Commonwealth Flame

won't happen... we have the batton relay... any way i dont think the IOC would be too keen on the commonwealth games having a flame.

Does any one no how long the commonwealth games batton relay has been occurring for?

Does any one no how long the commonwealth games batton relay has been occurring for?

Here's the history lesson, from the CGF website:

The first Queen’s Baton was created for a relay to celebrate the Cardiff 1958 Commonwealth Games in Wales. Since then the Queen’s Baton Relay has become a much loved Games tradition.

The baton’s journey symbolises the unity and shared ideals of the Commonwealth of Nations, and enables communities beyond the host city to share the Games celebrations. It also serves a functional purpose in carrying Her Majesty’s ‘message to the athletes’ from Buckingham Palace in London to the opening ceremony.

How bout both?

Ya can't have both (i.e a baton torch). The IOC wouldn't allow it as the Commonwealth Games are not associated with the Olympics, only the respective governing bodies of the sports contested at the Games.

I think this is too olympic for the IOC...

has the flame anything to do with the commonwealth games?

It should! The Asian Games, SEA Games, All-African Games, Pan-Am Games, Olympics and Special Olympics use the Olympic flame! But why not the Commonwealth?

They just copy the Olympic Games.

The Queen's Baton is enough. Not everyone needs to copy cat the Olympics. With the CG's its kind of nice that they go out and create their own traditions.

It should! The Asian Games, SEA Games, All-African Games, Pan-Am Games, Olympics and Special Olympics use the Olympic flame! But why not the Commonwealth?

These are affiliated with the local National Olympic Committees (NOCs) and organised by the relevant regional Olympic Council. The Commonwealth Games Federation (CGF) on the other hand has not affiliations with the IOC, and the seperate competing nations have separate Commonwealth Games committees. It is quite separate from the Olympics.

Anyway, as has been said, the Commonwealth Baton is a nicee tradition of its own with its own history now. It feels now that it suits the CWGs better.

I agree. It would just be too copy cat to have a flame, it would be pointless. And I kinda like the fact that they have come up with their own symbol.

There wouldnt be alot of meaning to it, if someone just decided to introduce a flame. And besides, the baton has its special touch too, in the fact that it transports the Queens message to the opening ceremony.

And I think as ceremonies become more of an integral part of the organisation of a Commonwealth Games, the various directors and creative minds will come up with new ideas on how to incorporate the arrival of the baton into the stadium.

- Auckland 1990: the arrival of the baton carried by Mark Todd on Olympic champion horse - Charisma.

- Manchester 2002: the baton had a glowing orb which was brought into the stadium by someone floating in on a heliosphere

- Melbourne 2006: baton had lights on it that lit up as it travelled to each of the Commonwealth nations. Final stretch of the relay took place as part of the river show.

That is why I love the Commonwealth Games because of its uniqueness in some ways. The Queen's Baton is one of them. It will be interesting on how the Indians will bring it in their 2010 stadium at Delhi; never mind on how the whole relay will be staged. The last time, for 2006, it went around the world before entering Australian territory.

The Baton Only!!!!

It really is something special, and it is getting event more high-tech every year. There are some magical moments, as have been mentioned...

However, the last baton relay was far too long...Australia! Over the top as usual!!! :angry:

The Baton Only!!!!

It really is something special, and it is getting event more high-tech every year. There are some magical moments, as have been mentioned...

However, the last baton relay was far too long...Australia! Over the top as usual!!! :angry:

yea i agree that the last baton relay dragged on for a little bit too long... It visited every country in the commonwealth didnt it?

yea i agree that the last baton relay dragged on for a little bit too long... It visited every country in the commonwealth didnt it?

Literally. By foot in every Commonwealth country nonetheless.

Literally. By foot in every Commonwealth country nonetheless.

IMO half the countries that it pased through simply don't deserve to be in the Commonwealth!

And Australia's oneupmanship almost put me off the Baton relay. The Baton should just go straight to the Country of host via the previous and next host! Like it use to.

One thing I really like is the fact that there is ONLY the one Baton, you are really lucky if you get to touch it, unlike the torches for the Olympic Flame which are many and some flames are still burning in some unlikley places!

IMO half the countries that it pased through simply don't deserve to be in the Commonwealth!

And Australia's oneupmanship almost put me off the Baton relay. The Baton should just go straight to the Country of host via the previous and next host! Like it use to.

One thing I really like is the fact that there is ONLY the one Baton, you are really lucky if you get to touch it, unlike the torches for the Olympic Flame which are many and some flames are still burning in some unlikley places!

haha yea

The use of a flame/ torch relay is not uniquely an Olympic thing (although the Olympic Flame is the orginial), I believe they use one in the FISU World University Games, which I understand is not affliated to the Olympic Movement. I am sure they certainly do not have a copyright over it, only the world "Olympic", not "flame" or "torch relay" - so at the end of the day, whether a torch relay would upset the IOC or not, I don't foresee any legal implications (i.e. "tough sh!t").

However, this does not mean that every event has to have one. The one of the bigger, practical purposes of the Flame or Baton is that it promotes and generates interest the games where it visits (generally speaking). One or the other is sufficient enough, and I think that the Queen's Baton Relay is certainly something that makes the Commonwealth Games unique. As people relate the (olympic) flame to the Olympic Games, they relate the Baton Relay to the Commenwealth Games. To change it would be detremental, not a benefit, as the Baton is a great (and unique) brand (and marketing tool).

Archived