New Beijing Video On Nbc.com

They've finally updated their site and gotten rid of all the Torino stuff. They've now got a pretty good three-minute preview video of their Beijing coverage. A few highlights:

- All swimming finals live in primetime

- Major gymnastics finals (team & individual all-around finals, it appears) live in primetime

- Men's & women's marathons live in primetime

- Beach Volleyball live in primetime

Also, they've unveiled their broadcasting logo for the Games, which I think is pretty cool.

I've been looking at the events schedule quite a bit lately to try and get an idea of what the TV coverage might be like. It looks like NBC is going to have some opportunities to air some other sports live in primetime, such as BMX cycling (which they're already hyping up in the video), indoor volleyball (which is a late night staple that we'll probably see a lot of), men's & women's triathlons, and prelims in some other sports like basketball, boxing, baseball (which the Americans actually qualified in this time :D ) and softball. Then, there's stuff like track & field and diving that they'll undoubtedly delay and package for primetime. And the early to mid morning hours (late afternoon to evening Beijing time) should give the cable networks opportunites for some live TV coverage. It'll be interesting to see what hours NBC wants to keep for its daytime show, though. Late morning or early afternoon? There probably isn't any point in speculating at this point, but it's still fun to do.

Well I did save a lot of the Torino version of NBCOlympics.com to cd, so I'm covered.

The video's great, but that's the only thing those NBC bastards have done right of late. They interrupted Game 5 of the Ottawa-Buffalo Eastern Conference Finals in the NHL to cover the Preakness warmups. They chose horses walking in circles instead of playoff overtime hockey, those NBC idiots are just like everyone else, trying to shove the "hockey is for anti-American wussy losers" message down our throats. I'm so mad at them right now...

It's interesting how NBC is playing Beijing up to be more important than Athens was.

I still wish that it had been the CN Tower in that logo with Toronto written across it.

China is sending great posperity to the Eastern Time Zone of North America since its starting on August 8th, 2008 at 8pm which corrisponds to 8am in EST, which is 0800 compared to in Beijing where it is 2000.

I'll be looking forward to see NBC's broadcast schedule for the Beijing 2008 Olympics telecast. Right now we can only speculate that it will continue with MSNBC, CNBC, USA, Bravo, and Telemundo, but I think it will happen again. One thing I would like to NBC do this time around is allow stuff that either does not get time to be broadcast like say a 11th Place Classification men's water polo game or bumped in favor of like the Greek marathoner doc on primetime placed on online ala ESPN 360 on NBCOlympics.com. There's plenty of time for NBC to negotiate that aspect with the IOC becuase I'm pondering what role will the Internet have towards the Olympics. What if it hooked up with MySpace? (but that's a topic for another discussion)

I'll be looking forward to see NBC's broadcast schedule for the Beijing 2008 Olympics telecast. Right now we can only speculate that it will continue with MSNBC, CNBC, USA, Bravo, and Telemundo, but I think it will happen again. One thing I would like to NBC do this time around is allow stuff that either does not get time to be broadcast like say a 11th Place Classification men's water polo game or bumped in favor of like the Greek marathoner doc on primetime placed on online ala ESPN 360 on NBCOlympics.com. There's plenty of time for NBC to negotiate that aspect with the IOC becuase I'm pondering what role will the Internet have towards the Olympics. What if it hooked up with MySpace? (but that's a topic for another discussion)

Here is a link pertaining to the possibility of online coverage.

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/columnist/h...9-weekend_N.htm

I second that! :)

Was the Finnish TV network YLE the first TV network to offer Olympic coverage online? Had I known that then and possessed the capabilities for that with my own computer, I may have went there in conjunction with doing the low-end tech of videotaping of NBC. I'm a little suprised that ERT didn't do likewise since it was the host nation's broadcaster (or RAI for that matter in Torino). I know the BBC did with that and the Commonwealth Games.

Considering that CBS does this for March Madness and the presence of ESPN360 and that Media Action (Media Zone?) have significant FIBA tournaments games for an online fee, NBC would be stupid not to do likewise with the Olympics with its billions of dollars it invested in the US rights to them up to 2012, since its such a massive event. Here's hoping other TV networks worldwide that own the rights to them in their respective territories do likewise. Like to see how the likes of Supersport, SVT, ERT, ARD/ZDF, HRT, CBC/SRC, TVNZ, NRK/SportN(?), RTE, NOS, TVP, TRT, Cescka TV, STV, MTV, and Seven/SBS will conjure up their Olympic Internet TV plans.

On that note, it would be nice if somebody out there would upload all of the footage the IOC have from past Olympics (in addition to what we have already on YouTube) down the road as well as the hope for mega-DVD next-gen sets for each Olympics. How many hours did YLE carry?

I need to make a correction the YLE bit: The EBU made it possible for the various European broadcasters like YLE, BBC, ARD/ZDF, Canal Plus, ERT, NOS, SVT, NRK, and the Swiss networks (DRS, TSR, TSRI) to develop a broadbandcast for the Athens 2004 Olympics. And to think that we Americans have to get our interactive fix on those brief and puny NBCOlympics.com video footage after it was broadcast was a very unwise move. Protecting your broadcast value of the Olympics and ignore the Internet as another effective outlet while the BBC can do that is built on a false sense of security that was going to fail. We couldn't watch theirs to get another perspective on the coverage.

Thankfully I hope NBC Universal wised up on that with up to 1000+ hours of footage online. I understand the most attractive and traditional events will go on primetime, but it will give an outlet for hardcore Olympic fans like me and those expat from other nations to check out stuff of their own interest, even if Team USA isn't involved. Be interesting how this will be set up and of the programming details.

Another thing: NBC's coverage of Beijing 2008 will mark a milestone in that it will be the first Olympics for the US shot and braodcast entirely in HD. Yes, Japan has beaten us to it years ago in Olympic HD coverage with Barcelona but we're catching up. No more hours of coverage shown in thrice daily loops as a boutique outlet not meant to interfere with the main coverage. No more limited hours of footage like Salt Lake City and Turin.

Beijing 2008: 100% HD for NBC

• 3 weeks later...

Not surprised NBC hasn't made more of their Internet coverage details public yet (it's still very early in their plans), even though NBC Universal has publicly confirmed it will happen. Like to see that mentioned more at this point to the public.

Also, like others, I'm very curious as to how will NBC (and other western TV networks) will treat the 1989 Tianamen Square crackdown and other unflattering things to the Chinese under the watchful eye of the Chinese Communist Party. Will there be featurettes on them during their coverage?

A little more info has come out: NBC Previews the Broadband Olympics

A few highlights:

NBC's coverage of the 2008 Summer Olympic Games in Beijing will include more than 1,000 hours of live streaming video delivered via the Internet...

... NBC will shoot more than 2,400 hours of footage for its broadcast, cable and Internet platforms...

... The preview video for the 2008 Summer Olympics, which appeared to be designed as a pitch reel for advertisers, touted tennis coverage on MSNBC, boxing on CNBC and the triathlon on NBCOlympics.com ...