What Happened To All The Abuja Nut-heads ?

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Lamentation in Cape Town

By Abiodun Raufu

THIS is my second trip to South Africa in five years. But each time I have been here, I have always felt bad. I just cannot stop comparing my dear country, Nigeria with Nelson Mandela's country. We deceive ourselves, describing Nigeria as the giant of Africa when it cannot in any way measure up to South Africa in terms of development, infrastructure, skilled manpower, citizens' well being and economic prosperity. If the truth must be told, South Africa in terms of development is only part of Africa in terms of geography. But for all practical purposes, this is a first (not third) world country that is even doing better than many European countries.

I have always thought that Abuja is one of the most beautiful cities in Africa . But now I doubt if it can rate among the top five in the continent. I have seen Johannesburg twice and now I am in Cape Town for the first time (to attend the 14th World Editors Forum conference) and there is no way that anyone will say that Abuja is at par with these two South African cities. I was even told that Pretoria , another South African city and the country's seat of government, is even better that Cape Town . So that makes three first class cities in this former apartheid enclave. When you add Rabat in Morocco and Tunis in Tunisia , Abuja may struggle to be among Africa 's top ten cities.

The point I am trying to make is that we are so far behind even in Africa that only God knows when we will start real and orderly development in Nigeria . Right now, Nigeria seems more like one big jungle with everyone for himself and God for us all.

Except in Abuja , there is hardly anywhere else in Nigeria where you can encounter a few good roads. But after two days in Cape Town, I am yet to see a single bad road and to imagine that this is in another part of Africa .

Interestingly, I wasn't the only one who lamented. Virtually all the media executives (about 20 in all) on this trip had cause to wonder about the conundrum in which our country has found itself after 47 years of wasted opportunities and bad leadership. It got so bad that one of us said the only excuse that can be proffered for the speed of development in South Africa in comparison to Nigeria 's stunted growth is that white people were responsible for the former's advanced state of development before the majority black people took over the reins of power after the collapse of apartheid.

That is quite true but it only raises a new question about the ability, or lack of it, of the black man. Ordinarily, Nigeria with the largest black population in the world should be a showcase of the black man's glory and power. But I am not sure that the average black man around the world believes that there is much, if anything, to gloat about with regard to Nigeria in the comity of nations.

Indeed one of the things that often bother me when I have to travel out of Nigeria is the hassles that one has to go through at the foreign embassies either in Lagos or Abuja to procure visa. At almost every embassy even of lesser countries like Mali, Sri lanka and Vietnam, the first thing that confronts you is the army of Nigerian youths encamped at the front gate waiting endlessly come rain and sunshine to travel out of Nigeria at all the cost. The way they are harshly treated and cheated at the embassies doesn’t seem to bother them. Nigeria has got so bad that they believe anywhere else should be better than their homeland. The loss of faith in the Nigerian system by Nigerians is so total that to fix the country we must fix the minds of the people first. It is for the same reason that corruption, wayo and other criminal tendencies bequeathed to us by our past and present crop of leaders may be difficult to stamp out in the immediate future.

It may even be worse among young Nigerians who see corruption as the only way of life and that no one can succeed in our country without cutting corners.

My dear readers, I am sorry for boring you with my lamentation. But that is what coming to South Africa has done to me.

Are they admiting defeat or are they too chicken to reply :l

They're all still over of the skyscraper city board congratulating themselves on what an unrecognised modern paradise Nigeria is.

Oh of course, what a horrendous error we've all made in not recognising Nigeria as the new Garden of Eden. Heaven help us!

Oh, it's all a conspiracy by the westedrn media to deny the new renaissance city and capital!

LOL _ you shopuld see some of their threads _ Will Nigeria be the new Superpower? Will Abuja be the Capital of a United Africa? Nigeria as favourites to win the 2010 World Cup, etc etc.

Oh, it's all a conspiracy by the westedrn media to deny the new renaissance city and capital!

LOL _ you shopuld see some of their threads _ Will Nigeria be the new Superpower? Will Abuja be the Capital of a United Africa? Nigeria as favourites to win the 2010 World Cup, etc etc.

So what if those are thread titles? Is it wrong for persons who love their country to hope for the best? Look at skyscraper city and you will also see that there are Nigerians who do not share the view that the country is progressing well. That is the beauty of opinion. And yes there are Western conspiracies sometimes no matter how much you try to trivialize the issue. I have seen some really laughable posts here since I last posted and it is quite amazing how pathetic they actually are. I will not comment further than that.

Personally I have just moved house and thanks to the great BT will only have my internet facilities installed towards the end of the month which may explain the absence of at least one Abuja supporter. I am really touched that I was sorely missed by my Games Bids buddies (they wont admit it though) and wish you well now that you can debate reasonably in the absence of the crazy Abuja posters. Until the end of the month, that is.

Nigeria is a fucked up country where crime is rampant and there is a great exodus of Nigerians to any country possible. I fully realise this and I am not clouding my judgment on my country but what I do is, I try as much as I can to help the country change and maybe at least my children would never hear the first sentence in their lives again...

Listen to the pot calling the kettle black! You've got no room to talk, none whatsoever.

Hear hear the resident attention seeker is in the house. Unfortunately for you, I have not got much time for you. Not now and certainly not in the near future.. If you dont like my posts, find the nearest wall and knock your head against it. Period!!!

Ah, so that's the latest whine of those who don't like being questioned is it? Oh well, I'll carry on "attention seeking" as you so ridiculously put it, until you and the rest of the Abuja supporters engage in proper debate and stop behaving like some sort of holier than thou cult.

Ah, so that's the latest whine of those who don't like being questioned is it? Oh well, I'll carry on "attention seeking" as you so ridiculously put it, until you and the rest of the Abuja supporters engage in proper debate and stop behaving like some sort of holier than thou cult.

Holier than thou? I have consistently focused on the strengths of the Abuja bid and admitted to its weaknesses on many occasions. I personally have refused to make any attacks on the Glasgow bid. Have you admitted on this board to any Glasgow weakness? You dismiss every Glasgow criticism as unreasonable. Any attempt by myself or other Abuja supporters to question what is written on thses boards is tagged unreasonable. Well I certainly know that for you the word 'reason' doesnt carry the same definition it would carry with most persons. And if you think making personal attacks amounts to 'questioning' all I can say to you is good luck!! Im off to have a drink. I suggest you try that sometime.

Proper DEBATE?

Abuja's bid Glasgows bid

Main stadium Abuja National Stadium Hampden Park

60,000 seat athletics dedicated IAAF 40 some thousand seats when converted over to meet

Class One stadium Meet IAAF standards with a scafolding system

that so far has never been used in athletic competition

Aquatics Package B outdoor facility complete Tollcross

with Diving Pool, 2500 seats an Addition Renovations have to be made to have the 5000 seat required

of 2500 temporary seats and a temporary practice and then Diving is to be hed in Edinburgh 41 miles away at a seperate

pool facility.

Track Cycling Velodrome built by Schurmann Velodromes Proposed facility

the people who dominate velodrome construction

for sports festivals

Athletes Training $ 125.000 US dollars per nation if Abuja $ 100.000 dollar per nation that is considered to be poor or with little means

grants hosts Cold hard Cash that will have Grant is to be made up of goods in Kind and athletics associations qualifying

no goods in kind. would not have control of what part was goods and service in kind and what

No means test was actual Cash. Canada,Australia,New Zealand,Brunei, Singapore,Northern

Ireland,Bermuda,Falkland Islands,England,Wales,Guernsey,Isle of Mann,Scotland,

Malta and Cyprus would probably get nothing for voting for a Glasgow 2014 as

opposed to 25,000 more then the poor countries that would probably get what

amounted to half the 100,000 us promise in being goods in kind

Really a slap in the face to possible supporters and an insult to countrys Glasgow

2014 considers to be POOR children of the commonwealth that have to beg for

gym floor mats or netball equipment for the overly generous Scots ROTFLMAO

there is no real debate here you go down the list and glasgow is not willing to put out and believed that they could smear their way to victory or that Abuja would not show up to play. Quess again the Abuja 2014 committee secretly made the rounds to EVERY COMMONWEALTH TERRITORY According to my friends in

Abuja including NUIE ,ST Helena and the falklands which Glasgow Did not LOL. The Nigerians did not not have the NUIE delegation fly to New Zealand like the Scot did . The Nigerians actually stepped foot on the soil of all the nations of the commonwealth. ROTLFLMAO.

Scotland believed their own press releases and also falsely believed the abuja committee was doing nothing and would rely totally on the on the Africa never hosting card. Abuja did the homework and air travel.

Glasgow 2014 is nothing but a paper tiger , a PR job and a series of errors in judgement that they could actually cruise to the hosting duties.

Jim jones

It's the same old points, though, which have already been answered over and over again. But, in case you missed ignored the seemingly hundreds of times they were previously answered, let me restate:

1. Hampden Park is one of the most famous stadiums around. It has hosted two UEFA finals in five years and the IAAF has approved it as an athletics venue.

2. Glasgow's aquatics centre will seat double the number of spectators that Abuja's does at the moment. FINA has approved the use of the Edinburgh facility for the diving competition in which only a handful of nations take part. And you seem to want Glasgow to spend money that it does not need to do so, which is an about-turn any politician would be proud the way you went for Halifax on financing.

3. Are you suggesting that whoever is in charge of constructing Glasgow's velodrome won't be up to the task? I don't recall a roof coming off a sporting venue in Britain very recently. Do you?

4. We have already seen the value of the financial pledges made by Abuja fundamentally questioned and nobody has answered those questions. Why would people who have first hand experience of working on sporting events in Nigeria come out and describe those pledges as "not being worth the paper they're written on" if they are genuine and have a chance of actually being delivered?

5. Smear campaign? No lobbying from Glasgow? Nonsense! The Glasgow bid has been lobbying for well over a year now. They have been far more up and at them than Abuja. And the only smearing in all this has been coming from the Abujans. It is they who have claimed they've already got it won. It is they who have dismissed Glasgow. The Glasgow bid has maintained a diplomatic silence throughout. They understand the rules of engagement. It's a pity the Abuja bid, and you yourself, don't.

Proper DEBATE?

Abuja's bid Glasgows bid

Main stadium Abuja National Stadium Hampden Park

60,000 seat athletics dedicated IAAF 40 some thousand seats when converted over to meet

Class One stadium Meet IAAF standards with a scafolding system

that so far has never been used in athletic ........................................................

delegation fly to New Zealand like the Scot did . The Nigerians actually stepped foot on the soil of all the nations of the commonwealth. ROTLFLMAO.

Scotland believed their own press releases and also falsely believed the abuja committee was doing nothing and would rely totally on the on the Africa never hosting card. Abuja did the homework and air travel.

Glasgow 2014 is nothing but a paper tiger , a PR job and a series of errors in judgement that they could actually cruise to the hosting duties.

Jim jones

You are only using the points that are in Nigeria's favour , you said the Abuja Delegation went to every country in the Commonwealth , well then , why aren't making this news public ? In Melbourne , the Abuja Delegation was 3 hours late for their pre-presentation , so are they going to keep spectators waiting in 2014 ?

You act as if Hampden Park has no experience in host events but in reality , they have hosted many . Abuja's stadium isn't dedicated to athletics , its MULTI PURPOSE stadium . So please get your facts right . Abuja's bid is mainly re-using facilities from the All-Africa Games . By 2014 , these facilites will be between 11-13 years old . History has shown that this has not worked , the failiures of the Paris 2012 bid , Istanbul 2004/2008/2012 & Moscow 2012. Has Abuja's facilites host anything on a scale of the All Africa ?

In your opinion , you think Glasgow is not ready , you think Glasgow is far behind Abuja , you think Abuja has sercured votes from Afica & Asia & Beyond , I think the Paris delegation has the same thought but we all know what happened didn't we . You think Glasgow is overconfident , well the Glasgow Delegation did not criticise on their rivals unless a certain Abuja Delegation member , now who is the one over confident .

You keep repeating the same points over and over again , "Abuja's stadium is certified by the IAAF , blah blah" , "Glasgow's diving venue is in Edinbough .. " , in case you didn't know , KL '98 shooting venue was in Langkawi which is near the Thai border , some 500km away from KL , Manchester's shooting venue was at the National shooting centre which was 200km from Manchester . The Beijing Equ. events will be held in Hong Kong , which is a 3 hr plane ride away . Hampden Park is certified by the UEFA as a 4 star rated Football stadia

BTW , Its a real SHAME that 30-40 year old man can't spell simple words like Guess & Countries

It's always the same old record. If they actually engaged with some of the other issues which are raised which aren't positive for them, then people might take them more seriously.

It's the same old points, though, which have already been answered over and over again. But, in case you missed ignored the seemingly hundreds of times they were previously answered, let me restate:

1. Hampden Park is one of the most famous stadiums around. It has hosted two UEFA finals in five years and the IAAF has approved it as an athletics venue.

2. Glasgow's aquatics centre will seat double the number of spectators that Abuja's does at the moment. FINA has approved the use of the Edinburgh facility for the diving competition in which only a handful of nations take part. And you seem to want Glasgow to spend money that it does not need to do so, which is an about-turn any politician would be proud the way you went for Halifax on financing.

3. Are you suggesting that whoever is in charge of constructing Glasgow's velodrome won't be up to the task? I don't recall a roof coming off a sporting venue in Britain very recently. Do you?

4. We have already seen the value of the financial pledges made by Abuja fundamentally questioned and nobody has answered those questions. Why would people who have first hand experience of working on sporting events in Nigeria come out and describe those pledges as "not being worth the paper they're written on" if they are genuine and have a chance of actually being delivered?

5. Smear campaign? No lobbying from Glasgow? Nonsense! The Glasgow bid has been lobbying for well over a year now. They have been far more up and at them than Abuja. And the only smearing in all this has been coming from the Abujans. It is they who have claimed they've already got it won. It is they who have dismissed Glasgow. The Glasgow bid has maintained a diplomatic silence throughout. They understand the rules of engagement. It's a pity the Abuja bid, and you yourself, don't.

1. Hampden is not even on the IAAFs latest list of Febuary 2007 that lists all class one and class two facilities. That is a fact . Six lanes does not make a IAAF facility period. Guess what facility is list a Class One or highest classification for IAAF. Abuja National Stadium .

2. what are the finances like in Glasgow when they have to tear down a former commonwealth games legacy in 1970 and 1986 main stadium to have money to fund the renovations needed to host the diving competition 41 miles away from the main aqautics centre. temporary seating in tollcross is the order of the day right out of Derek Casey own lips on the glasgow 2014 website.

3. the Abuja Velodrome roof , Re-engineered by the fine people from Germany who are the preferred Membrane roof engineering and installing company for every Fifa stadium with such a roof . a report citing that the german engineers ignored warnings by local metrologists on wind shear . That is not a Nigerian or local report on why the roof failed it . It is a worldwide membrane structure industry group report. The problem was fixed the year after and the german oversite is in the report. The velodrome is schuermann design. the premier velodrome design and construction people in the world based in Germany.

4. An agent of smear living in Scotland who lived off Abuja for a while getting his start there . He talks about an unnamed athlete complaining about the food services at the All African Games well considering that the catering company for the entire event was British it just goes to show what type of quality may be in store for glasgow 2014.

Financing is more a question mark for Glasgow then Abuja as the Rugby Sevens venue is a venture for a soccer dedicated venue in Central Abuja being 100 percent financed by Nigerian Banks as part of the 20 soccer stadiums their premier league is being financed for.

The Maitama Cluster is privately financed by Nigerians in Diaspora (I have the pictures of the Vancouver finance company on the site sign who handling those transactions from North America)

The Athletes Village is 100 percent private development which is to be a housing subdivision after the games. Glasgow, Scotland which will risk taxpayers money like london 2012 to dig up a site with a century plus of industrial activity for an athletes village. Sure fire way to have cost overruns. Abuja does not have Brownfield construction unknowns as it is all greenfield they are building on. The only new venue that may have public financing is the weighlifting venue.

Two sizable halls are available for use for weighlifting and the arts centre across for the national mosque would be a place that I would have thought would be for weighlifting. Instead Abuja 2014 choose to had a dedicate facility for legacy purposes in a sport that nigeria does well in.

5. Gay rights, feral boys documentary counter attack , the so called compact athletes friendly games in Glasgow that includes no training money for the richer members of the commonwealth, The statement about the athletes could do great shopping in glasgow which really to me is such a none issue to use. The Nigerians are trying to buy the games DAH Louise that is what a BID is who puts up the most money not who patchworks a games on the cheap for yuor own redevelopment purposes LOL.

The majority of athletes will be very much more comfortable in Abuja for the simple fact that you dont have people that would stab their neighboors or discrimnate against fellow country men for something that happened a couple of centruies ago. Campbells not allowed in glencoe bars speaks to how glasgow would probably redefine "friendly games"

there is no semar like scottish smear because it is Smear of creative desperation LOL.

jim jones

You are only using the points that are in Nigeria's favour , you said the Abuja Delegation went to every country in the Commonwealth , well then , why aren't making this news public ? In Melbourne , the Abuja Delegation was 3 hours late for their pre-presentation , so are they going to keep spectators waiting in 2014 ?

You act as if Hampden Park has no experience in host events but in reality , they have hosted many . Abuja's stadium isn't dedicated to athletics , its MULTI PURPOSE stadium . So please get your facts right . Abuja's bid is mainly re-using facilities from the All-Africa Games . By 2014 , these facilites will be between 11-13 years old . History has shown that this has not worked , the failiures of the Paris 2012 bid , Istanbul 2004/2008/2012 & Moscow 2012. Has Abuja's facilites host anything on a scale of the All Africa ?

In your opinion , you think Glasgow is not ready , you think Glasgow is far behind Abuja , you think Abuja has sercured votes from Afica & Asia & Beyond , I think the Paris delegation has the same thought but we all know what happened didn't we . You think Glasgow is overconfident , well the Glasgow Delegation did not criticise on their rivals unless a certain Abuja Delegation member , now who is the one over confident .

You keep repeating the same points over and over again , "Abuja's stadium is certified by the IAAF , blah blah" , "Glasgow's diving venue is in Edinbough .. " , in case you didn't know , KL '98 shooting venue was in Langkawi which is near the Thai border , some 500km away from KL , Manchester's shooting venue was at the National shooting centre which was 200km from Manchester . The Beijing Equ. events will be held in Hong Kong , which is a 3 hr plane ride away . Hampden Park is certified by the UEFA as a 4 star rated Football stadia

BTW , Its a real SHAME that 30-40 year old man can't spell simple words like Guess & Countries

and hampdem by 2012 will still not have a full athletics field and the last renovation of a decade old soccer/rugby field with a 6 lane running track will be the late 1990's. a dedicated Athletics facility has a infield for throwning events . An infield for an athletic facility also qualifies for FIFA soccer as Abuja national stadium is also rated and hosted Fifa events in the past. A dedicated athletic STADIUM has every single patron able to see all athletes head to toe in all running lanes and field events. There are very few of those in the world today.

Jim jones

Archived