European Soccer Tourney Qualifying

This page on FIFA's website explains that the European Under 21 championships in June will serve as qualification for the Olympic tournament in Beijing. All of a sudden, this aint just an ordinary U-21 tournament. Israel, Belgium, Italy, Portugal, Czech Republic, England, Netherlands and Serbia have qualified for the U-21 championships. I know for Israel, the Olympics would be their first major tournament since Montreal 1976, so there is some big pressure for these young men to get the senior team to beijing.

This page on FIFA's website explains that the European Under 21 championships in June will serve as qualification for the Olympic tournament in Beijing. All of a sudden, this aint just an ordinary U-21 tournament. Israel, Belgium, Italy, Portugal, Czech Republic, England, Netherlands and Serbia have qualified for the U-21 championships. I know for Israel, the Olympics would be their first major tournament since Montreal 1976, so there is some big pressure for these young men to get the senior team to beijing.

It wouldn't be the senior team, it would be the U-21 team with 3 players over that age limit.

The U-21 European Football Championship has already served as the continental Olympic qualifying tournament back in 2004. That time, only the top 3 teams would qualify (Italy, Serbia-Montenegro and Portugal). This time, it's the top 4 (or semifinalists) that can get to Beijing, as UEFA got a 4th berth at the expense of Africa.

FIFA doesn't want an event overshadowing the WC.

I think they're being a little protective cuz the Olympics is a two week tournament with 16 teams and the world cup is a month long tournament with 32 teams. I think the sport would have more exposure if the senior teams were participating in the Olympic tournament, and it still wouldn't overshadow the world cup.

• 2 weeks later...

Already, the Netherlands and Serbia have qualified for the semifinals, and thus have booked their spots in the Olympic tournament.

The groupings and current standings:

GROUP A

Belgium - 4 points

Israel - 0 points

Netherlands - 6 points (BOOKED PLACE IN UEFA U-21 SEMIS AND OLYMPIC TOURNAMENT)

Portugal - 1 point

GROUP B

Czech Republic - 1 point

England GBR - 2 points

Italy - 1 point

Serbia - 6 points (BOOKED PLACE IN UEFA U-21 SEMIS AND OLYMPIC TOURNAMENT)

Group A upcoming matches:

Belgium vs. Netherlands

Israel vs. Portugal

Belgium has to score a draw at the very least with the Netherlands to make the semis and the Olympic tournament.

Israel, with 0 points, is mathematically eliminated from the tournament.

Portugal has to win its match against Israel and have a better goal differential than Belgium to make the semis and the Olympic tournament.

Group B upcoming matches:

Czech Republic vs. Italy

England GBR vs. Serbia

England GBR has to either win its match over Serbia, or draw and hope that Czech Republic vs. Italy ends in a draw. If either scenario happens, it will advance to the semis. Unless a deal can be worked out that England GBR can compete as Team GBR in Beijing, its Olympic aspirations will either way be screwed.

Whoever wins the Czech Republic vs. Italy match will make the semis and the Olympic tournament provided that England loses its match against Serbia.

Already, the Netherlands and Serbia have qualified for the semifinals, and thus have booked their spots in the Olympic tournament.

The groupings and current standings:

GROUP A

Belgium - 4 points

Israel - 0 points

Netherlands - 6 points (BOOKED PLACE IN UEFA U-21 SEMIS AND OLYMPIC TOURNAMENT)

Portugal - 1 point

GROUP B

Czech Republic - 1 point

England GBR - 2 points

Italy - 1 point

Serbia - 6 points (BOOKED PLACE IN UEFA U-21 SEMIS AND OLYMPIC TOURNAMENT)

Group A upcoming matches:

Belgium vs. Netherlands

Israel vs. Portugal

Belgium has to score a draw at the very least with the Netherlands to make the semis and the Olympic tournament.

Israel, with 0 points, is mathematically eliminated from the tournament.

Portugal has to win its match against Israel and have a better goal differential than Belgium to make the semis and the Olympic tournament.

Group B upcoming matches:

Czech Republic vs. Italy

England GBR vs. Serbia

England GBR has to either win its match over Serbia, or draw and hope that Czech Republic vs. Italy ends in a draw. If either scenario happens, it will advance to the semis. Unless a deal can be worked out that England GBR can compete as Team GBR in Beijing, its Olympic aspirations will either way be screwed.

Whoever wins the Czech Republic vs. Italy match will make the semis and the Olympic tournament provided that England loses its match against Serbia.

Finally, the Netherlands qualified for Beijing!!! I think this team can reach the quarterfinals. We took part in 1952 in Helsinki and after that never again.....

Can anybody tell me why the qualification-rules are so different for England in soccer. I think when England qualifies with fieldhockey they can compete as Great Britain and in hockey also Scotland and Wales compete at "high" level......

Edited by wamel042

British interests in soccer are represented by the English, Northern Irish, Scottish, and Welsh governing bodies. While deals have been worked out for field hockey and curling for a British team in their respecitve Olympic tournaments, none has been reached where soccer is concerned. This is despite the fact that men's Olympic soccer is an under-23 affair and women's Olympic soccer is elite, so there really shouldn't be any hardships on all concerned. In the beginning of the modern Olympics, there were British entries in the men's soccer tournaments, but things changed when the FIFA World Cup was introduced.

Actually, Great Britan will not take part in the Beijing tournament regardless of there result, so if England goes trough to the semi-finals, there will be a fifth-place play-off between the third place team of each group to determin who is heading to China. THis means that Israel still has a chance if they can beat Portugal and if England goes trough.

Well done Belgium! First time since 1928 that Belgium qualifies for the Olympic Football competition!

Now, three teams will fight for the last spot: Portugal, Italy and the Czech Republic.

England GBR defeated Serbia 2-0. They will join Serbia, the Netherlands, and Belgium in the UEFA U-21 semifinals, but will not be allowed to compete in Beijing. Italy defeated Czech Republic also, and even though they're out of the tournament, they will face Portugal for the final European spot in the Olympic tournament.

Uefa will probe U21 racist abuse

Uefa is set to investigate the racist abuse that marred England Under-21's win over Serbia.

Serbian fans taunted England's Nedum Onuoha during the first half and Justin Hoyte was later targeted in the tunnel by opposition players.

Uefa made an impromptu anti-racism statement after the abuse and will act once it receives the referee's report.

More sad news from less enlightened terraces

I am sad that England won't be able to make an apperance as GRB in Beijing, they won the right but didn't get the prize, its all well and good that Scotland can march into the WOG with their curling team under the Union Jack, but not the English football team, double-standard if their ever was one.

I am sad that England won't be able to make an apperance as GRB in Beijing, they won the right but didn't get the prize, its all well and good that Scotland can march into the WOG with their curling team under the Union Jack, but not the English football team, double-standard if their ever was one.

It is not so much a double standard as an impossible situation. Football is just too important a game and the old rivalries between Scotland and England too ingrained to enable an "English" team to represent Britain in Beijing.

There are rumours though that there are moves to sort it out by 2012, as otherwise Britain won't be represented at its national sport in its home Games, with the football final held at Wembley Stadium - now that really would be crazy!!

It is a double standard to a point. It is accepted in curling that Scotland, as the leading (only) major UK curling nation represents Great Britain at the Olympics. But, to me, for the SFA in particular to say they want no part of 2012, when they have a pretty decent bunch of young players up there and who knows what talent coming through, is cutting off their nose to spite their face.

Whatever the politics, we have earned the right to play in the Olympic football tournament and we should be able to do so. It's just small-minded egotism that prevents it in my mind. Hopefully, we can go on and win the European Championship (even though I expect us to lose tomorrow) and make the point even more forcefully that we should be in China next year.

What a ridiculous shoot-out. Holland beat England 13-12 on penalties after a 1-1 draw after extra time. Insane. Apparently the Dutch keeper was yards off his line for most of the English penalties, but ho hum. Since when did officials do their job? Then, I didn't expect us to win anyway.

And while some coaches are "invited to leave the field" for protesting against dubious decisions, others are allowed to enter the pitch, talk to the referee as if they're his boss, and return to the bench - without any warning. More strange when both situations involve the same referee. :rolleyes: I don't even know how this German excuse-for-a-referee was even allotted another game...

It's another case to add to the mediocre refereeing this tournament has had.

What a ridiculous shoot-out. Holland beat England 13-12 on penalties after a 1-1 draw after extra time. Insane. Apparently the Dutch keeper was yards off his line for most of the English penalties, but ho hum. Since when did officials do their job? Then, I didn't expect us to win anyway.

England got 12? Really, that about has many as England has gotten in their last 6 penalities :lol::P