The Next Olympic Sport!

I don't think Bulletball will make it to the Olympic Games. Anyways, I suggested bandy and ringette for WOG 2 years ago, but I don't think the IOC will add it. It would be nice if it did. For SOG, I think rugby shhould be in for LONDON 2012.

I want baseball and softball make a comeback... anybody know, why baseball ang softball are out from olympic ??

Supposedly because they lack worldwide appeal combined with the fact that they're very expensive to stage. But with its strong popularity in North and Central America as well as Asia and Australia, I think it was a bad decision to dump baseball. Softball, on the other hand, I can understand them getting rid of. It's not particularly popular anywhere, and there are only 2 or 3 countries that are really good at it.

Supposedly because they lack worldwide appeal combined with the fact that they're very expensive to stage. But with its strong popularity in North and Central America as well as Asia and Australia, I think it was a bad decision to dump baseball. Softball, on the other hand, I can understand them getting rid of. It's not particularly popular anywhere, and there are only 2 or 3 countries that are really good at it.

Baseball's not THAT popular in Australia _ very much a minority interest pastime (probably comparable to, say, rugby in the US). Softball's probably more widespread.

The fact that the MLB refuses to have an "Olympic break" like the NHL does also contributed to Olympic Baseball's downfall.

Well, I think one of the flaw for Futsal's addition is the lack of women's competition. Gender parity is something very important to the IOC lately, and adding what is currently a mostly men-only sport could be a problem.

Doesn't a sport have to be participated in by 3 out of 5 of all countries or something like that? If so, I don't see baseball meeting that criteria.

Doesn't a sport have to be participated in by 3 out of 5 of all [continents] or something like that? If so, I don't see baseball meeting that criteria.

The 2004 baseball medal winners were Cuba (NA), Australia, and Japan (Asia). That's three continents right there.

It's hugely popular in North America (probably the #2 sport in the USA, #1 in much of the Caribbean & Central America), very popular in the northern part of South America (Venezuela & Colombia in particular), and very popular in Japan, Taiwan, & Korea. That's three continents right there, and there's also enough interest in Australia for them to field a team that usually contends for a medal in the sport.

Meanwhile, you have a sport like water polo which is almost entirely played in Europe and North America, as well as badminton and table tennis, which are basically confined to Europe and Asia. I'm not saying that those sports should be dropped, but I do think that baseball didn't quite get a fair shake.

It's my understanding that there is some sort of official qualifications that have to be met inn termsm of having an IF and sufficient international participation and membership to qualify, but it does appear to be a rule that is only observe3d hapharadly. Modern Pentathlon, for example, apparently doesn't meet this criteria, yet avoids being dropped because of its Olympic and De Coubertin associations. Badminton is another that seems to be included mainly to cater for the east Asian market.

But if you look at previous World Championships in modern pentathlon, nations from all continents have been prominent. For this year's championship in Berlin, more than 60 countries are, apparently, expected to take part. It does seem to have some sort of global participation as well as the tradition.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

I still hoping either bandy or ringette will be added to WOG, I just hope the federations would except it. I hope they will added in Sochi.

I still hoping either bandy or ringette will be added to WOG, I just hope the federations would except it. I hope they will added in Sochi.

No new sports can be added before 2018.

And I really don't see Ringette getting trough... its not officially recognized by the IOC.

Archived