World Cup 2018 Australia

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Australia's Stadiums by 2016 (either existing now or planned by 2016)

Rectangular

Suncorp Stadium, Brisbane (52,000)

Melbourne Football Stadium, Melbourne (50,000)

Adelaide FC Football Stadium, Adelaide (45,000)

Energy Australia Stadium, Newcastle (25,000)

Dairy Farmers Stadium, Townsville (25,000)

Central Coast Stadium, Gosford (20,000)

Canberra Stadium, Canberra (24,000)

Semi-Rectangular

Stadium Western Australia, Perth (65,000)

Telstra Stadium, Sydney (84,000)

Oval

Melbourne Cricket Ground, Melbourne (98,000)

10 Stadiums, 9 cities, 5 states and 1 territory.

*excluding Telstra Dome from the plans, and fast tracking the expansion of the Melbourne Football Stadium (which is planned for 2020-2025) allows roughly the same capacity AND for AFL matches to be played, should the WC be held between March-September. Obviously the GABBA, WACA, SCG, AMII Stadium, Launceston and Cararra will all still be available to take on AFL/NRL games during the period.

I would expect FIFA to pick Sydney has the double stadium host because its bigger and more well-known then Melbourne. Also FIFA would be selecting the stadiums and would not necessarily care if there is not games being played in one area or another.

:rolleyes: Oh I think Australia is thinking strategically here...2022 stands a better chance. But as they did for the failed Melbourne 1996 Olympic bid, this (bid '18) would be a stepping stone for a better chance. Football in Australia is now in it's "middle years" in development, a good showing by the socceroos in 2010 and '14 will be a must.

As for dealing with FIFA...Well Australia handled the Samaranche IOC quite well didn't they? And Beijing was an issue back then (1993) as well wasn't it? And FIFA knows not to mess with the IOC!

What are the chances of Perth, Darwin, Hobart playing host together with the big cities?

Perth is a definite, as for Darwin and Hobart, it can happen for a variety of reasons.

Firstly, it would ensure that Hobart gets a world class rectangular stadium in order to obtain an A-League franchise or even an NRL team.

As for Darwin, an upgrade of Marrara stadium is most logical considering the construction of a 40,000 seater rectangle stadium is not viable for a city that likes AFL as opposed to the other football codes, it will surely boost Soccer popularity in the city, bring key sporting infrastructure to the stadium and ensure that all states and territories are involved in the World Cup.

An upgrade of Marrara stadium to 40,000 (which would use the existing 5,000 seater stand, perhaps build a 15,000 seater wing on the other side along with two 5,000 seater temporary stands along the goal ends of the stadium), is feasible.

So basically, a truly Australian World Cup, would involve all capitals as well as other cities which have stadiums that could host games. Granted, around half would be oval based stadiums, but this shouldn't be too much of a problem. It will be a memorable and successful World Cup even with some oval based grounds.

I would expect FIFA to pick Sydney has the double stadium host because its bigger and more well-known then Melbourne. Also FIFA would be selecting the stadiums and would not necessarily care if there is not games being played in one area or another.

I wouldn think so.

The only way Sydney could lure a double stadium chance is with building a new venue. Melbourne will have the MCG (100,000) and a choice between a new 50,000seat stadium or a flashy Telstra Dome more than capable of impressing FIFA with its facilities and location. Sydney offers only an 84,000 seat stadum and 43,000 football stadium, built in the 80's. Nothing against Sydney Football Stadium, it is a great, FIFA hosting, capable venue but i just think the larger capacities in Melbourne, the better locations (relative to transport and CBD's) and the overall football culture in the Victorian capital will be a bigger carrot for FIFA.

Sydney could well host the final but i'd think Melbourne will get the double plug.

I wouldn think so.

The only way Sydney could lure a double stadium chance is with building a new venue. Melbourne will have the MCG (100,000) and a choice between a new 50,000seat stadium or a flashy Telstra Dome more than capable of impressing FIFA with its facilities and location. Sydney offers only an 84,000 seat stadum and 43,000 football stadium, built in the 80's. Nothing against Sydney Football Stadium, it is a great, FIFA hosting, capable venue but i just think the larger capacities in Melbourne, the better locations (relative to transport and CBD's) and the overall football culture in the Victorian capital will be a bigger carrot for FIFA.

Sydney could well host the final but i'd think Melbourne will get the double plug.

An Australian hosting would be similar to the French. France and Australia have been been highly centralized around a small number of cities (Marseilles, Paris and Nice and than Sydney and Melbourne) and than having medium sized regional centers. Paris as the largest and most renowned city hosted two venues, Sydney is the Paris of Australia and would be FIFA's preference for a double venue holder. The final would also be in Sydney because Stadium Australia is more suited to football and would have been television and atmosphere. In a perfect world of Australia, FIFA would bend the rules and allow both Melbourne and Sydney to host two venues but this is not gonna happen because a similar thing would have also been beneficial to South Africa's hosting with Cape Town and Johannesburg.

I would also expect that the majority of venues would be dropped for the knock-out stages like for the upcoming Switzerland-Austria European Championships so that the largest venues in the cities that are more capable of handling the crowds would be able to host the round of 16, quarters, semis and finals. Adelaide, Sydney, Melbourne and Perth would probably share those duties.

An Australian hosting would be similar to the French. France and Australia have been been highly centralized around a small number of cities (Marseilles, Paris and Nice and than Sydney and Melbourne) and than having medium sized regional centers. Paris as the largest and most renowned city hosted two venues, Sydney is the Paris of Australia and would be FIFA's preference for a double venue holder. The final would also be in Sydney because Stadium Australia is more suited to football and would have been television and atmosphere. In a perfect world of Australia, FIFA would bend the rules and allow both Melbourne and Sydney to host two venues but this is not gonna happen because a similar thing would have also been beneficial to South Africa's hosting with Cape Town and Johannesburg.

I would also expect that the majority of venues would be dropped for the knock-out stages like for the upcoming Switzerland-Austria European Championships so that the largest venues in the cities that are more capable of handling the crowds would be able to host the round of 16, quarters, semis and finals. Adelaide, Sydney, Melbourne and Perth would probably share those duties.

Good that it isn't a perfect world! ;) I say the idea of Melbourne and Sydney hosting 2 venues is not that much of a good idea, as a World Cup might easily fall during the winter months of June and July, which would be in the middle of the other football code seasons. The NRL would have extensive use of Sydney's Football Stadium to compensate for the fact that the Olympic Stadium would be used for the World Cup and the AFL would make extensive use of Docklands Stadium as the MCG would be used for the World Cup (and it is possible, that by 2018, some of the former AFL grounds in the Melbourne area would have been significantly upgraded to a state that permits them to host matches again (Which would be most important if Geelong's Kardinia park is permitted as a stadium to host World Cup matches))

It should also be noted that the stadiums selected would be out of regular action for around 2 months, so careful planning, extensive use of alternate venues for the other codes, would help ease the prospects of a lack of stadiums to hold the regular season games of clubs from the 2 football codes.

I say the idea of Melbourne and Sydney hosting 2 venues is not that much of a good idea, as a World Cup might easily fall during the winter months of June and July, which would be in the middle of the other football code seasons.

I am convinced that Australia would be a wonderful host of the FIFA World Cup - is it possible to switch the seasons of the other football codes to another date?

I am convinced that Australia would be a wonderful host of the FIFA World Cup - is it possible to switch the seasons of the other football codes to another date?

It might be possible to have say a two month break and have the finals season for both codes during October, but I don't think it would be necessary, just have Sydney's Football Stadium, Docklands stadium and other such stadiums for the football codes be used for the football codes, it's a decent compromise for the other major stadiums being used for the World Cup.

The slight problem would be Kardinia Park in Geelong. If that stadium is selected as a venue (which would ensure federal funding to upgrade it to WC standard), then it might be a bit of a stretch for AFL teams based in Melbourne, unless York Park in Launceston is used as a compensator, or one of the AFL team training grounds is sufficiently upgraded by then to host AFL matches again.

So basically speaking, a break or changing of dates, or the at most the worse would be no football for the year, doesn't need to happen. Careful planning, and utilization of other available venues should be deemed adequate to support the football codes season for that WC year.

Even the Aussie bookies don't rate our chances:

Bookies can't back World Cup bid

March 2, 2008

THE government should save its money and the AFL and NRL shelve any plans to rearrange their seasons if local bookmakers' dismissive reaction to Australia's bid for the 2018 World Cup is anything to go by.

Lasseters quote Australia at $34 to host the tournament in 10 years and while TabSportsbet wouldn't frame an official market, spokesman Gary Davies said it would bet around the $101 mark.

England is the favourite to win the bid at $1.50 with Lasseters, which has Russia next best at $6 in a market dominated by European countries. China is the shortest-priced country in the Asia-Pacific region at $17.

"Common sense says everything points to England," said Lasseters' Gerard Daffy. "Australia has some major stumbling blocks. The time zone is an issue and there are no purpose-built stadia."

British bookmakers are not so cool on Australia's hopes of hosting the tournament in 2018. Hills said it would consider making Australia second favourite behind England, while Bet365 thought $9 was a realistic price.

"We wouldn't be making you favourites, but also not a stupid price because we all know how competitive the Aussies are!" said Steve Freeth of bet365.

The decision on which country will win the the right to host the tournament will be made by FIFA in October 2011. The cost of the bid up to that point is estimated at more than $35 million. The bid needs the co-operation of the AFL and NRL, who would have to suspend or radically rearrange their seasons over the month-long period.

Lasseters betting on the bid for the 2018 World Cup: $1.50 England, $6 Russia, $8 Portugal/Spain, $13 Belgium/Netherlands, $17 China, $26 USA, $34 Australia, $51+ others.

Hmmm...sounds like a cunning ploy by those wily Aussies,saddling England with the curse of the favourite! :unsure:

I think the Brit bookies should play 'em at their own game and promptly make Australia the favourite at once!!

We can play hard-ball too!! :lol:

Why must we be rated last? Surely FIFA consider us as a new frontier, a qualify to South Africa 2010 would most definitely boost our chances, upgrades and construction to a good mix of rectangular and oval stadiums would benefit all football codes. This would be core sporting infrastructure for the future, the revenue possibilities are reasonable, provided that the budget is kept in check. Why should we be considered last? Because of a current lack of FIFA WC standard stadiums?

Why must we be rated last? Surely FIFA consider us as a new frontier, a qualify to South Africa 2010 would most definitely boost our chances, upgrades and construction to a good mix of rectangular and oval stadiums would benefit all football codes. This would be core sporting infrastructure for the future, the revenue possibilities are reasonable, provided that the budget is kept in check. Why should we be considered last? Because of a current lack of FIFA WC standard stadiums?

Well, these are the punters who are making their judgement, and predominantly Aussie ones at that. And I tend to agree with their judgement, at least for 2018.

* It's hard to see England as anything but favourite. By 2018 it will be 12 years since a European world cup _ the longest time the tournament has been away from the continent. I can't see them sitting out another round.

* Like it or not, our progress at WC 2006 or not, we are minnows when it comes to world soccer. I really think we need to prove 2006 was not a fluke and perform respectably again in South Africa before we'll be taken seriously. Remember, we really flopped in last year's Asian Cup! Remember, 2006 was only the second time in the entire history of the tournament we ever made it to the finals. And it's still a second sport for most Aussies behind AFL, Rugby League or Rugby Union (depending on what State you're from).

* China and the USA probably seem like a lot more lucrative markets for FIFA.

I'm not saying we shouldn't bid _ it's good experience and may set us up well for a better chance tilt at 2022. Then we might have a better chance.

Well, these are the punters who are making their judgement, and predominantly Aussie ones at that. And I tend to agree with their judgement, at least for 2018.

* It's hard to see England as anything but favourite. By 2018 it will be 12 years since a European world cup _ the longest time the tournament has been away from the continent. I can't see them sitting out another round.

Exactly. I can't see FIFA ignoring Europe for a third consecutive time. They just gave 2010 & 2014 away, I can't see them doing that yet again. It's their strongest continent. How can they just keep bypassing them. It's theirs to lose.

Well IMO, Australia should be able to mount a great bid, even if we don't win. Of course the Achilles heel would be Darwin, if Marrara stadium is chosen as a venue.

Ideally for the upgrade this plan should be followed:

Upgrade of existing 5,000 seater grandstand, removal of corporate boxes, and redesigning of sky boxes boxes level to fit a single level, add a 10,000 seater second tier (15,000 capacity).

Construction of a duplicate of this grandstand on the opposite side of the stadium (15,000 capacity).

A 5,000 seater temporary grandstand on each goal end of the stadium (oval curved, movable (to allow for movement of seats as to allow the laying of a running track if needed)) (10,000 capacity in total).

This should be a good plan for the upgrade of the stadium as compared to say a total redevelopment or leaving the existing stand and building a large scale 2nd grandstand and such.

Also, Geelong's Kardinia park may pose some problem with concern to the look and design of the stadium, but with future upgrades, the coliseum like look that is under planning stages, it should be a reasonable venue to be used for the WC bid.

As for other venues and proposed construction of new venues, they shouldn't pose much concern, with the exception of course of funding and budget.

Well, technically, of course we could do it. No question!

It's just geopolitics that doesn't favour us!

What about budget concerns?

What about venue selection concerns?

What about the design of new stadiums that need to be built?

What about internal politics? Will all states and territory capitals be involved? Or just the major cities?

What about budget concerns?

What about venue selection concerns?

What about the design of new stadiums that need to be built?

What about internal politics? Will all states and territory capitals be involved? Or just the major cities?

If you think they're concerns, then why are you surprised that the bookies rate us last.

None of those points is anything Australia would have major problems solving _ that's our strongest point, our reputation for being effective, successful sports hosts.

If you think they're concerns, then why are you surprised that the bookies rate us last.

None of those points is anything Australia would have major problems solving _ that's our strongest point, our reputation for being effective, successful sports hosts.

Well I was just putting some points out. Yes, we most definitely will be excellent hosts.

I don't think so cos Australia has no experience in the game of football.

A solid national competition and a reputation of having some of the est event organisers going around in the country. FIFA will over look Australia's weakness in that respect considering our backgorund with OG 2000, CWG 2006, RWC 2003 and regular major events.

I'm guessing Australia will have a go for the AFC Asian Cup sometime before the bid, or upon 2018 failing, go all out for the 2019 AFC Cup. Either that or aim to host the AFC Champions League final/finals.

If not, maybe try and snare the FIFA Club World Cup away from Japan just for a while.

Archived