Beijing Volunteers

Xu Wen-Ting

hey hello friends!!! well i´m from Mexico and i want to know who in this forum will go to beiging in 2008, the volunteer program is not launched yet but i want to be there and i want to know who is going too...and we can meet there

r2ro from mexico

Maybe

LiuTian and I will go there.

About Pui from HK,haha he won't leave Beijing till 2007.

Don't know 2008 if he could in Beijing,we really hope he could be there.

And MCRHON form Philippines,also have plan to be the volunteer of Beijing 2008.

ANYONE ELSE?

Surely I will.

At that time I should have already lived in Beijing for 4 years. I'll sure welcome all of you to come to my second home, the Olympic city of Beijing.

But... I must remain all of you, although for most parts Beijing is an exciting city, the Beijing in reality may still have many things disappointed you. So always keep it in mind: China is a DEVELOPING country, don't imagine it as an advanced city like Tokyo, Hong Kong, London or New York.

And... the modern Chinese society has many practices different from the main stream western value, so do keep the cultural awareness when we try to understand it. It will be a great time for cultural exchange and cultural communication.

Oh yes I'd like to find a research job in a local institute here in Beijing after 2007.

And to r2ro, you may find some books on Chinese history and culture to read. Beijing is a city with 3,000 years history (with written records). It has been the capital of many regional dynasties, and became the national capital of China since the 14th century (Yuan dynasty). The "modern" Beijing city was built by the Mongolians when they ruled China, later in history it became the capital of Ming Dynasty and the Manchuian ruled dynasty of Qing.

Beijing enjoys the sacred status in the mind of Chinese people. It just like one must learn about the history of Mexico City before visiting Mexico.

(By the way I LOVE the ancient Mexico culture very much! And I hope one day I visit it. But the most worrying point is that I can't eat spicy hot foods....) :sniffle:

Hey pui thank you, you must come to Mexico some day and don`t worry we have a lot of not spicy food here...well i will go to spain (granada) in february to study photography for two years, then i`ll be preparing myself to be in beijing in 2008

i have 19 years old now, and i want to learn chinese too...yes chinese history is veery long and interesting i know that but not everything...thanks

ah, this is my mail r2ro30@hotmail.com

r2ro (arturo)

• 4 months later...
Maybe

LiuTian and I will go there.

About Pui from HK,haha he won't leave Beijing till 2007.

Don't know 2008 if he could in Beijing,we really hope he could be there.

And MCRHON form Philippines,also have plan to be the volunteer of Beijing 2008.

ANYONE ELSE?

Yes XU WEN TING, I will definitely volunteer for the 2008 Games in Beijing. I am doing absolutely okay here in the Philippines.

A lot of volunteers from the world.....this is definitely the Olympic spirit......cooperation and unity amidst diversity!!!!

I am so excited to see you guys!!!!

yes ryan.......we all can be volunteers......we need a lot of money (so start saving :) ) and prayers. recruitment of volunteers is like applying for a job......with all the credential and the like

but the most important of all....is your sincerity to make the difference!!!

let's all become volunteers!

Guest ryan04

yes ryan.......we all can be volunteers......we need a lot of money (so start saving  ) and prayers. recruitment of volunteers is like applying for a job......with all the credential and the like

are you on drugs? :help:

• 3 weeks later...
yes ryan.......we all can be volunteers......we need a lot of money (so start saving  ) and prayers. recruitment of volunteers is like applying for a job......with all the credential and the like

are you on drugs? :help:

Well I can understand what he is saying..

We should all become volunteers for the Beijing Games if we wanted. Start saving early as volunteering can be expensive if you are not from the local area, since you have to pay for your own accomodation (which can be both expensive and difficult to find - probably less so in Beijing but who knows come Games-time?), flights, and other expenses too (whilst local transportation/ food is provided to volunteers by the organising committee, don't ever expect that you won't ever have to pay for any food etc yourself, and then there are like paying for time in an internet cafe to keep in touch with home etc, phone calls and so on).

It is like competing for a job, just because you'll be working for free doesn't mean you can just walk into a job and they will be grateful.... it is still competitive, and credentials such as languages and relevant experience can be crucial to gaining a place.. but everyone can have a fair chance, especially those with the right attitude, commitment and enthusiasm.

One thing you will find talking to people in countries where English is not the first language

(or in some cases where most of the country is bi-lingual), is that those who learn english will sometime use english words with their own grammar/speech patterns. In other words, whilst speaking english using english words, they would construct sentences as they would in their mother toungue.

• 1 month later...
The Athens experience was absolutely brilliant, I'd recommend it to anyone. I would recommend becoming an NOC assistant since this position has an INFINITY OLV R T4 accreditation.

I'd love to go to China. Might happen.

Well, Athens had a few problems with international Volunteers. Many of us recieved the call quite close to the games (4-5 weeks before) and some were not successful at all. My Volunteer expereince inAthens was ambivalent - but I had some gret moments there and I really love to think about that.

The Athens experience was unique and now I am happy to be a Volunteer in Torino.

I also think about to go to Beijing - But this will be very expensive  :help:  

But at the moment, I cant wait the Torino games to start.

What does T4 mean ?

(know about the rest; OLV = Village; Infinty = access to everywhere and R = Residental Zone)

• 2 weeks later...
What does T4 mean ?

(know about the rest; OLV = Village; Infinty = access to everywhere and R = Residental Zone)

T4 is Free access to the Athletes/Officials transport network of busses so you can go from any venue to any venue. Just flash your accreditation and hop on. T1/T2 is private car and driver, T3 is pool car and driver.

One not so good thing about the NOC Asst accreditation was that we didn't have Knife&Fork so we couldn't eat freely in the Main Dining Hall. We were allowed one meal voucher in Main Dining though which was a great experience. Some others were invited by thier teams quite regularly.

Archived