Parade Of Nations In Different Language

Can u pls help me with the parade orders from the past Olympic Games except in Moscow 1980 (which I know) and Sapporo 1972 (I know it as well), pls? Thanx

It is usually in the alphabetical order of the names of the NOCs in the host city language (exeception, NAGANO where they followed the English alphabetical order) so it pretty much changes from one edition of the games to the other.

It is usually in the alphabetical order of the names of the NOCs in the host city language (exeception, NAGANO where they followed the English alphabetical order) so it pretty much changes from one edition of the games to the other.

In Tokyo's case, the paraded in English alphabetical order as well as Sapporo in 1972.

For the 1988 Olympics, I *think* I remember seeing footage of the countries coming out in alphabetical order according to the Korean, or Hangeul alphabet. I don't remember the footage clearly, but going by the alphabet I would imagine countries starting with 'G' would come out first.

The order would be: G, N, D, R/L, M, B, S, vowels, J, CH, K/Q, T, P and H.

The first country would have been Ghana, because it is pronounced with a "gah," which happens to be the first syllable in Korean. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong.

For the 1988 Olympics, I *think* I remember seeing footage of the countries coming out in alphabetical order according to the Korean, or Hangeul alphabet. I don't remember the footage clearly, but going by the alphabet I would imagine countries starting with 'G' would come out first.

The order would be: G, N, D, R/L, M, B, S, vowels, J, CH, K/Q, T, P and H.

The first country would have been Ghana, because it is pronounced with a "gah," which happens to be the first syllable in Korean. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong.

Actually you're right because I remember reading the 1988 Guinness Book of the Olympics mentioning as a part of their preview up to Seoul that the interesting thing in the Opening Ceremony was of the letter G starting things off in the Parade of Nations. Greece of course would start things, but then Ghana would be next.

Barcelona went in the French language for the parade of nations so that, even though both Spanish and Catalan were also official languages with English since it was in Catalan country, neither passionate Spanish nor Catalan speakers would get upset.

Montreal went in French since it was in Quebec.

Archived