2015 Pan American Games?

How about Montreal? Montreal is sorta attempting to get back on the world stage when it comes to multi-sporting events, could a 2015 Pan Am games help them? Maybe with the Olympic Stadium reverted to it's supposed 58,500 or so capacity (with athletics track) it was for 1976? Perhaps the aquatic center remodeled? Is it possible to bring it back into a 10,000 or so capacity as it was in 1976? And a new velodrome would probably need to be built, even if it were temporary...

Who knows? Of course, it'll probably be too expensive for Montreal, and fears of another bankruptcy and loss and such... maybe? :unsure:

I doubt Toronto or Montreal would be interested in the Pan-Am's.

I definitely could see Ottawa hosting the Pan Ams. It's time the capital city of the country hosts a major sporting event.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I doubt Toronto or Montreal would be interested in the Pan-Am's.

I definitely could see Ottawa hosting the Pan Ams. It's time the capital city of the country hosts a major sporting event.

Toronto? Probably not, but Montreal does need a big sporting event (though a Football World Cup could do the trick, but then again probably not) to show it's readiness for a future Olympic Games. (or at least to prove that it can host a large scale sporting event with a minimal loss or even an unlikely profit) :huh:

Toronto? Probably not, but Montreal does need a big sporting event (though a Football World Cup could do the trick, but then again probably not) to show it's readiness for a future Olympic Games. (or at least to prove that it can host a large scale sporting event with a minimal loss or even an unlikely profit) :huh:

To show it's readiness for a future Olympic Games??? I doubt Montreal will be hosting any Olympic games in the not too distant future.

COC's priorities

1.Preparing and organizing for a great games in Vancouver 2010

2.Help get a Summer Olympics in Toronto

3.Get another Winter Olympics in Quebec City

Why do people still believe Montreal would actually win another Summer Olympics after that financial disaster?

To show it's readiness for a future Olympic Games??? I doubt Montreal will be hosting any Olympic games in the not too distant future.

COC's priorities

1.Preparing and organizing for a great games in Vancouver 2010

2.Help get a Summer Olympics in Toronto

3.Get another Winter Olympics in Quebec City

Why do people still believe Montreal would actually win another Summer Olympics after that financial disaster?

Guess some of them are desperate to have Canada host another Summer Olympics. But, with the state of summer Olympians "far behind" their winter counterparts, I think there needs to be some priorities set up for them, too, throughout Canada. With the Halifax 2014 fiasco, however, I think the current disarray will show at Beijing 2008. Oh, well. Time for Rogge to show his face again at Ottawa, just like what he did after Athens 2004.

Guess some of them are desperate to have Canada host another Summer Olympics. But, with the state of summer Olympians "far behind" their winter counterparts, I think there needs to be some priorities set up for them, too, throughout Canada. With the Halifax 2014 fiasco, however, I think the current disarray will show at Beijing 2008. Oh, well. Time for Rogge to show his face again at Ottawa, just like what he did after Athens 2004.

Desperate to have another Summer Olympics in Canada? OK, but it won't be in Montreal again.

Check this out

Year Games Host City Country

1951 I Buenos Aires Argentina- South America

1955 II Mexico City Mexico-North America

1959 III Chicago United States- North America

1963 IV São Paulo Brazil- South America

1967 V Winnipeg Canada- North America

1971 VI Cali Colombia- South America

1975 VII Mexico City Mexico- North America

1979 VIII San Juan Puerto Rico- Central America/Caribbean

1983 IX Caracas Venezuela- South America

1987 X Indianapolis United States- North America

1991 XI Havana Cuba- Central America/ Caribbean

1995 XII Mar del Plata Argentina-South America

1999 XIII Winnipeg Canada- North America

2003 XIV Santo Domingo Dominican Republic- Central America/Caribbean

2007 XV Rio de Janeiro Brazil- South America

2011 XVI Guadalajara Mexico-North America

2015 Central Amrica/Caribbean????

Check the South-North-Central/Caribbean pattern

Check this out

Year Games Host City Country

1951 I Buenos Aires Argentina- South America

1955 II Mexico City Mexico-North America

1959 III Chicago United States- North America

1963 IV São Paulo Brazil- South America

1967 V Winnipeg Canada- North America

1971 VI Cali Colombia- South America

1975 VII Mexico City Mexico- North America

1979 VIII San Juan Puerto Rico- Central America/Caribbean

1983 IX Caracas Venezuela- South America

1987 X Indianapolis United States- North America

1991 XI Havana Cuba- Central America/ Caribbean

1995 XII Mar del Plata Argentina-South America

1999 XIII Winnipeg Canada- North America

2003 XIV Santo Domingo Dominican Republic- Central America/Caribbean

2007 XV Rio de Janeiro Brazil- South America

2011 XVI Guadalajara Mexico-North America

2015 Central Amrica/Caribbean????

Check the South-North-Central/Caribbean pattern

Is Mexico actually considered North America? I always thought of it as Central America.

Ok, I think I may have came off stupid with my previous comment. It is apart of North America but I'm so used to the USA and Canada when I think of North America. Mexico is so south that I automatically assume it's part of Central America.

I suppose the American cities are tired of bidding especially if they're certain not to win if a South American, Mexican or Central American/Caribbean city were to compete against it (shame for the "little" US cities that would make great hosts), Canada is probably similar... (especially given Halifax's withdrawal from the 2014 Commonwealth Games bidding), and ultimately, the powers that be want to bid for a proper Olympics or other larger scale international sporting event anyways...

Ok enough blabbering, I say that Jamaica aught to be the next Caribbean city to bid, it would offer a good excuse to upgrade the facilities built for the 1966 British Empire and Commonwealth Games, and build new ones of course, as well as temporary facilities and venues. they'll most certainly get the support of PASO and the Jamaican public and NOC. :mellow:

Googling, I found that Peru wants to host the 2015 (after I read in the newspapers here).

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
Well it looks like Toronto and Hamilton will put forth bids in the near future for the 2015 edition. It would be a no brainer who would win the domestic rights here.

Halifax?

:lol:

Well it looks like Toronto and Hamilton will put forth bids in the near future for the 2015 edition. It would be a no brainer who would win the domestic rights here.

Halifax?

:lol:

• 3 months later...
There are talks now that Toronto wants to host the 2015 Pan Ams as a setup for a 2020 Olympics bid.

Well, it looks like Toronto is certainly going to be in the mix _ albeit a very spread-out bid:

Pan Am Games bid on tap for the Golden Horseshoe

Dave Perkins

Having twice fallen short of landing an Olympics, could Toronto be happy as part of a Pan Am Games? That's what the Canadian Olympic Committee will find out, having decided to move forward with a bid for the 2015 Pan Ams that could become a Golden Horseshoe Games, with Toronto as part of it.

With non-professional sports facilities in southern Ontario so lacking, in both quality and number, the COC recognizes the only way to get something built in Canada's largest province is to first obtain an event, then get governments to contribute.

"We're looking seriously at a bid for 2015. We had a board meeting last weekend and the COC has endorsed moving forward,'' Chris Rudge, CEO of the COC, said yesterday. "We'll have a broader statement in about a week. When we begin the process, we give all cities across the country a chance (to bid). That's a given. But we do have to think a little more strategically and we acknowledge the number of facilities needed in the Golden Horseshoe and what would be the best way to get them.''

The plan, still very much in its infancy, is to run a Games from St. Catharines to Markham, with events also taking place in Hamilton, Oakville, Mississauga – Mayor Hazel McCallion already is an enthusiastic supporter – and Vaughan. Toronto would be part of it, likely for soccer and baseball, opening and closing ceremonies and whatever else comes about.

The Star _ "Golden Horseshoe" Bid

This is retarded.

If they want Toronto to be apart of this then they would have to have the majority of the sporting facilities in Toronto and then having a few other sports spread around the Greater Toronto area such as Vaughan and Mississauga. The main core of the venues should be in Toronto though and by the sounds of this article it sounds like they are spreading out the venues evenly through various Southern Ontario cities which is really dumb in my opinion.

It would be stupid to spread them out, the distance between St. Catherine's and Vaughn is pushing 3 hours, this is stupid.

Tell me about it.

:blink:

Makes me wonder what the hell is running through the minds of the COC officials. Just because all these southern Ontario cities are interested doesn't mean everything should be spread out equally. Award the bidding rights to one city (which we know Toronto would win), those bid officials from Toronto should then make the decision afterwards if they want to locate 3-4 sports outside the city of Toronto's limits into the greater regions if it suits that sporting event.

This is retarded.

If they want Toronto to be apart of this then they would have to have the majority of the sporting facilities in Toronto and then having a few other sports spread around the Greater Toronto area such as Vaughan and Mississauga. The main core of the venues should be in Toronto though and by the sounds of this article it sounds like they are spreading out the venues evenly through various Southern Ontario cities which is really dumb in my opinion.

That's what I thought when I first read it. I'm glad you guys have confirmed that.

And this is supposed to be the foundation of a future Olympic bid???

:huh:

That's what I thought when I first read it. I'm glad you guys have confirmed that.

And this is supposed to be the foundation of a future Olympic bid???

:huh:

Well any future Olympic bid won't be like that. Toronto's previous bids were concentrated on Toronto's waterfront. I doubt they'll change that drastically in the future.

I believe if the COC and Toronto go through with a 2015 Pan Am bid, things will change. Yes, Mississauga, Markham, Hamilton would be included as they really aren't that far of a distance by car. But they would host minimal events compared to Toronto's agenda I hope. I believe all those cities I listed above were included as part of Toronto's 2008 bid as well as St.Catherines for Canoe/Kayak, Hamilton for Boxing, Markham for Soccer, and Mississauga for a sport that I can't remember at the moment.

Well any future Olympic bid won't be like that. Toronto's previous bids were concentrated on Toronto's waterfront. I doubt they'll change that drastically in the future.

I believe if the COC and Toronto go through with a 2015 Pan Am bid, things will change. Yes, Mississauga, Markham, Hamilton would be included as they really aren't that far of a distance by car. But they would host minimal events compared to Toronto's agenda I hope. I believe all those cities I listed above were included as part of Toronto's 2008 bid as well as St.Catherines for Canoe/Kayak, Hamilton for Boxing, Markham for Soccer, and Mississauga for a sport that I can't remember at the moment.

I don't get why C/K was in St. Kitts, but rowing was in toronto.

The problem is Toronto is in no position to bid for any large event at this time. They are having a budget crisis and will have a hard time getting the provinical government's support. Local politicians would have a hard time justifying this bid to taxpayers.

Thus, a golden horseshoe bid spreads the risk and responsibility (the COC's strategy). But - as we know - it won't work.

The problem is Toronto is in no position to bid for any large event at this time. They are having a budget crisis and will have a hard time getting the provinical government's support. Local politicians would have a hard time justifying this bid to taxpayers.

Thus, a golden horseshoe bid spreads the risk and responsibility (the COC's strategy). But - as we know - it won't work.

Just give it to Ottawa

Archived