2016 Surprise Bids...

With less than 3 months away from cities having to announce their intentions, the field for 2016 is looking a little... small. We only have advanced confirmed bids thus far from Tokyo, Madrid, Chicago and Monterrey. Rome is also jumping in, and there is talk of Baku (Azerbaijan) having a go as well. Doha (Qatar) seems another likely starter, with Dubai now seeming a no show. Delhi is gone, and nothing has been heard from Istanbul since mid 2006. Havana is also quieter this time around, and Rio is holding its cards close to its chest - until at least after the PanAms. Russia appears to be out (and honestly Sochi is looking a likely winner for 2014).

I guess I am wondering who else will come out of the woodwork?

Will we see an African city suddenly pop in? Tunis? Cairo? A city in Morocco? I doubt it. Maybe Kenya will make good thier announced plans!! :) ANYWHERE EXCEPT ABUJA!

Will a South East Asian country join in - maybe Bangkok?

Perhaps a few more European cities will be added to the list. Could we see Belgrade submit a bid? The Serbs are aggresively going after world championships of late...

So lets discuss - will we see a record field (well since the 20's/30's) beating 2004's 11 applicant cities?

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I am sure the Malaysian's would've made an announcement by now. As for Busan, the word on the street is they are interested in 2020 - but who knows? Maybe?

A better idea - furious at the 2008 torch relay plans, Taipei announces a 2016 bid! That would be sweet!

hoh about prague, Did they make official bid too ?? And Chinesse Taipei will make 2020 bid no 2016... Busan with delhi also in 2020, Russia in 2020, so for 2016 here is the list as far as I know : chicago, tokyo, madrid, monterrey, prague

Yep - Prague said no thanks for 2016. I also believe the inclusion of Monterrey, Tokyo and Doha will spice things up. I also think Istanbul may have a different plan if they go ahead - as it does seem they are building again out at their Olympic Park... so I wonder what new venue is going to open up prior to a Games? Aquatic Centre?

When did Monterrey officially enter? I thought the Mexican Olympic Committee hadn't announced their intentions yet.

So confirmed cities are?

1.) Tokyo- August 30, 2006

2.) Rio- I thought they announced way back on the 1st of Sept, 2006

3.) Prague- Announced March 22, 2007

4.) Baku- They confirmed only a few days before the US on April 9th

5.) Chicago- April 14th

6.) Madrid- May 30th

I think that's the correct list so far, with Tokyo the only city to send the application to Lausanne

Actually, CAF, wasn't there hints of a possible Hamburg bid a few months ago?

I guess it might be another bland race, not as bad as the ongoing 2014 race though.

I dunno _ we'll never have another line-up like 2012 again, but there's room for a bit of spice in this one too. A strong US bid that many people see as a front-runner (and which will naturally raise the ire and bile of anti-Americans and those who think the US hosts too much), a few possible "exotics" (Monterey, Rio, Doha), a reasonable challenger from Asia in Tokyo, and the Spaniards in the mix to raise a bit of latin passion and chauvenism. I can see a few sparks and full-on fights flying round during the race.

Actually, CAF, wasn't there hints of a possible Hamburg bid a few months ago?

nothing heard about that in the last few months anymore - our mayor, Ole von Beust, is focused on another favourite project of him at the moment: the new "Elbphilharmony" (he wants to leave a footprint of his "reign" in Hamburg) - reminds me a little bit on the Sydney Opera....

Seriosly I think Germany won't bid for 2016 - after United Kingdom got the honour to host 2012 it is very unlikely that Europe has a chance...

0,1020,534460,00.jpg

0,1020,534452,00.jpg

My understanding is the Mexican OC had endorsed Monterrey... I'll have to check into that. As for Buenos Aires, there was talk of that earlier this year, but since then... nothing.

Regarding Istanbul, a fifth consecutive bid would be a foregone conclusion except for a) their website (Olympist) appears to be gone B) there has been no announcement either way since Rogge's visit in 2006 and c) they took the 2012 snub very, very badly.

Maybe they have listened to us and decided to bow out for a cycle? Maybe Izmir or Ankara can challenge the Olympic Law in Turkey to get a shot at bidding?

I'm convinced that South Africa will bid after the country had successfully hosted the FIFA WORLD CUP in 2010 - I do not know when the final call for 2016 is - if it is before 2010 South Africa won't bid if it is after 2010 South Africa will bid...

That would depend on South Africa getting everything right with the FIFA World Cup, I read that all not well with preparations at the moment, especially compared with where Germany was at an equivalent stage

That would depend on South Africa getting everything right with the FIFA World Cup, I read that all not well with preparations at the moment, especially compared with where Germany was at an equivalent stage

Unless I'm very much mistaken I think I hear the sound of a can of worms being opened!

I'm convinced that South Africa will bid after the country had successfully hosted the FIFA WORLD CUP in 2010 - I do not know when the final call for 2016 is - if it is before 2010 South Africa won't bid if it is after 2010 South Africa will bid...

If they're waiting to see how the WC 20120 goes, they can only bid for 2020, as the 2016 deadline is this September.

My understanding is the Mexican OC had endorsed Monterrey... I'll have to check into that. As for Buenos Aires, there was talk of that earlier this year, but since then... nothing.

Regarding Istanbul, a fifth consecutive bid would be a foregone conclusion except for a) their website (Olympist) appears to be gone B) there has been no announcement either way since Rogge's visit in 2006 and c) they took the 2012 snub very, very badly.

Maybe they have listened to us and decided to bow out for a cycle? Maybe Izmir or Ankara can challenge the Olympic Law in Turkey to get a shot at bidding?

The Mexican OC has indeed endorsed Monterrey. The reason why they are keeping it so underground is because the city is organizing another international event this year called FORUM 2007:

http://www.monterreyforum2007.org/

I'm not sure if we'll see any big announcements of Monterrey's Olympic intentions beacuse of this. The deadline to enter the olympic race of September 13th happens to be a week before the inauguration of FORUM 2007. The event will last 3 months.

to me here's the situation:

- tokyo will bid but will be very affected by PC winter olympics winning for 2014

- madrid will be but it'll be a more weak bid than the 2012 one

- rome won't bid

- chicago won't get the final list

- prague will retire its bid not so far from its presentation

- dubai/brunei will not be chosen coz of difficulties of organizations, laws and weather

- monterrey will win having o its side the fact of being an american choice and a "new" one too :D

to me here's the situation:

- tokyo will bid but will be very affected by PC winter olympics winning for 2014

- madrid will be but it'll be a more weak bid than the 2012 one

- rome won't bid

- chicago won't get the final list

- prague will retire its bid not so far from its presentation

- dubai/brunei will not be chosen coz of difficulties of organizations, laws and weather

- monterrey will win having o its side the fact of being an american choice and a "new" one too :D

Chicago will not get on the shortlist :lol:

Archived