World Cup 2018 Australia

Indeed, just look at that Australia vs Greece match in 2006, drew in an almost full capacity crowd, and it was merely friendly send off before the 2006 WC.

Australia has no significant experience in footbal. It wouldn't be a suprise to me if it drew with Greec cos, how the team defeated the Nigerian Super Eagle in England on a friendly match still remains a misery to me.

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply
hooray.

Roland i really dont see how Melbourne v NSW works. I'm sure if there were a franchise in eastern Melbourne and a team in Geelong those figures would be much more comparable. As for now, this is Sydney v Melbourne, not Sydney + Gosford + Newcastle v Melbourne victory.

You're right about selling out World Cup finals games so its not a matter of which venue has better access etc, however Sydney i'd think has a lesser record for football support in comparison to other Australian cities when you factor in population differences. 2004 saw only 30,000 people (at a 42,000 seat ground in Sydney) to see the Socceroos play for the first time on Australian soil since loosing to Uraguay in the 2002 qualification. Even in the old NSL days Perth would pull 35,000 to the competition final...in the last NSL grand final held in western Sydney i think they were lucky to scrap together 6,000 people.

None the less times have changed and Sydney does a lot better...but i still dont see FIFA looking past such an iconic venue like the MCG...History and the superior capacity will get to them. Sydneys had the RWC and Olympics...give Melbourne a go!

That would be fine _ if Geelong or eastern Melbourne had a franchise. But they don't. And when expansion comes, Western Sydney will either beat or tie with Vic to another franchise. that would still be four franchises to two. And to start talking about separate cities _ the central Coast is Sydney's northern dormitary suburban area (so many people I wortk with in Sydney CBD commute in daily from Gosford), and Newcastle is not much farther afield (again, I've worked with people who commute in from Newcastle). The fact is still that NSW has historically dominated in the soccer leagues in Australia. Wholwe chapters in h9ostory of siccer in Oz have been written about it.

I don't want to get into the Sydney V Melbourne slanging match. I like Melbourne, it's a nice city, I've defended it time and time again in debates here about its status as a sporting capital. But it just smacks of insecurity that as soon as the mere possibility (however unlikely it is to happen in 2018) that Australia could host a WC, the first thing the melburnians do is to stake a claim for the final ... and two stadiums ... and whinge how Sydney is crap ... and how Melburnians invented sports spectating ... and how unfair it is that Sydney gets all the attention. Honestly, they've never got over the fact that Sydney stole their crown as Australia's only Olympic city or that Captain Cook sailed into Botany Bay rather than Port Phillip Bay.

Anyway, the answer to the whole issue is easy and fair. Whichever of the two dominant cities gets two stadiums gets the opener and the bulk of the quarters and semis, whichever has the one stadium in the tournament gets the final. You can't be greedy!

I don't want to get into the Sydney V Melbourne slanging match. I like Melbourne, it's a nice city, I've defended it time and time again in debates here about its status as a sporting capital. But it just smacks of insecurity that as soon as the mere possibility (however unlikely it is to happen in 2018) that Australia could host a WC, the first thing the melburnians do is to stake a claim for the final ... and two stadiums ... and whinge how Sydney is crap ... and how Melburnians invented sports spectating ... and how unfair it is that Sydney gets all the attention.

Please don't make out that only Melbournians claim they should get everything. Go to any Australian-sports based forum and the same extravagent claims are being made- by both Melbournians and Sydneysiders. I don't think any logically minded Victorians would be asking for both the final & two stadiums- though we'll certainly express our preference. since when did anyone claim that "Melburnians invented sports spectating"? If someone actually said that, don't believe it's the common view of all Victorians. And its a bit hypocritical to say that Melbournians go on about how unfair it is that Sydney gets all the sporting limelight. It is the NSW government thats raising the state's major events funding- attempting to steal our sporting events (i.e. shown interest in Aus Open, F1 GP, AFL GF, Melbourne Cup (I think the latter is a bit pretentious by Morris Iemma)).

Please don't make out that only Melbournians claim they should get everything. Go to any Australian-sports based forum and the same extravagent claims are being made- by both Melbournians and Sydneysiders. I don't think any logically minded Victorians would be asking for both the final & two stadiums- though we'll certainly express our preference. since when did anyone claim that "Melburnians invented sports spectating"? If someone actually said that, don't believe it's the common view of all Victorians. And its a bit hypocritical to say that Melbournians go on about how unfair it is that Sydney gets all the sporting limelight. It is the NSW government thats raising the state's major events funding- attempting to steal our sporting events (i.e. shown interest in Aus Open, F1 GP, AFL GF, Melbourne Cup (I think the latter is a bit pretentious by Morris Iemma)).

I haven't heard of Iemma saying that. Even if he did, it would have been tongue-in-cheek. Of course it's impossible that NSW would pinch the Melbourne Cup, the AFL GF or the Australian Open. (The F1 GP is up for grabs though _ you guys stole it off Adelaide after all. Though it's more likely to go to India or Russia if you don't cave into Bernie Ecclestone's blackmail).

Okay, Truce. I'll step back a bit. As I said, I do hate the Sydney V Melbourne feuding _ and I repeat I've been a big defender of Melbourne here in the past. But I don't hold my tongue when the non-NSW members here resort to the old Sydney bashing (and don't say that didn't happen _ eg: Lord David _ "Melbourne is way better than crap old Sydney.", Aaron _ "Sydney is not a football city" etc etc). Looking back, I see that you indeed did agree that whoever gets the two stadiums, the other major city gets the final _ thanks for agreeing on that. But many other posts, over and over again from others on this and other threads, launch into the same old bleats whenever someone has the temerity to suggest a WC final would go anywhere but the MCG. Fine, that's a Melburnian's prerogative to believe, you guys love your city as much as I love mine. But I get pissed off, and this week I reached breaking point, at the tired old Sydney-bashing that comes out from non-NSWers, usually motivated by little but envy.

Archived