Amsterdam 1992

I was in Athens and it took me almost 2 hours (by tram) to get from Glyfada-Athens to the Olympic Stadium (on the night of the openingceremony). So even if the events are staged in 1 city, it doesn't always mean that the distances are easy to cover.

I must admit that by taxi I reached every (except the weightlifting-venue) within the hour! The new tram was an abolute disaster. I stayed in Glyfada (close to the sailing-venue and the Helliniko-complex).

So in a bid from Amsterdam, with some events in Rotterdam, The Hague and Utrecht, every venue (with some exceptions such as soccer) would/could be within reach.

A major problem with a Dutch bid, would be a solution for the transportation....Highways are very crowded (normally), especially in the West. If an Olympic Park would situated in Amsterdam-South-East it would be easy accessable from the main highway between Amsterdam and Utrecht.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

No, actually, you have a very NAIVE view of the world.  You think it's all roses and rainbows to host something like an Olympics.  There are awesome responsibilities that go with it as well.  And if t

I was in Athens and it took me almost 2 hours (by tram) to get from Glyfada-Athens to the Olympic Stadium (on the night of the openingceremony). So even if the events are staged in 1 city, it doesn't always mean that the distances are easy to cover.

I must admit that by taxi I reached every (except the weightlifting-venue) within the hour! The new tram was an abolute disaster. I stayed in Glyfada (close to the sailing-venue and the Helliniko-complex).

So in a bid from Amsterdam, with some events in Rotterdam, The Hague and Utrecht, every venue (with some exceptions such as soccer) would/could be within reach.

A major problem with a Dutch bid, would be a solution for the transportation....Highways are very crowded (normally), especially in the West. If an Olympic Park would situated in Amsterdam-South-East it would be easy accessable from the main highway between Amsterdam and Utrecht.

Don't forget public transportation. Sure, we like to criticize it (especially the Dutch Railways) as often as we can but compared to other many other countries it's absolutely brilliant. I've been traveling by train 3 to 5 times a week now for way over 5 years (between Leiden, The Hague and Utrecht mostly) and the only serious delay I suffered was caused by snow (which obviously won't be a problem during the summer).

Projects like the North-South Line in Amsterdam and RandstadRail between Rotterdam and The Hague will only improve public transport. Schiphol has its own station which enables people to reach downtown Amsterdam in 15 minutes and downtown The Hague in 30 minutes.

• 1 month later...

According to the Dutch NOC, they are still investing the possibility of hosting the Games in 2024. First they want to improve the infrastructure and the sport facilities.

The region of Amsterdam (with the Hague, Rotterdam and Utrecht) has enough financial capacity and more than enough hotel rooms. With a good transportation system it will be a strong bid. The region is as big as the region of the 1996 Atlanta games and the Sydney 2000 games, so a bid with those cities in it, will be a strong bid.

According to the Dutch NOC, they are still investing the possibility of hosting the Games in 2024. First they want to improve the infrastructure and the sport facilities.

The region of Amsterdam (with the Hague, Rotterdam and Utrecht) has enough financial capacity and more than enough hotel rooms. With a good transportation system it will be a strong bid. The region is as big as the region of the 1996 Atlanta games and the Sydney 2000 games, so a bid with those cities in it, will be a strong bid.

According to the Dutch NOC?????

Officially? Were can I read a statement about that......I haven't heard about any investigation of hosting Games in 2024?

Perhaps the president of the NOC (Erica Terpstra) mentioned something like this in an interview, anywere?

Perhaps it is interesting to discuss possible venues for a Dutch (Amsterdam-Randstand) bid for the Olympics in 2024?

Let me start with an easy one:

Soccer:

AmsterdamArena (Amsterdam) - 51.000

De Kuip (Rotterdam) - 51.000

Philips Stadion (Eindhoven) - 36.500

Gelredome (Arnhem) - 30.000

amsterdam_arena1.jpg

AmsterdamArena

rotterdam_de_kuip1.jpg

De Kuip

eindhoven_philips1.jpg

Philips Stadion

arnhem_gelredome1.jpg

Gelredome

• 7 years later...

I'm sorry for necroposting but I thought it was better to revive an existing thread rather than creating a new one.

I've found this 25 minutes TV documentary from the dutch program Andere Tijden which talks about the failed Amsterdam bid for the 1992 Olympics (you can see many things like the TV spots and the planned venues of the bid. There are also glimpses of the other bids which participated for the 1992 games like Paris).

http://tvblik.nl/andere-tijden/de-vlam-in-amsterdam

I believe they also mention the strong campaign against the bid led by Boerlage which was one of the main reasons the bid failed.

PS: It would be appreciated greatly if any dutch speaker could help us understand the documentary :P

Very interesting for Amsterdam to have the proposed Olympic complex with essentially almost all of the sports there like it was a mutiple-room and massive convention center and arena. Think even bigger than the Georgia World Congress Center and its Georgia Dome. Dutch sports would've been changed with a nice legacy for several sports, if conducted right.

BTW, that flower transmission gimmick from Amstedam to Seoul really didn't exactly work like that. Still doesn't. We know.