2015 Pan American Games?

Well the 2007 version will be commencing in a month in Rio, Brazil.

The 2011 competition will be in Guadalajara, Mexico.

Does anybody know who will be bidding for 2015? Any rumors of who may be interested in putting forth a bid?

Guadalajara was the only city that put a formal bid forward for the 2011 games.

I wonder if there will only be 1-2 bid cities again for 2015.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Well the 2007 version will be commencing in a month in Rio, Brazil.

The 2011 competition will be in Guadalajara, Mexico.

Does anybody know who will be bidding for 2015? Any rumors of who may be interested in putting forth a bid?

Guadalajara was the only city that put a formal bid forward for the 2011 games.

I wonder if there will only be 1-2 bid cities again for 2015.

Didn't someone post recently that there were two US cities already planning bids. I can't remember which ones now, but neither of them was San Antonio, I remember.

Didn't someone post recently that there were two US cities already planning bids. I can't remember which ones now, but neither of them was San Antonio, I remember.

Maybe San Francisco since their Olympic dreams were dashed?

It seems to me that the USA are not highly interested in hosting the PanAm Games.....Is that correct and why is that? I think it would be interesting for "smaller" cities who cannot complete in the American race for the Olmpics, to host these Games. 1987 was the last time and even then as a substitute for Santiago (?).....

Year Games Host City Country

1951 I Buenos Aires Argentina

1955 II Mexico City Mexico

1959 III Chicago United States

1963 IV São Paulo Brazil

1967 V Winnipeg Canada

1971 VI Cali Colombia

1975 VII Mexico City Mexico

1979 VIII San Juan Puerto Rico

1983 IX Caracas Venezuela

1987 X Indianapolis United States

1991 XI Havana Cuba

1995 XII Mar del Plata Argentina

1999 XIII Winnipeg Canada

2003 XIV Santo Domingo Dominican Republic

2007 XV Rio de Janeiro Brazil

2011 XVI Guadalajara Mexico

I think it will be coming back to the United States in 2015.

Year Games Host City Country

1951 I Buenos Aires Argentina

1955 II Mexico City Mexico

1963 IV São Paulo Brazil

1967 V Winnipeg Canada

1971 VI Cali Colombia

1975 VII Mexico City Mexico

1979 VIII San Juan Puerto Rico

1983 IX Caracas Venezuela

1991 XI Havana Cuba

1995 XII Mar del Plata Argentina

1999 XIII Winnipeg Canada

2003 XIV Santo Domingo Dominican Republic

2007 XV Rio de Janeiro Brazil

2011 XVI Guadalajara Mexico

I think it will be coming back to the United States in 2015.

Are there any possible bid-cities from the US?

The Pan American Games have fallen off the radar as far as sporting events in the US in concerned. The elite athletes in athletics and swimming have no interest in competing, preferring (at least for athletics) the money-paying events in Europe and elsewhere. The proliferation of world championships in the pre-Olympic year doesn't help, either. Though Rio 2007 will be broadcast on Spanish-language ESPNDeportes, there is no English speaking coverage. The last network broadcast came in 1991. Nobody was interested in 1995 because the games were in March when the sports TV calendar is already crowded. 1999 saw but an hour highlight show on ESPN2 the day after the games ended, and 2003 was ignored completely. The USOC should make participation or an attempt at participation (through team tryouts) in the Pan American Games a prerequisite for selection for the following year's Olympic team. The IOC could also help by requiring TV rights-winning holders to broadcast their particular regional games. PASO (The Pan American Sports Organization) could do their part by being a little more professional, I think they are the only sporting body in the world without a functioning website so news about the organization and the games is minimal to non-existent.

If you look at this closely theres a pattern . If you take the first 3 digits of 1987 (198) and plus 3 it'll be 201 . And in desending order of the last number , the next one should be 5 . Therefore , the year will be 2015 !

If you look at this closely theres a pattern . If you take the first 3 digits of 1987 (198) and plus 3 it'll be 201 . And in desending order of the last number , the next one should be 5 . Therefore , the year will be 2015 !

Who thinks of these things?

I was hoping that I could find which cities would host the Pan American Games through Wikipedia. Unfortunally, it wasn't there. I don't know. I hope that Toronto will get the Pan American Games for 2015.

I was hoping that I could find which cities would host the Pan American Games through Wikipedia. Unfortunally, it wasn't there. I don't know. I hope that Toronto will get the Pan American Games for 2015.

It could be possible but Toronto seems much too big. They tend to go to the smaller Canadian cities. I'm surprised that Winnipeg is the only Canadian city to have hosted the Pan Ams.

There was some interest in Houston attempting to get 2nd and 3rd tier events after the failure to be the US city for the 2012 Games. Some in the Houston area expressed interest in attempting to get the Pan Am Games or possibly a World University Games in the future. Right now, Houston is one of two finalists for the USA Boxing World Trials later this summer.

After the US Olympic Festival in 1986, Houston was primed to go after events. They are slowly building their rep and experience up to where is used to be to obtain top level events.

Houston has most of the facilities here for any major event, but the one thing that turns everybody off is the heat.

I have not heard anything recently about Houston going after the 2015 Pan Am Games. I feel they could put on successful games, however receiving the bid the problem. And you have to remember the HEAT!!!

Oh well, we do have air conditioning for the indoor events.

I will keep this forum posted if I hear anything about Houston and the Pan Am Games.

It could be possible but Toronto seems much too big. They tend to go to the smaller Canadian cities. I'm surprised that Winnipeg is the only Canadian city to have hosted the Pan Ams.

Yeah, the same goes for me here, too. However, with that Halifax 2014 fiasco, I wonder if the Pan-Ams would suit it better than the Commonwealth Games. As for Toronto, can you really confirm that it is wanting to go for the 2013 World Games instead? I know it is off-topic here, but I ran into it a couple of hours ago. My city could go for it, but that will depend on how well it is dealing with a massive construction schedule that seems to never end here.

How about Montreal? Montreal is sorta attempting to get back on the world stage when it comes to multi-sporting events, could a 2015 Pan Am games help them? Maybe with the Olympic Stadium reverted to it's supposed 58,500 or so capacity (with athletics track) it was for 1976? Perhaps the aquatic center remodeled? Is it possible to bring it back into a 10,000 or so capacity as it was in 1976? And a new velodrome would probably need to be built, even if it were temporary...

Who knows? Of course, it'll probably be too expensive for Montreal, and fears of another bankruptcy and loss and such... maybe? :unsure:

Montreal would not need to re-configure its old aquatic center since they builted a new one for the 2005 FINA World Championships. But then again, the big question is do Montreal WANT to host the Pan-Ams?

Montreal would not need to re-configure its old aquatic center since they builted a new one for the 2005 FINA World Championships. But then again, the big question is do Montreal WANT to host the Pan-Ams?

Montreal may not host the Pan-Am Games since the velodrome has been converted into a ugly nature museum and the Olympic Stadium doesn't look like it's in a good condition to host athletics events.

Archived