What Do You Think Of The 2010 Logo Today?

It was on Saturday, April 23, 2005 at 7:30 pm PST at General Motors Place that the new Vancouver 2010 logo was unveiled to the world, in front of a live audience of 8,000 people. The logo was met with shock and disappointment, immediately receiving an approval rating of 50% throughout Canada, and with about 30% not liking it and a further 20% undecided.

Since, all I can say is Vancouver, BC, Canada, and much of the international community has grown into liking the 2010 inukshuk logo, Ilanaaq (which i must say, was wrong of VANOC to give the logo a name - it's not a mascot). Its creation was inspired by the inukshuk landmark located at English Bay in Downtown Vancouver, given to Vancouver by the Northwest Territories as a gift for hosting another event, the 1986 Expo World's Fair. Inukshuks are a symbol of friendship and peace, a wayfinding structure that points the direction for travelers....perfect for the Olympics.

I have to say at first, I hated the logo....it took me a year to like it, and by the time Vancouver held its handover at Torino i liked it.

This topic has been inspired by the unveiling of the London 2012 logo. :P

vancouver2010_wall_1_s.jpg

vancouver2010_wall_26_s.jpg

vancouver2010_wall_18_s.jpg

vancouver2010_wall_12_s.jpg

2010Emblem_launch3.jpg

2010Emblem_launch2.jpg

10614815_d968e5fc49.jpg

2010.jpg

10617494_8297d0a3a9.jpg

Where's the poll buttons?

Personally, i still think Vancouver's is insipid and uninspired, but it's not actively ugly and grotesque like London's. It's now only the second worst logo of all time, but there's a lot of daylight between it and the last placer.

Where's the poll buttons?

Personally, i still think Vancouver's is insipid and uninspired, but it's not actively ugly and grotesque like London's. It's now only the second worst logo of all time, but there's a lot of daylight between it and the last placer.

haha, not a premium member.

Silly question to ask in light of... that other logo. Everyone will say it's good but only on parallels. Personally, I've always been a fan of the logo and even though it's multicoloured lopsidedness puts people off it's much better than say a stylised mountain, snowflake or even maple leaf.

I was fast to dislike the leaked rendering on the 22nd but I like how it all fits together and that the stones aren't symmetrical (as in nature would be.) The one thing that I couldn't get over at first was the mouth but in my head after time ilanaaq only took the form of an inanimate inukshuk/sign pointing the way instead of a person (like what a lot of critics predicted would happen and become more or less a premature/paralled mascot.) In fact sometimes I forget it even has a mouth at all.

I esepcially like the colouring, which is original and also uses warm colours, and it reminds me of different specks of trees/water/sky/signs/flags in an average scene of Vancouver.

I was initially against the "logo", but it's somewhat grown on me.

It's still curious to me that we're using this Christlike rock dude mascot named Ilanaaq to represent Vancouver/Canada, but whatever. As far as I'm aware, the Inukshuk still has a very low profile throughout Canada and virtually zero recognition internationally, but I guess that's what the Olympics are for?

That's what I thought at first, but then again, the only cultural things Canada is known for internationally are either too overused (maple leaf, hockey) or are not even Canadian to begin with but are rather American or Russian or something. I appreciate VANOC trying to open a completely new angle on Canadian culture even if it isn't very common.

I must say it's slowly growing in me.. even it doesn't convince me at all, it certainly gains points in the look of the games contest which is quite good imo.. for sure gained even more appeal since this 4 june.

Didn't like it then. Still don't like it now.

What I do LOVE is the look, and I really love the paralympic logo: "Man becomes mountain" I think its an awesome theme and would have been an awesome olympic logo on its own. Too bad they chose Ilanaaq instead. It just isn't aesthetically pleasing, any way you look at it.

I didn't like it when it was revealed in 2005. But with time I've grown to like it. I like how the logo was assembled during the Closing Ceremonies in Torino, the rest of the Vancouver presentation at the ceremonies I didn't like much..lol I like the fact that it holds some type of Canadian cultural significance with the Ilanaaq. Vancouver's logo is not grotesque at all, like London's Logo. I highly doubt I'll grow to like London's logo.

I was not a huge fan at the beginning but it has grown on me.

I really appreciate the fact that VANOC has tried something different from the Mapple Leaf and other Canadian cliches (which are already well known around the world).

I know a lot of people here consider that inukshuks only represent a small part of Canadians but I like what it symbolises and I have learned something about a part of Canadian cultures.

Didn’t like it at first, but I have come to accept and respect it. The concept behind it is nice – building something together as a nation; from natural elements, without damaging nature; a mark to look forward to, and a guide for those to come. The concept is friendly, warm and inviting. The execution was my beef. It was kind of strange looking and out of place for Vancouver, plus when you see it from behind on a flag or banner, it looks like it is tilting.

I’m OK with the Paralympic logo – would have just made two changes. Would have called it “Man Overcomes Mountain” to represent the Paralympian overcoming his or her challenge and probably would have made the moon or sun head thing a little more expressive than just a dot.

The rest of the branding is excellent, although I didn’t like the recent posters – found the facial expressions and the lighting to be dull. But the banners they had up around the city, the brochures, business cards, wallpapers and the clock all got me jazzed about 2010. I think Karacters has done a top notch job. They managed to make the logo application work better than I thought it would – I feared a bunch of rocks being used but the flowing and sweeping lines remind me of the local landscape – forests, mountains, sea, sky, humans and animals.

And now more than ever, I'm just happy it isn’t Lisa Simpson doing AJ Slater.

Vancouvers logo is far better than Londons! I actually dont mind vancouvers logo... especially when comparing it to Londons piece of rubbish

Never mind that, using animation and flash photography, the London logo gives some people epileptic seizures! :o Man, the Pokemon people of the 1990s must have been vindicated by now. :P

The execution was my beef.

I agree. I think the logo unveiling should've been accompanied by some sort of video to explain it, not just Imagine 2010 and the dedicated website.

The rest of the branding is excellent, although I didn’t like the recent posters – found the facial expressions and the lighting to be dull. But the banners they had up around the city, the brochures, business cards, wallpapers and the clock all got me jazzed about 2010. I think Karacters has done a top notch job. They managed to make the logo application work better than I thought it would – I feared a bunch of rocks being used but the flowing and sweeping lines remind me of the local landscape – forests, mountains, sea, sky, humans and animals.

Definetely agree. The branding is really nice, and I'm not very fond of the three aboriginal athlete posters either.....especially being displayed on the homepage of the 2010 website for so long....what's up with that?

I agree. I think the logo unveiling should've been accompanied by some sort of video to explain it, not just Imagine 2010 and the dedicated website.

Definetely agree. The branding is really nice, and I'm not very fond of the three aboriginal athlete posters either.....especially being displayed on the homepage of the 2010 website for so long....what's up with that?

Obviously it's because of the now much quieted down radical First Nations groups (the first wave of protestors) wanting to 'declare war' on VANOC. Not to mention some FN people were still in disagreeance about Ilanaaq not being traced to local Vancouver FN design to begin with. It's only a public relations strategy. I actually think the mini campaign is cool but it has been in the spotlight for a very long time now.

In my opinion, mission accomplished.

I bet every dollar I have that VANOC's next campaign will involve the city's people, local charitable programs and funding, etc. etc. to deal with the current and more formidible low income housing protestors.