2018 Nz Commonwealth Games Bid

mattygs

As mentioned in the GB News thread, the New Zealand Government is investigating the possibility of bidding for the 2018 Commonwealth Games. It appears two cities have expressed interest in bidding, Auckland or Christchurch.

New Zealand Commonwealth Games hosting history shows that Christchuch hosted in 1974, and Auckland in 1950 and 1990.

Surely Auckland would have a better chance of winning in an international competition, despite the fact that they are the more recent host.

I am guessing Christchurch would want to possibly refurbish QE2 Stadium. I guess they may want to use Jade Stadium in Capacity. There is the Westpac Centre with a capacity of around 8k, and no doubt the QE2 Park Aquatic Centre. Then there is the Town Hall. Not entirely sure what else would be used.

As for Auckland, perhaps by 2018 they would have got their act together with the construction of a new national stadium , though if that isnt happening, I guess there is always Eden Park. The city also has a riches of indoor venues. The Vector Arena on the waterfront with a capacity of 12k, the Trusts Stadium and North Shore Events centre with an average capacity of 5-6k each. Even the Telstra Clear Pacific Events Centre in Manuka with around 2.5k capacity.

AUCKLAND

auckland_from_air.jpg

south-stand-final-part-1-north-west.jpg

Eden Park (Rugby World Cup 2011 mode)

75810499.jpg

Vector Arena

trusts.jpg

Trusts Stadium

Jan05a.jpg

Sirwoolffisherarena.jpg

Pacific Events Centre

Venue%2001.JPG

North Shore Events Centre

westwave_bldg_lge.jpg

West Wave Aquatic Centre (originally built for Auckland 1990, but since redeveloped)

[/img]

DSC04012.jpg

Aotea Centre (The Edge)

Civic.jpg

Civic Theatre (The Edge)

The ASB Showgrounds also has the Logan Campbell Centre, and they are currently undergoing a redevelopment, which will include a new large pavillion.

A much better place to start a thread and discussion _ things get lost up in the GB News forum.

Any chance of doing something similar for Christchurch? And other contenders (Wellington, Hamilton)?

I still feel that Auckland's two previous hostings would count against it. Christchucrh to me would be slightly better. One thing I think, as we can see with the Abuja bid and more interest from potential Asian hosts,and South Africa surely entering the CWGs mix soon, is that there's going to be a lot more competition against the traditional Commonwealth hosts. It will be hard to argue in favour of repeat hosts if the likes of a Capetown, Durban, Singapore, Abuja, etc decides to bid as well.

CHRISTCHURCH

nz-christchurch.jpgchristchurch.jpg

To be honest, shots of the Christchurch venues are hard to come by, and really, I am stumped at what venues they would use.

I cant find a good shot of Qe2 Stadium, used for the 74 Commonwealth Games.

westpaccentre.jpg

Westpac Centre

acbd9372ad7913a3a4f8cf00a21cbea5.jpg

Jade Stadium

chchtownhall.jpg

Christchurch Town Hall

To be honest, shots of the Christchurch venues are hard to come by, and really, I am stumped at what venues they would use.

LOL, I remember the same prob when Steve and I were doing the Chruistchurch winter fantasy bid.

One other thing about 2018, is any NZ bid would probably face tough competition against the loser of the 2014 bid. I could well see Abuja going again if it lost, and it would probably have a strong case then. Glasgow might or might not rebid, but again would possibly have a strong case.

<_< Nnghhh...NZs next CWG hosting!

Look only Auckland would now be the contender for a CWGs.

Post the Cricket WC in '15 I'd believe rebuilding North Habour stadium into the main athletic stadium is a good start. Mt Smart stadium is now a Rugby League ground and in an industrial area.

Wellington could be an outside contender, while Christchurch should go after the Winter Olympics...

Now that the RWC2011 IS reality, I can see a crossroads at about 2010, with the Government juggling between the CWGs (Auckland) or OWGs (Christchurch/Queenstown).

An international event requires ALL of New Zealand to participate, the country simply is to small to cut loose a city on its own, hence the Government having to help out.

It is surprising that the country still remembers Christchurch 1974 as it's greatest CWGs, which still shows the animosity to Auckland (1990) as semi-detached from the rest of NZ.

The famous NZ74 symbol now an iconic brand of the nation, seen on T-Shirts, as flags etc...while Auckland 90's symbol only adorns the tail fins of charter airline, National Air.

It really does amaze me that Wellington isn't seen as a bigger possibility for a Commonwealths, especially when the cities that already seem to be in the fray are former hosts.

Wellington would've been great for a 1994 sized event. Its such avibrant city!

If you know Wellington, arwebb, you will easly understand it's short-commings.

* Geography - Very elongated with suburban citys feeding into the habour area.

* Facilities - few and far between, as well as small. (including Westpac Stadium.)

* Congestion - It's the nation's head office, even with a transport network Auckland can only dream of.

* Airport - If you thought Honk Kong's Kai Tak was something, you should watch planes landing in a stiff coastal breeze. AND sea fog creates havoc over the summer months.

I fully agree with you Alex. I would love to see Wellington bid and host a Commonwealth Games, but it would need the most work out of the 3 potential hosts. The venues just aren't really up to scratch. I know they were talking about putting in an indoor facility attached to Westpac stadium, but I dont know what ever happened to that idea.

The city has an unbelievable pumping heart that is so vibrant, and makes it feel alot bigger than the city really is. Maybe one day.

Also like your idea about the NHS, would be good to develop it as a track and field stadium I think. It has a landmark aspect to it, which is great. But if they continue with putting stands in, it would work well for an auckland commonwealth games. Obviously I woiuld prefer a waterfront area, but you can't have everything.

A 2018 Games in Auckland would be great to go with the new waterfront area around tankfarm.

I fully agree with you Alex. I would love to see Wellington bid and host a Commonwealth Games, but it would need the most work out of the 3 potential hosts. The venues just aren't really up to scratch. I know they were talking about putting in an indoor facility attached to Westpac stadium, but I dont know what ever happened to that idea.

The city has an unbelievable pumping heart that is so vibrant, and makes it feel alot bigger than the city really is. Maybe one day.

Also like your idea about the NHS, would be good to develop it as a track and field stadium I think. It has a landmark aspect to it, which is great. But if they continue with putting stands in, it would work well for an auckland commonwealth games. Obviously I woiuld prefer a waterfront area, but you can't have everything.

A 2018 Games in Auckland would be great to go with the new waterfront area around tankfarm.

i live in wellington and would love to see the commonwealth games come to the city there is just too much work that is needed to be put in. I believe that Aucland and christchurch has a better chance. I just wished the built the new water front stadium in auckland instead of upgrading eden park... Woul have been perfect to have the games on the waterfront

after the waterfront stadium mess up im afraid im not optimistic about a NZ bid, i also dont think the gvt support needed will become a reality, initial cost estimates will definitely rise and perhaps even triple resulting in NZ pulling out the bid ala hamilton, which is probably the worst thing

after the waterfront stadium mess up im afraid im not optimistic about a NZ bid, i also dont think the gvt support needed will become a reality, initial cost estimates will definitely rise and perhaps even triple resulting in NZ pulling out the bid ala hamilton, which is probably the worst thing
Have to agree with you ct2020, more so for the fact that the political situation is about to change here in NZ.

It is widely predicted that a centre right government lead by National will be at the helm by the end of 2008. Being conservative, the new government will be a little more tighter with spending and carry out tax cuts which are now overdue. Extracurricular events such as a CWG will end up on simmer while infrastructure spending really comes to the fore.

I know this is about off-topic , but the Singapore National Stadium held its closing ceremony today . It is scheduled to be demolished and in its place , A new sport hub with a 55 000 stadium with a possibility of a 80 000 extention . We were thashed by the Australian Football team 3-0 in during the closing ceremony . It will be completed by mid 2011 . Do you think Singapore bid for the CW 2018 ?

http://sg.news.yahoo.com/070701/5/singapore285455.html

Nah , the reason of the opening is to let the water play a part of this stadium . Also the field can be moved out to the water turning it into a water arena . The video on this news article shows how , it is below the picture .

Have to agree with you ct2020, more so for the fact that the political situation is about to change here in NZ.

It is widely predicted that a centre right government lead by National will be at the helm by the end of 2008. Being conservative, the new government will be a little more tighter with spending and carry out tax cuts which are now overdue. Extracurricular events such as a CWG will end up on simmer while infrastructure spending really comes to the fore.

You're rite in that, catch 22 I guess, because alot of that infrastructure would help out a future bid. I dunno, how bout getting rid of Dick and get John Banks back in as Mayor of Auckland. At least he thought big, he seems to have a good vision for Auckland City. But then hey, i dont live there.

So what does Auckland and Christchurch really need in terms of venues to host a CG in its current form.

Nah , the reason of the opening is to let the water play a part of this stadium . Also the field can be moved out to the water turning it into a water arena . The video on this news article shows how , it is below the picture .

Sorry , I didn't realise I didn't put the link ! :P Here it is

http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/sin.../267210/1/.html

You're rite in that, catch 22 I guess, because alot of that infrastructure would help out a future bid. I dunno, how bout getting rid of Dick and get John Banks back in as Mayor of Auckland. At least he thought big, he seems to have a good vision for Auckland City. But then hey, i dont live there.

So what does Auckland and Christchurch really need in terms of venues to host a CG in its current form.

Just looking at the Singapore stadium that has appeared in this thread...

It's great what a good imagination can do, this would make a perfect waterside venue in Auckland!

Now that the America's Cup is staying in Europe for the time being, focus has been turned to the RWC11 (This event won't return to NZ for a VERY long time). After that NZ and Australia host the Cricket WC in '15. I still believe the CWGs are beginning to fade, and even more so now the Junior Olympics are a reality. This could be an event NZ could host in the late teens or twenties in the lead up to the Summer Olympic bid sometime in the 40's or 50's.

The moaning that was had in Auckland from 1984 right through to 1990 was nausiating and in the end the government had to bail out the event. I think NZers don't want to go through that again, for an event that was already losing it's international glamour even then.

The Commonwealths are still a bigger event, for the moment, than the Youth Olympics, so wouldn't they look towards that first. I know they're not the event they once were, but the Youth Olympics aren't going to be that special really.

Archived