Lillehammer Refutes Salzburg

Sir Rols

It seems the organisers of Lillhammer 1994 are a tad pissed off at the Salzburg team taking their name in vain:

PARIS, May 30, 2007 (AFP) - The Austrian alpine resort of Salzburg are on the wrong track in their bid to win the right to host the 2014 Winter Olympics by claiming they are the equivalent of the Lillehammer Games in 1992, the man who ran those Games told AFP.

Petter Ronningen said that he was astonished at Salzburg's claim to be the bid that could replace what is seen as the benchmark for Winter Olympic Games and added that to his mind the Russian Black Sea resort of Sochi was the most similar.

The Korean resort of Pyeongchang - narrowly beaten by Vancouver for the 2010 Games - is the other candidate, which will be decided upon in the unlikely surroundings of Guatemala City on July 4.

``When I hear Salzburg invoke the name of the Lillehammer Games and say they are the candidate who most reflects them then I have to scratch my head in amazement,'' Ronningen told AFP.

``We discussed our real identity (Norwegian) when we were preparing the bid. It was important for us.

``It is the wrong message from Salzburg. If they are going to do so then bring the Games back to Lillehammer.

``Of course I am glad they are invoking our name but to my mind any bid city should have their own identity,'' added Roningen, who acted as an advisor at both the Salt Lake City and Turin Winter Olympics as well as the Asian Games in Bangkok in 1998.

Salzburg have had a rocky campaign after starting out as favourites, with reports of internal fighting, financial troubles and several different chief executives.

The other two by contrast have had relatively smooth ones with Pyeonchang being credited for a much more subtle campaign than last time while Sochi have been as one IOC member put it 'right in our faces' as they battle to overcome the doubts over their bid being 'a virtual reality one' as there are as yet no facilities.

However, Roningen believes that Sochi should not be disheartened.

``There are many similarities with our bid,'' said Roningen.

``We are both countries with strong winter conditions. We are both nations that are basically born with skis on our feet.

``Sochi's lack of winter sports continues the line with Lillehammer - we had zero.

``All our venues were built for the Games and has left a real legacy, which is what Sochi is also claiming.

``Our Games inspired a new generation of winter sportsmen which has been so inspiring for athletics and young people.

``The legacy is very important for the IOC as it leaves something for the country and the cities.

``Sporting venues are primary for the Olympic family - If not it is a waste of money.''

I have read this article with great surprise.

Salzburg has to find a key differentiator with respect to the other two.

Playing the "Magical Winterland Festival" a la Lillehammer sounds smart.

It is also interesting to see how Ronningen is all praise for Sochi. I think Sochi could be this year PyeongChang 2010 and create quite a surprise.

Actually, Rønningen has been doing some work for Sochi, and I heard that Salzburg has sent a complaint to IOC after his comments, as the bidders are not supposed to talk each other down.

In which case, it's not a very subtile move from Ronningen...

Archived