _ don't worry, most of us have to be pretty thick-skinned as well!

So, sports that I see threatened (from most to least):

Baseball/Softball - since it was already voted out

Modern Pentathlon - questionable popularity

Shooting - never understood how it is an athletic endeavour.

Boxing - always controversial

Football/Soccer - for all the reasons mentioned above, unless they change it like basketball and hockey did by sending the big name players, plus it requires a lot of facilities.

Equestrian - questionable popularity

Handball - questionable popularity

For London 2012 - I see the Brits supporting golf, rugby or cricket, or possibly popular sports like ultimate or roller hockey. And since they are 'gettin' down wit da kidz', maybe hide & seek and pin the tail on the donkey. Kazhakstan's been waiting for that one.

sailing has less popularity than handball, and the IOC is generally controlled by those nations that are good at it.

According to Around the Rings, the 25 core sports will be chosen in 2009 at the earliest, more likely in 2013. So basically, I would say that London will keep its 26 sports plus possibly Skateboard (depending on the outcome of Guatemala Session).

According to Around the Rings, the 25 core sports will be chosen in 2009 at the earliest, more likely in 2013. So basically, I would say that London will keep its 26 sports plus possibly Skateboard (depending on the outcome of Guatemala Session).

Skateboarding won't be a sport but a discipline of Cycling.

Skateboarding won't be a sport but a discipline of Cycling.

I know. But that's a trick used by the IOC Executive Board so that it doesn't have to follow the process of including a new sports in the Programme (which is much more difficult than introducing a new discipline). If you go on the UCI website, you will see that right now, skateboard is not mentionned as one of the discipline covered by the federation.

Archived