Athletics- / Track & Field-season 2007

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I doubt that the British will finish in third place. They showed a solid performance after a bad start in the hammer throw and high jump. But the French, German and Polish are just too good for the British this year. But who will talk about the EC, when you are winning two hands full of medals at the Worlds? Exactly, no one! So, no reason to be disappointed.

The 65m by Sanders are world class, nevertheless. Obergföll is a good thrower, but she was lucky with the conditions today. It was very windy in Munich.

Tomorrow, the final day and NO LIVE BROADCAST here in Germany!!! :angry::blink::angry:

That's pretty shocking, I have to say. I would have thought at least somebody would be showing it over there.

We're quite a way behind the Poles anyway, and historically at least, the second day is always our weaker day, more so now we don't a banker like Colin Jackson to kick things off in the high hurdles, so third place is quite a high aspiration. But funny things happen in the European Cup sometimes and, having flirted with relegation in the last couple of years, it's nice to have had a decent day. By the way, I can't seem to find the men's table, but I can find the women's for some strange reason.

As for us winning handfuls of medals in Osaka, I'll believe it when I see it. The sport in this country has been in the doldrums for a few years now and it's going to take time to get back to the golden ages of the 80s and particularly the early 90s. Perhaps Osaka and Beijing will come too soon, but by the time we get to London, fingers crossed we'll be there or thereabouts.

I don´t want to start a new controversy about doping in athletics like last year, but when i read about "the golden ages of the 80s and 90s", i can´t resist. We all know about the system of the GDR, but trust me, doping was not only a problem in the communist east European-nations.

Come on, arwebb, i really appreciate your input about athletics, but please, please don´t be so blue eyed.

But it is a pity, that we are the only ones, that have an interest in this major Olympic discipline.

The point I was making was this. We are currently going through a lean period in terms of medal success in British athletics, especially when compared to the late 80s and early 90s (particularly the 1993 World Championships in Stuttgart, which remain our most successful). If you're claiming that the success we enjoyed then was down to drugs, then I'd be extremely interested to know which athletes in particular you're questioning.

But it is a pity, that we are the only ones, that have an interest in this major Olympic discipline.

No, no -- I'm also interested in athletics. I just didn't watch enough of this year's athletic events to give a statement so far. But meanwhile, I'm thrilled to hear that the German team has so many hopefuls this year. It's especially great to see that Christina Obergföll has such an impressive comeback after last year's disappointments. I guess that with her and Steffi Nerius, we have two strong medal hopefuls for the javelin throw again. And maybe, if Osleidys Menendez fails to deliver this time, it could even be gold... OK, I'm dreaming. ;) The most important thing, however, is that the Germans don't reach their climax not this year already, but next year in Beijing. So I hope that the European Cup and hopefully successful World Championships in Osaka will only be the appetizer for a even more pleasing result at the Olympics.

I cannot believe that Germany is hosting the European Cup and isn't even televising it. I was really annoyed yesterday when UK coverage was interrupted for the tennis.

I expect the UK men to finish in 4th spot. I guess the women will finish top and be promoted next year. Although I don't see it as a case for celebration. It is shamfeul that we find ourself relegated in the first place.

I guess they felt they had to show the conclusion of the tennis as they'd started showing it, but had left it for the most important sport yesterday - namely the racing at Ascot.

Only the last hour was broadcasted on TV. Sailing and a motorcar race is more important than athletics.

Well, at the end a disappointing finish for the German men´s team. Schlangen (3000m), Pohle (triple jump) and Frank (javelin) have costed the first place. Good performances by Schembera (800m; he is only 18), Harting (discus) and the 4x4. But at the end it was not enough. Both teams have 116 points and the same number of first places, but France has more second places. Congratulations to them. Relegation for Belgium and Ukraine. Spain and Italy are back in the Super League.

The women´s event has been won by the Russian team. No surprise there. France came in second place and Germany in third. Down to first devision next year are Greece and Spain. Great Britain and Italy will be back in the top league next year.

I felt sorry for Germany in the Mens Cup. To loose on 2nd place countbacks is very tough. So, Russia win the womens and France take the Mens Cup for a 2nd year.

I must admit I am a little over critical of UK athletes as I think our main problem is that we do well and then take our foot off the accelerator. There is a case of too much patting ourselves on the back for effort and not enough accountability for performance. The 3000m was a joke. I can't believe that the British guy could not summon the effort to keep 2nd place. After all, if we had got that 2nd place then maybe we might have stood a chance for 3rd place overall.

I felt sorry for Germany in the Mens Cup. To loose on 2nd place countbacks is very tough. So, Russia win the womens and France take the Mens Cup for a 2nd year.

I must admit I am a little over critical of UK athletes as I think our main problem is that we do well and then take our foot off the accelerator. There is a case of too much patting ourselves on the back for effort and not enough accountability for performance. The 3000m was a joke. I can't believe that the British guy could not summon the effort to keep 2nd place. After all, if we had got that 2nd place then maybe we might have stood a chance for 3rd place overall.

I haven't seen that specific race, but the condition you describe is absolutely right. It's been there for a long time. I think we are starting to tackle it now, but it's going to be a long process.

Craig Pickering and Christina Obergföll have won the title "Athletes of the weekend".

Does anyone know, where the EC takes place next year? Maybe in the UK?

The 29th European Cup will be in Annecy, France.

Judging by the devastating weather that has hit Sheffield today, I am wondering whether the Athletics Grand Prix will go ahead on July 15th. I don't know Sheffield that well but it sounds as though the Don Valley stadium is near to the main flooding.

I hadn't really thought about Don Valley. We know that Hillsborough has been hit very hard, but I hadn't heard anything about Don Valley, so I assume they're fine. We'll just have to keep an eye on whether the Sheffield Eagles are playing there at the moment or if they've been forced to move temporarily.

He looks that way. I just hope people don't get carried away with him. We've had the big sprint hopes, and flops, before. Let's learn the lessons for once.

Thanks Arwebb. Not sure if to go or not.

The German Teams for Munich:

MEN:

100m: Christian Blum (LAC Quelle Fürth/München)

200m: Tobias Unger (LAZ Salamander Kornwestheim/Ludw.)

400m: Bastian Swillims (TV Wattenscheid)

800m: Robin Schembera (TSV Bayer Leverkusen)

1500m: Franek Haschke (LG Nord Berlin)

3000m: Carsten Schlangen (LG Nord Berlin)

5000m: Arne Gabius (LAV asics Tübingen)

110m H: Thomas Blaschek (LAZ Leipzig)

400m H: Thomas Goller (LG asics Pirna)

3000m st.: Filmon Ghirmai (LAV asics Tübingen)

High.: Eike Onnen (LG Hannover)

Pole vault: Tim Lobinger (ASV Köln)

Long.: Nils Winter (TSV Bayer Leverkusen)

Triple.: Andreas Pohle (ASV Erfurt)

Short Put: Peter Sack (LAZ Leipzig)

Discus: Robert Harting (SCC Berlin)

Hammer: Markus Esser (TSV Bayer Leverkusen)

Javelin: Mark Frank (1.LAV Rostock)

4x100m: Alexander Kosenkow (Wattenscheid), Julian Reus (Erfurt), Christian Blum (Fürth/München), Tobias Unger (Kornwesth.), Till Helmke (TSV Friedberg-Fauerbach), N.N.

4x400m: yet to be announced

WOMEN:

100m: Verena Sailer (LAC Quelle Fürth/München)

200m: Cathleen Tschirch (LG Weserbergland)

400m: Claudia Hoffmann (SC Potsdam)

800m: Monika Gradzki (TV Wattenscheid)

1500m: Kerstin Werner (TV Wattenscheid)

3000m: Antje Möldner (SC Potsdam)

5000m: Sabrina Mockenhaupt (Kölner VfM)

100m H.: yet to be announced

400m H.: Tina Kron (SC Schlau.com Saar 05 Saarbrücken)

3000m st.: Verena Dreier (LG Sieg)

High.: Ariane Friedrich (LG Eintracht Frankfurt)

Pole Vault: Carolin Hingst (USC Mainz)

Long.: Bianca Kappler (LC asics Rehlingen)

Triple.: Katja Demut (TuS Jena)

Short Put: Petra Lammert (SC Neubrandenburg)

Discus: Franka Dietzsch (SC Neubrandenburg)

Hammer: Betty Heidler (LG Eintr. Frankfurt)

Javelin: Christina Obergföll (LG Offenburg)

4x100m: Sina Schielke, Sandra Möller (both Wattenscheid), Verena Sailer (Fürth), Cathleen Tschirch (Weserbergland), Katja Wakan (Wattenscheid), Mareike Peters (Leverkusen)

4x400m: yet to be announced

Sad to say, what has happened to the German athletics team since the fall of the Berlin Wall ?

From 1972 to the late 1980s, German women especially from the East dominated(Stecher, Koch, Goehr, Dretchler etc) dominated. Now only a few are world ranked in the top ten.

Steroids are more widely used today then then!

Sad to say, what has happened to the German athletics team since the fall of the Berlin Wall ?

From 1972 to the late 1980s, German women especially from the East dominated(Stecher, Koch, Goehr, Dretchler etc) dominated. Now only a few are world ranked in the top ten.

Steroids are more widely used today then then!

Are you serious? You cant be!!! Have you worked for the STASI?

Are you serious? You cant be!!! Have you worked for the STASI?

Give me a beak!!

Pretty obvious that you do not now anything about athletics!!, or even about German athletics or its history!!!!

West German athletes, were world ranked, the women were at least in the top 5 worldwide during1970-1988, along with the mens team. It was not all East Germay!!

After the fall of the Berlin wall, German athletics has had a major decline!!

This recent national team that you wasted web space naming, will very likely earn only a couple of medals at this years Worlds Champs .During the 70s ''80s they won many!!

Where have all the great athletes gone

I do not work for the STASI, but for the CIA and would love to get up your ASS!!!

I dont want the old times back. There have been doping problems in W-Germany, too. I have never denied that.

Sorry for replying in German. It will be an exception.

Heike, Sie wollen doch nicht allen Ernstes die alten Zeiten wieder? Ohne jeden Zweifel wurde damals auch in West-Deutschland gedopt und nicht nur in der DDR. Ich teile auch Ihre Vermutung, dass heute immer noch gedopt wird. Aber mir ist es lieber, ich gewinne keine oder nur sehr wenige Medaillen bei einer Großveranstaltung als viele Medaillen, wo ich aber weiß, dass es keine normalen Athleten mehr sind sondern Betrüger. Ich trauere den alten Zeiten nicht nach. So gerne höre ich die Nationalhymne eh nicht. ;)

A few words of caution from former Olympic champion Linford Christie about the hype surrounding British sprinting's latest new hope, Craig Pickering.

Christie issues Pickering warning

And the thing is, Linford's dead right. Pickering hasn't got anywhere close to running sub-10 seconds yet, so why are we talking about him as the great hope? Surely somewhat premature.

Archived