2016 Surprise Bids...

I think you'll find those claims were not followed up on as a number of African IOC members were later reprimanded for approaching bid cities for scholarships and bribes. Also Berlin bid members later confirmed they were asked repeatedly for "gifts", as were Atlanta, SLC, Nagano, Falun, Ostersund, Stockholm, Rome, Manchester, Birmingham, Athens, Toronto, Melbourne, Belgrade, Aosta... Pretty much any bid prior to 2008 and after 1970 have had these claims levelled at them, however the IOC members usually ask first, demand next and crucify later.

So the story about the businessmen and the two African delegates was exaggerated or not true?

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I wish I could find the web article I originally read about it.I could have sworn it was from an Australian newspaper but I could be mistaken.

But I found this old Guardian article that alludes to what I was saying.

Sydney strives to avert bribes inqury

I had to check up the link to refresh the memory, but basically the question was the last minute grants that were offered to the two African IOC members ostensibly for sports development. The query was that it was done very late (on the eve of the Monte Carlo voting session) and the grants seem to have gone to the members directly rather than through the respective Kenyan and Ugandan NOCs or sports ministries. Yes, it does have a fishy smell about it (not helped by the fact that Kenya's Mukora was one of those later fingered over the Salt Lake City scandal), but on the other hand it was never secret _ I remember headlines here in Oz in the days before the vote praising Coates for his last-minute acumen to shore up African support with the grants. It was in the open and was never something that was seen as underhanded until the SLC scandal broke and everything then from past bids to the 80s went under the microscope.

My personal feeling is it was a very grey area that certainly wouldn't be allowed today, but could possibly just sneak into acceptabiluty under the rules then active. I also know it's no excuse to argue that "everyone was doing it" at the time, but, well, everyone WAS.

Ah,so it was known about at the time? I had the impression it all only came to light in the wake of the Salt Lake City investigation! As you say,the dividing line between offering legitimate incentives and outright bribery was very blurred back then.Thanks to the late Mr.Hodler's disclosures,the IOC gets paranoid nowadays about seemingly ANY form of contact between candidate cities and IOC members (witness London 2012's slap on the wrist for innocently offering travel incentives)!

There must be a happy medium somewhere,I guess!

Well, this is going to be a very interesting olympic race.

The problam that mainly have Madrid are the games of 2012 in London, is going to be hard to get a good chance.

The Asia problem could be the time zone, for the TV transmissions, mainly in the west coast of the Unitted states.

Here is where comes the advantages of American bids, mainly Monterrey an Chicago, because they could acommodate the main medals for the east coast time of the United states.

Also another advantage, not important but advantage, is that the last olympic games in america where 20 years from 2016 so I think America have a good advantage to receive the games.

I would like to see a short list of

Monterrey, Mexico

Chicago, United states.

Madrid, Spain.

Tokyo, Japan

Rio de Janeiro, Brazil

And the final vote is going to be between Monterrey and Madrid.

So, you have it, Monterrey will host the games of the XXXI olympiad

I think that the RIO can be yes a great favourite person or thing to win the race final.

Probably the guaranteed cities are.

Chicago - USA

Tokyo - Japan

Rio De Janeiro - Brazil

Madrid - Spain

To another fifth city to be in the short list already if cannot foresee with easiness! On, the RIO, COB is for launching the candidacy after PAN GAMES, to evaluate all the conditions of the city and to make a work of each time. Therefore not yet it made a ofical official notice to the IOC. The RIO in the advantage of already having a stadium base and a olímpic plant.

I think that Chicago would be the main competitor of Rio De Janeiro. Therefore the games must come exactly to the Americas. Since 1996 that the games do not happen in the continent. The Europe already will go to host the games in 2012 and Beijin (ASIA) in 2008. Chigago possesss an infra better structure that the city of the RIO, but loses when it says in mobilization of the population and expansion of the Games since the city already would not hold the capacity of an international competition of this ratio. Still more after the work badly made for New York 2012 where the olímpic stadium would be in full Manhatan. The IOC already announced that it does not want expensive games and yes that takes care of the necessities of the athletes and that the games happen perfectly. They prezam the organization of what more money! Without

counting on the impact that the games would leave in the city.

Tokyo would be the third most likely one, but it faces a great problem of demographic density and lack of spaces for the accomplishment of the games. The project must very be well made to gain the games.

Madrid is the fourth city due to excellent fiche technique presented to the IOC. the plans of the city had been barred by London 2012. 2 games followed in the Europe are improbable!

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

with the consolidation of the paper of the Brazil in the exterior and its economic (The Gross domestic product grows 5% to the year on average) growth she would be one of the 4 you harness that they are appearing in the world. To the side of China, Russia and India. Group BRIC as it is called!

The great test to firm the RIO as favourite will be PANAMERICAN GAMES. Being that DOHA 2006 was problematic due to problems in the organization. What it very spotted the image of the city

Is is my opinion!

I think Brazil could care less about the olympics they want the FIFA World Cup.

I think that the RIO can be yes a great favourite person or thing to win the race final.

Probably the guaranteed cities are.

Chicago - USA

Tokyo - Japan

Rio De Janeiro - Brazil

Madrid - Spain

To another fifth city to be in the short list already if cannot foresee with easiness! On, the RIO, COB is for launching the candidacy after PAN GAMES, to evaluate all the conditions of the city and to make a work of each time. Therefore not yet it made a ofical official notice to the IOC. The RIO in the advantage of already having a stadium base and a olímpic plant.

I think that Chicago would be the main competitor of Rio De Janeiro. Therefore the games must come exactly to the Americas. Since 1996 that the games do not happen in the continent. The Europe already will go to host the games in 2012 and Beijin (ASIA) in 2008. Chigago possesss an infra better structure that the city of the RIO, but loses when it says in mobilization of the population and expansion of the Games since the city already would not hold the capacity of an international competition of this ratio. Still more after the work badly made for New York 2012 where the olímpic stadium would be in full Manhatan. The IOC already announced that it does not want expensive games and yes that takes care of the necessities of the athletes and that the games happen perfectly. They prezam the organization of what more money! Without

counting on the impact that the games would leave in the city.

Tokyo would be the third most likely one, but it faces a great problem of demographic density and lack of spaces for the accomplishment of the games. The project must very be well made to gain the games.

Madrid is the fourth city due to excellent fiche technique presented to the IOC. the plans of the city had been barred by London 2012. 2 games followed in the Europe are improbable!

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

with the consolidation of the paper of the Brazil in the exterior and its economic (The Gross domestic product grows 5% to the year on average) growth she would be one of the 4 you harness that they are appearing in the world. To the side of China, Russia and India. Group BRIC as it is called!

The great test to firm the RIO as favourite will be PANAMERICAN GAMES. Being that DOHA 2006 was problematic due to problems in the organization. What it very spotted the image of the city

Is is my opinion!

There's always room for a surprise!

Jakarta? Bogota? Algiers? Brisbane? Could be fun.

Jakarta ?? O_o hohohohohohoho, I think Jakarta won't bid any olympic games until abootu 2020, the jakarta goverment concentrating in transportation sector, actuallyt in 1995 (Indonesia 50 years of independence) The First Lady of Indonesia at the time, announcement that jakarta will bid for 2008, but in 1998 Indonesia suffering monetary crisis...

Well there was much talk of Busan thinking about a 2016 bid before seemingly pushing it back to 2020 to not infringe on PC's 2014 bid. I have a few friends in the South Korean NOC - I'll give it a few days and give them a cal to see what the future plans are - as a third straight PC bid may be a missed opportunity for 2016. Especially seeming that failed bidders are winning their next shot at the Games (Rome - Torino, Toronto - Vancouver, Moscow - Sochi) even though it only seems to work Summer into Winter...

Well there was much talk of Busan thinking about a 2016 bid before seemingly pushing it back to 2020 to not infringe on PC's 2014 bid. I have a few friends in the South Korean NOC - I'll give it a few days and give them a cal to see what the future plans are - as a third straight PC bid may be a missed opportunity for 2016. Especially seeming that failed bidders are winning their next shot at the Games (Rome - Torino, Toronto - Vancouver, Moscow - Sochi) even though it only seems to work Summer into Winter...

Maybe it can work oppositely.. :) I just want a bigger field of applicant cities for 2016. I'll welcome a South Korean bid again.

I'd say Baku is your surprise candidate if indeed they go through with it. Bangkok would be a suprise too although I think the military coup that toppled the government last year kills any chance of a Thai bid and that's a shame too. As for some other possibilities, I wouldn't rule out Warsaw or Buenos Aires.

I'd say Baku is your surprise candidate if indeed they go through with it. Bangkok would be a suprise too although I think the military coup that toppled the government last year kills any chance of a Thai bid and that's a shame too. As for some other possibilities, I wouldn't rule out Warsaw or Buenos Aires.

The military coup is no big deal. The Thais have a subdued way of staging their coups _ it's not like the have armed revolts or insurgencies, more like heavy handed changes in policy directions. As long as the King is okay, the people are happy.

Archived