Us Olympic Festival-national Sports Festival

Does anyone here remember the National Olympic Festival (1978-1985) and the US Olympic Festival (1986-1995)? They were a great off-Olympic year event and did give a great many Olympic level athletics a jump on their Olympic careers.

Please post if you attended any of them and what your feeling about them were.

I attended every Festival from 1985 until 1995.

1978: Colorado Springs, CO

1979: Colorado Springs, CO

1981: Syracuse, N.Y

1982: Indianapolis, IN

1983: Colorado Springs, CO

1985: Baton Rouge, LA

1986: Houston, TX

1987: Releigh-Durham, NC

1989: Okalhoma City-Norman, OK

1990: Minneapolis, MN

1991: Loa Angeles, CA

1993: San Antonio, TX

1994: St. Louis, MO

1995: Denver-Colorado Springs, CO

Yes, they were great events. They were like Mini-Olympics and had the small time feel of an Olympics. My wife, daughter, and I were very disappointed when they were cancelled. They were supposed to be replaced with the US Olympic Cup, but it never materialized the way they were envisioned.

I got that information from Bill Hybl when he was President of the USOC.

Well, when a nation, like America, is the powerhouse of the Olympiad, I think the upcoming American Olympians have enough things to worry about as it is. However, it was a great idea for the USOC to have these national Games, like the way Canada does with its Canada Games.

Well, when a nation, like America, is the powerhouse of the Olympiad, I think the upcoming American Olympians have enough things to worry about as it is. However, it was a great idea for the USOC to have these national Games, like the way Canada does with its Canada Games.

Guardian: yes, I agree. The USOC has agreat deal to deal with. However they should try to support more of these type of events. With corporate money out there, even having a small version of these Games every year could keep their Olympic athletes in the public eye more often than every foru years.

• 7 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

My husband and I went to the 1991 US Olympic Festival in Los Angeles. It was great!!! My husband worked for Panasonic and we got tickets to lots of events and the Opening Ceremonies at Dodger Stadium. I even got to participate in the Torch Relay in Laguna Beach. I was sad that they didn't continue the Olympic Festival.

My husband and I went to the 1991 US Olympic Festival in Los Angeles. It was great!!! My husband worked for Panasonic and we got tickets to lots of events and the Opening Ceremonies at Dodger Stadium. I even got to participate in the Torch Relay in Laguna Beach. I was sad that they didn't continue the Olympic Festival.

Welcome pinfvr! Nice to have another woman join up.

• 3 months later...

Yes, I remember. I was at the very first NSF in Colorado Springs in 1978 as a member of the West's Softball Team (we took the Bronze). It was a great experience. I thought that I was at the Olympic's with the torch being ran down from Pike's Peak, the accomodations, and the overall treatment of the athletes. Lucky me, I have the Sport Illustrated edition that talks about this festival, and I'm in it!!!! :P

• 2 weeks later...

I actually remeber, attended and worked as an usher at the 1978 and 1979 Sports Festivals in Colorado Springs. As a member of the Boy Scouts/Webelos, we worked some of the events to help direct people to their seats. I was also a batboy for the West team in 1979. As a young man(boy), it was awesome to meet some of the big sports figures of the time. I remember meeting Bruce Jenner and Mark Spitz in particular. It is definitely a shame that they no longer hold these festivals. It is a memory I still cherish some 30 years later.

• 7 months later...
  • 5 months later...
Guest pingpongkimi

Ahhhh, fond memories for me as well. My first Olympic Festival was 1982 in Indy, which was also my first gold medal. These events were so great for all the national athletes who were fighting like mad to break into the apex of their individual sports. I remember competing in the '86, '87, 89, 90 Festivals where I won I nice collection of gold, silver and bronze medals! My career as a Table Tennis champion ended in '90 as head coach of the women's team in Los Angeles. I so wish that these festivals were still available for our young athletes, they will truly be missed by our entire nation!! :(

Guest pingpongkimi

Ahhhh, fond memories for me as well. My first Olympic Festival was 1982 in Indy, which was also my first gold medal. These events were so great for all the national athletes who were fighting like mad to break into the apex of their individual sports. I remember competing in the '86, '87, 89, 90 Festivals where I won I nice collection of gold, silver and bronze medals! My career as a Table Tennis champion ended in '90 as head coach of the women's team in Los Angeles. I so wish that these festivals were still available for our young athletes, they will truly be missed by our entire nation!!

I attended the National Sports Festival in Baton Rouge (1985) and US Olympic Festival in Houston (1986) as a spectator. In 1987 (North Carolina), I had VIP credentials from the Greater Houston Sports Foundation and in 1989 (Oklahoma City), I attended with Official Observer credentials (also from the Greater Houston Sports Foundation). Having credentials sure gives one a different perspective of the Games. After that, the remaining Festivals, (1990: Minneapolis, 1991: Los Angeles, 1993: San Antonio, 1994: St. Louis, and 1995: Denver), I worked as a reporter-journalist for various publications covering the Festivals.

They were great events and I wish the USOC would reinstitute something similar in off-Olympic years. There was an abundance of ideas for stories and I never had trouble finding a story line to write about.

The USOC needs to go back to the basics in promoting the games. Events such as the National Sport Festival-U.S. Olympic Festival gave the grassroots fan a chance to see Olympic caliber-Olympic hopefuls. Many of said fans will never have a chance to attend a Summer or Winter Olympics and events similar to the Festivals would be a great chance to promote the Olympics and make many more people a fan.

Texsportpub any grassroots based Olympic event has to be a good thing - lets hope they reinstate something soon - although I guess the financial climate won't help pay for it.

Yes, the financial situation would make it difficult, but sponsorship money is always out there. The financial market here in Texas is not so bad. Except for gas prices, things are pretty stable and building is going on all over the area. We usually have 2-3 national and Olympic level events in the area every year. They never have trouble finding sponsors and as I stated earlier, sponsorship money will always be there. However, the competition for said money will be greater. More grassroots programs are needed. I was surprised with the IOC came forth with the idea of the Youth Olympics, which should enhance the visibility of the Games and the movement. I attended the AAU Junior Olympic Games in 2004 and 2005, as a coach and a journalist. They are, as far as I know, the only complete multi-sport games in the United States. The World Scholar-Athlete Games and their domestic version, the United States Scholar-Athlete Games are contested every four years, but the participation is limited to certain sports and participation is stressed more than competition. In any case, the United States needs to come up with something to keep interest high and eyes focused on the Games and its movement.

I don't think events need to be multi sport to necessarily gain attention - the problem with multi sport events is they are expensive and are limited in where they can be held. Individual sports events might be a better way of raising participation as they are likely to reach more people.

• 3 weeks later...
I don't think events need to be multi sport to necessarily gain attention - the problem with multi sport events is they are expensive and are limited in where they can be held. Individual sports events might be a better way of raising participation as they are likely to reach more people.

Single or similar sports multi-events festivals may be the way to go. The USOC and other sports groups need to get back to hosting these events. The NCAA held the Winter and Spring Division 2 Festival here in the past year, and the attendance was okay, but nothing close to the crowds they got during Olympic Festivals. Hopefully they will come up with something. It is a nitch that needs to be filled.

• 6 months later...
Guest Dr. Asa Don Brown

I had the honor of performing in the United States Olympic Festival in Oklahoma in 1989.

It was an incredible experience that I will never forget. It made a deep impression on my

life.

Dr. Asa Don Brown

I had the honor of performing in the United States Olympic Festival in Oklahoma in 1989.

It was an incredible experience that I will never forget. It made a deep impression on my

life.

Dr. Asa Don Brown

Thanks for replying to my post. What sport did you compete? Perhaps I saw you compete.

• 2 weeks later...

I had the pleasure of coordinating the 1985 National Sports Festival (Baton Rouge) Torch Relay that began at Pikes Peak, stopped in Houston to tout the 1986 Olympic Festival there, and after arriving in Vinton, Louisiana, took the torch throughout the state arriving eventually in Tiger Stadium.

Because of our success on a shoestring I also had the opportunity to direct the runs in Texas in 1986, titled a Run Through Texas History (it was also Texas' sesquitennial)that ended in the Astrodome, and in 1987 from "Manteo to Murphy" for the '87 Olympic Festival (Raleigh-Durham-Chapel Hill)where we finally arrived in Carter Finley Stadium.

This three year period was one of my most enjoyable event planning and management experiences of my career. I loved the states that I worked in and the many thousands of runners and the hundreds of communities we ran through produced lifelong friends and lifelong memories.

I attended the Festival in 1991 in LA. I also got to carry the Olympic Festival torch during its relay through southern Calif. It was fantastic and we got to go to the Opening Ceremonies at Dodger Stadium. What a great experience. But nothing beats the experience of being a Volunteer Athlete Driver during the 2002 Salt Lake Olympics.