Amsterdam 1992

Cudda, shudda.  Amsterdam is in the same class as Prague and Budapest -- smallish European cities that misty-eyed folks think can host an Olympics; but are really too small.  I don't exactly see  60,000+ people a day swarming around Amsterdam and environs with much ease.  The era of these smallish host cities is over -- especially when you have the mega-cities like London, NYC, Paris, Chicago, Tokyo, Delhi, Rio, etc. bidding for the big plum.  Those smaller cities are just in for a lot of disappointment and heartache.

Maybe Amsterdam isn't a real big city, but over 5 milion people can reach Amsterdam with just traveling for not more than an hour. The 4 bigist Dutch cities are in that region. Whole Netherlands can reach Amsterdam in 2 hours when traveling by train. Then you have 16 milion people.

In 1992 Amsterdam had a good bidbook. But the biggist problem in the Netherlands is that too many people can decide about a plan. Every animal and every tree has his own organisation who protect them.

Maybe you heard about the Domino-sparrow? Well there was a world record domino in the Netherlands. More than 4 milion domino-stones where placed in a row to get the biggist domino run ever. But there was a sparrow in the expo-center. They have to shot him to prevend he would trow all the stones down. There a living more than 1 milion sparrows in the Netherlands, but there were a lot of organisations who protest against shooting the sparrow. There where even some questions in the Dutch parlement. The shooter received a fine, because he didn't appeal to the Dutch goverment if he was allowed to shoot that sparrow.

When we even cannot organize a domino-competiton without problems, we shouldn't try to get the Games! But I really like the idea and now that there would ve a lot of support for the games!

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

No, actually, you have a very NAIVE view of the world.  You think it's all roses and rainbows to host something like an Olympics.  There are awesome responsibilities that go with it as well.  And if t

Yes Amsterdam is and probably always will be one of the smaller capitals in Europe. None the less your forgetting that the Amsterdam area is one of the largest commerical districts in the world. It has the largest convention centre in Europe (Amsterdam RAI and MECC) as well as a large port.

Just south of Amsterdam is Rotterdam, home to the worlds largest posts and the Ahoy Rotterdam Centre (another large convention space). Not forgeting that over 300 major global companies base themselves in Rotterdam. Without the port of Rotterdam much of Europe's trade would seize.

And then there is Hague, home to the International Criminal Court, many universities and several other International Organisations. A very important city in Europe.

Compared to Liepzig, an upcoming city with no real importance. Yes it has a nice airport and is growing in status but it really doesnt compare to Amsterdam.

Of course I know that it is hardly not possible to host Olympic Games in the Netherlands anymore, due to the regulations, but the idea is very nice and perhaps a bid, would give the common awareness a boost......

But it would be great: a beach-volleybal stadium on de Dam in the heart of Amsterdam!

Cudda, shudda.  Amsterdam is in the same class as Prague and Budapest -- smallish European cities that misty-eyed folks think can host an Olympics; but are really too small.  I don't exactly see  60,000+ people a day swarming around Amsterdam and environs with much ease.  The era of these smallish host cities is over -- especially when you have the mega-cities like London, NYC, Paris, Chicago, Tokyo, Delhi, Rio, etc. bidding for the big plum.  Those smaller cities are just in for a lot of disappointment and heartache.

Maybe Amsterdam isn't a real big city, but over 5 milion people can reach Amsterdam with just traveling for not more than an hour. The 4 bigist Dutch cities are in that region. Whole Netherlands can reach Amsterdam in 2 hours when traveling by train. Then you have 16 milion people.

In 1992 Amsterdam had a good bidbook. But the biggist problem in the Netherlands is that too many people can decide about a plan. Every animal and every tree has his own organisation who protect them.

Maybe you heard about the Domino-sparrow? Well there was a world record domino in the Netherlands. More than 4 milion domino-stones where placed in a row to get the biggist domino run ever. But there was a sparrow in the expo-center. They have to shot him to prevend he would trow all the stones down. There a living more than 1 milion sparrows in the Netherlands, but there were a lot of organisations who protest against shooting the sparrow. There where even some questions in the Dutch parlement. The shooter received a fine, because he didn't appeal to the Dutch goverment if he was allowed to shoot that sparrow.

When we even cannot organize a domino-competiton without problems, we shouldn't try to get the Games! But I really like the idea and now that there would ve a lot of support for the games!

Ridiculous.  What have those got to do with staging an event FOR and ABOUT HUmans?  People seem to forget, on what they call the Black Tuesdays of Black Fridays of a SOGS, that is when some 25 of the current 28 events are holding full-days of competitions SIMULTANEOULSY at their respective venues spread throught the host city and burbs.  You have maybe more like 100,000 people, guests, workers, athletes, the press, etc., a day trying to reach the 2 dozen or so venues at appointed times because the competition is run by the clock.  Not to mention you have the trouble-makers who are probably casing the joints on where to cause the greatest number of deaths if they can.  And overlaying this are the thousands of other security workers trying to stay one step ahead or behind the unknown terrorists.  Not to mention hundreds of ambulances and hospitals that must now be on STANDBY for any possible terrorist attacks.  

Please don't be so naive as to pop in domino or sparrow events.  Terrorists have no desire to disturb domino or sparrow championships.   :rolleyes:

[And overlaying this are the thousands of other security workers trying to stay one step ahead or behind the unknown terrorists.  Not to mention hundreds of ambulances and hospitals that must now be on STANDBY for any possible terrorist attacks.  

Please don't be so naive as to pop in domino or sparrow events.  Terrorists have no desire to disturb domino or sparrow championships.  

What a limited world-vision you have! Greece was able to deliver safe Games (I've been there and never felt not save).

Why is a smaller country or city not capable of hosting safe Games? As if as the big countries (USA, Brasil) of cities are that save (NYC, Rio or Cape Town)!! Safety is already a major issue in those places and with hosting such an event everything will become even more complicated.

Of course a smaller country will have to put a lot effort in organising everything, but it doesn't mean that is not possible!

Don't forget Euro 2000! One of the greatest soccer-tournament and Holland/Belgium were capable of delivering a perfect job.....

What a limited world-vision you have! Greece was able to deliver safe Games (I've been there and never felt not save).

Why is a smaller country or city not capable of hosting safe Games? As if as the big countries (USA, Brasil) of cities are that save (NYC, Rio or Cape Town)!! Safety is already a major issue in those places and with hosting such an event everything will become even more complicated.

Of course a smaller country will have to put a lot effort in organising everything, but it doesn't mean that is not possible!

Don't forget Euro 2000! One of the greatest soccer-tournament and Holland/Belgium were capable of delivering a perfect job.....

No, actually, you have a very NAIVE view of the world.  You think it's all roses and rainbows to host something like an Olympics.  There are awesome responsibilities that go with it as well.  And if the IOC hadn't learned by Munich 1972, then woe to the world.  

Also, there are some security considerations which I would rather not discuss on an open forum.  

What is Euro 2000?  What 24 teams of maybe 30 people each -- and responsibilities were shared between 2 nations?  What is that compared to hosting 10,500 athletes from 200+ nations, 5,000 press from all over the world, maybe 10,000 VIPs from Olympic sponsors, throw in a few heads of state -- in a pressure-packed window of 17 days?  Obviously, you have never worked in an actual Olympics to realize the real dimensions of such an undertaking.  Come back to me when you have, and we can talk.

• Like 1

Okay, it is obvious you know it all and everybody else's opinion is beside the point or one can only have an opinion if you've "been" there.

I thought it was interesting to talk about an Olympic BID (first a BID) from Amsterdam, but it seems that only Paris, Madrid, Moscow, NYC, Tokyo, Cape Town and Rio can/may bid, so I i will rest my case.......

Okay, it is obvious you know it all and everybody else's opinion is beside the point or one can only have an opinion if you've "been" there.

I thought it was interesting to talk about an Olympic BID (first a BID) from Amsterdam, but it seems that only Paris, Madrid, Moscow, NYC, Tokyo, Cape Town and Rio can/may bid, so I i will rest my case.......

Pardon me if I came off sounding too strong -- which I have a tendency to do so -- however, while indeed we discuss possible prospective bids here, there is also a segment of posters here who tend to winnow it down to the most MOST realistic bids.  

Yeah, potentially, the best 50 cities in the world today could possibly host an Olympic Games, but (1) would they all want to?  (2) their qualities are not all equal; and (3) there is always human nature to try to zero in on the winner.  And that involves 'educated guessing,' therefore, winnowing it down to the likely winner; and thereby discarding the unlikely candidates along the way.  And if you think I belong to the latter camp, then I plead guilty.  Sorry.

Amsterdam hosting the Games isn't very realistic, but to think and discuss the past- and future bid is still very interesting!
Amsterdam hosting the Games isn't very realistic, but to think and discuss the past- and future bid is still very interesting!

I still think Amsterdam would be an outside chance in any bid race. Think what New York in 2012 but without the 2016 follow up. Maybe Moscow 2012.

We'll see......We have got time. Holland is definitely not going to bid for 2016. So this forum can go on for a couple of years, because Europe doesn't stand a chance for 2016, because of London 2012......

Still tempting: Olympic soccer-final 2024 in AmsterdamArena!

to all the amsterdam supporters..i think you have all the right to dream of a games in amsterdam regardless of whether it will happen or not...

What about us Rotterdam, The Hague and Leyden supporters?  :shocked:   Don't we have as much right to dream as well and bash the Amsterdam boosters?

What's the official position of the IOC about a joint bid?

Almost every city is hosting events in other places (Beijing - Hong Kong)....

What's the official position of the IOC about a joint bid?

Almost every city is hosting events in other places (Beijing - Hong Kong)....

"Officially", a joint bid is allowed. "Unofficially," however, it is another story. To be realistic, it is best that a potential bid have a big majority of the venues and events in the host city as best as it can.

The Leipzig bid planned to use a lot of venues in Dresden (correct me if I'm wrong) which is about 100 km away, twice the distant between Amsterdam and Rotterdam. It wasn't a very succesfull bid though...

Still, the idea is nice. The Olympic Stadium in Amsterdam, beachvolleybal in The Hague (Scheveningen) and sailing in Rotterdam  :idea:

"The Leipzig bid planned to use a lot of venues in Dresden (correct me if I'm wrong) which is about 100 km away, twice the distant between Amsterdam and Rotterdam. It wasn't a very succesfull bid though...

Still, the idea is nice. The Olympic Stadium in Amsterdam, beachvolleybal in The Hague (Scheveningen) and sailing in Rotterdam  "

The leipzig bid is more compact than many bids before, the inner city venues, the olympic park venues, the trade fair venues, all within leipzig....the leipzig bid wasnt succesful...but if it was one thing it was compact....

FYI

1. dresden was to be the host for equestrian 100km

2. rostock for sailing 350km

3. football venues across the country as per usual..

so no different to a paris bid or any other bid before it...

all venues within leipzig were within a 10km radius of the city centre...compact enough???this includes the olympic village...

so there ive corrected you..

four clusters

1. olympic park 2. old exhibition centre 3. trade fair 4. new lake district....