Montenegro Code

Got this email from Sabrina Rettondini (EOC Secretariat) on my question regarding the three letter IOC code for Montenegro. I have seen MGO and MNE used on some web sites and wanted confirmation of whether MGO or MNE would be used.

The reply is...

"

There is no acronym yet. The IOC will officially recognise the National Olympic of Montenegro early on July next on the occasion of the IOC Session to take place in Guatemala City and afterwards the acronym will be announced.

Regards.

"

Got this email from Sabrina Rettondini (EOC Secretariat) on my question regarding the three letter IOC code for Montenegro. I have seen MGO and MNE used on some web sites and wanted confirmation of whether MGO or MNE would be used.

The reply is...

"

There is no acronym yet. The IOC will officially recognise the National Olympic of Montenegro early on July next on the occasion of the IOC Session to take place in Guatemala City and afterwards the acronym will be announced.

Regards.

"

MGO for me.

• 3 weeks later...
It seems that the acronym AHO for the Netherlands Antilles (there were rumors that Curacao wanted an own team) hasn't been changed in Guatemala City - does anybody know if it was on the agenda on the ioc-meeting in Central America?

Unfortunately not, CAF.

The acronym for the Netherlands Antilles hasn't changed because there will still be a Netherlands Antilles squad at Beijing in 2008. However, in December of 2008, the Netherlands Antilles will cease to exist. The islands of Saba, Bonaire, and Sint Eustatius will directly become part of the Netherlands (and most likely fall under the Netherlands Olympic Committees' auspices, just like Guadeloupe and Martinique would fall under that of France's NOC), and Curacao and Sint Maarten would have a status similar to Aruba. The NAOC is based in Curacao, and the bulk of NAOC's athletes are also from Curacao, so when London 2012 comes around, the NAOC will probably have been renamed the Curacao Olympic Committee and the athletes will march in as Team Curacao. Sint Maarten, per the rules of the IOC, won't get its own NOC (unless it becomes a sovereign country) and any Sint Maarten athlete who wishes to compete in the Olympics would have to do so under the Netherlands flag or move to Curacao. I'm just snowballing here.

It seems that at ioc-meetings new members are adopted, but changes of acronyms are not an issue for such meetings, because the acronym for Romania was changed this year from ROM to ROU without a decission at a ioc-meeting...

I don't like that. <_< I know the Romanians converted to the French spelling but did that had anything to do with being a new EU member? Still, it should be kept the same.

I don't like that. <_< I know the Romanians converted to the French spelling but did that had anything to do with being a new EU member? Still, it should be kept the same.

I agree. It appears pretty senseless to me that even the Romanians themselves didn't want to keep the "ROM" code. I mean, they call their own country "România" -- so "ROM" should be much more accustomed to them than the French spelling "ROU". :huh: Crazy Romanians! :lol:

No it should not. Anyway, I can immediately see why a nation like South Africa changed from SAF to RSA for its Olympic code: it wanted to emphsize the new multiracial and multicultural South Africa as it was emerging from decades of international hatred and isolation for its racist policies and of coming back into the Olympic movement after 32 years. I still use SAF personally whenever I want to write South Africa in shorthand. But Romania? No way.

• 6 months later...
With their own logo, mascot, pictograms and countdown clock, tai! ;)

Logo, Mascot, Pictograms, Countdown Clock? No No No, Montenegro doesn't have those things. Will they competing in Ski Jumping or what?

No it should not. Anyway, I can immediately see why a nation like South Africa changed from SAF to RSA for its Olympic code: it wanted to emphsize the new multiracial and multicultural South Africa as it was emerging from decades of international hatred and isolation for its racist policies and of coming back into the Olympic movement after 32 years. I still use SAF personally whenever I want to write South Africa in shorthand. But Romania? No way.

If its what the Romanians want, they are entitled to it, no matter what you seem to think. The world doesn't revolve around how you think.

Archived