Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

NoNameNoCity

Who's Going To Guatemala City?!?!?

Yes, getting close.

Besides the 2014 decision, anybody else have any idea what's going to be on the agenda? Is the sports program up for consideration again (I seem to remember Rogge saying the whole thing, including a replacement/replacements for softball and baseball would be coming up again).

Where's Guardian when you need him _ he'd know!

I heard there will be some addmitance into the IOC from 1 or 2 of those tiny island nations as well as some lobbying from Softball & Baseball

Yes, getting close.

Besides the 2014 decision, anybody else have any idea what's going to be on the agenda? Is the sports program up for consideration again (I seem to remember Rogge saying the whole thing, including a replacement/replacements for softball and baseball would be coming up again).

Where's Guardian when you need him _ he'd know!

Well, I haven't been caught up on these news lately, but I don't think there will be replacement sports anytime soon. With the IOC, however, that is still up in the air. As for those new 4 potential IOC members, they all have pretty much got their membership cards. It is really rare for the IOC EB to be rejected of their decisions in this matter by the whole active IOC membership at IOC Session time.

Actually, a third of the IOC members elected before the end the 110th Session (Lausanne, December 99), will stand for re-election (except if they have reached 80 years old) for a new 8-year term (Olympic Charter, Rule 16). Another third will go through the same procedure in Beijing next year while the remaining will do so in Copenhagen in 2009.

The various thirds were selected through random ballot during the 111th Session in Sydney and, according to around the rings, Rogge is standing for re-election this year (although I am not sure the rule applies to the President).

I suspect they will all be re-elected but it would be fun to have some surprises.

4 weeks to go!!

Another thing I forgot to add....good luck trying to get a hotel room!! *Everything* is sold out, last I heard the Princess Hotel had *two* rooms left. Forget the Marriott, Holiday Inn, Best Western, Westin Camino Real, Real Intercontinental, even the media hotel (Biltmore Express) is sold out. I was lucky to get a room at the Princess (but had to go thru a concierge service to pull a few strings as when I called the hotel directly, they told me THEY were sold out.)

One hotel (can't recall offhand) just decided to CLOSE for the entire week----they didn't want to deal with IOC Sesssion-related business.

Another thing I forgot to add....good luck trying to get a hotel room!! *Everything* is sold out, last I heard the Princess Hotel had *two* rooms left. Forget the Marriott, Holiday Inn, Best Western, Westin Camino Real, Real Intercontinental, even the media hotel (Biltmore Express) is sold out. I was lucky to get a room at the Princess (but had to go thru a concierge service to pull a few strings as when I called the hotel directly, they told me THEY were sold out.)

One hotel (can't recall offhand) just decided to CLOSE for the entire week----they didn't want to deal with IOC Sesssion-related business.

With the closure of the Marriott for that week (and the loss of aprox. 500 rooms), that is huge. With the IOC virtually taking over the Intercontinental and the Westin Camino Real, the rest of us are left scrambling. Last I heard, over 500 media have registered. There are rooms available in the 'cheap' hostel-type places but there is always going to be a security issue with Guatemala (look at your State Dept. advisories in the past) and I would prefer to know there is a security guard/policeman downstairs and/or quick access to local police if need be.

So who is in GC from GamesBids? Rob?

Hope you're keeping out of the firing line:

GUATEMALA CITY, July 5, 2007 (AFP) - Gangs armed with AK-47 rifles battled police in two separate skirmishes outside Guatemala City overnight that left eight people dead, the interior minister said Thursday.

Police responding to emergency calls in the capital's suburb of Esperanza were ambushed by a gang in an attack that left two officers, two assailants and two passersby dead, said Interior Minister Adela de Torrebiarte.

``When they arrived in the area, the police officers were fired on by gang members armed with Kalachnikovs (AK-47 rifles),'' Torrebiarte said.

In the second incident in Palencia, about 25 kilometers north of Guatemala City, an undercover agent and a gang member died after exchanging fire.

This Central American country has also been hit by politically-motivated assassinations ahead of the September 9 elections, with about 50 members of parties and local candidates killed since the beginning of the year.

Wednesday, the mayor of San Cristobal Acasaguastlan, a small town east of the capital, was killed by unkown assailants. And an adviser to the ruling party was killed in his office in Jalapa, also east of Guatemala City.

sorry to intrude like this, but I can't start a new topic. What should I do? Can somebody help me?

Congratulations, Guatemala City.

Link 1: IOC: IOC Wraps Up Successful Session In Guatemala City

Link 2: IOC: IOC Final Press Release About The Guatemala City IOC Session

Thank you and onto Copenhagen, Denmark, for the 121st IOC Session and the 13th Olympic Congress. Of course, the choosing of the 2016 Olympic Games host city, too. :)