2016 Bid Process Launched By Ioc

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Now that Sochi, Russia, is the host city of the 2014 Olympic Winter Games, how do you guys feel about how the race for the 2016 Olympic Games will be shaped?

I don't even see Doha being short-listed. They may have the "money" & the facilities, but they would seem to lack in the accommodation dept. I don't even see cruise ships making up for this. Another area that would cost them many points for the short-list, is security concerns/political instability in the region. Not to mention how small of a country Qatar is.

Doha has an advanced accomodation network and is ever expanding - especially afetr the asian Games. Also Doha is reachable in about an hour/two hours by fast catamarans from Dubai, Abu Dhabi, Manama etc - thus you could easily live it up in Dubai and jump across to Qatar. With the big money being spent on tourism the hotel question will be a non issue.

Doha has an advanced accomodation network and is ever expanding - especially afetr the asian Games. Also Doha is reachable in about an hour/two hours by fast catamarans from Dubai, Abu Dhabi, Manama etc - thus you could easily live it up in Dubai and jump across to Qatar. With the big money being spent on tourism the hotel question will be a non issue.

Oh, Puppy, already lining up another liaison with Mecca Slut? :blink:

Now that 2014 election is over, the 2016 bid process may begin. I assume theah the next couple of months will be quite turbulent with old bids withdrawing and new surprising ones emerging

Now that 2014 election is over, the 2016 bid process may begin. I assume theah the next couple of months will be quite turbulent with old bids withdrawing and new surprising ones emerging

I would love to find out how many cities around the world want POTENTIALLY to bid for the 2016 Olympic Games. That means, even the ones that really do not have a chance, but these cities and the NOCs think they can pull a bid off for some reason or two. For 2012, I think there were as many as 30+ cities around the world that were interesting on putting a bid forward for it then.

So this early in the Game, with Rome bowing out and announcing together with St. Peterburg for 2020, t looks like the 2016 race is all but conceded to be a Chicago-Tokyo header.

Wonder how Madrid will play this one, since of course they would appear extremely and strategically foolish.

Rio is even a more remote third, what with how the PanAms perform, and Brazil's preps for the 2014 World Cup.

I don't see Sochi winning being very good for either Baku or Istanbul. Perhaps we will see a withdrawal from those cities?

Well, I am just back from a business trip to Baku. I think they shouldn't bid for 2016: the bid would be a waste of time as Baku is currently missing a good infrastructure to host the Games. This being said, Baku is growing incredibly fast so maybe in 10 to 20 years it could be a credible host.

If the 2012 / 2014 trend continues, I think 2016 is pretty much a race between Tokyo and Chicago.

Is it just me or do we really have to expect a smaller number of applicant cities this time? I mean, there are only two months left to prepare a bid and announce it to the IOC -- and still, there are only three confirmed bids so far. OK, Baku, Doha or Dubai and Rio might also officially join the race. But the time is running short for a "surprise bid". Or is it really sufficient to launch a bid on, let's say, September 12 and still be able to develop a neat concept until January, when the mini bid books have to be submitted?

Until now, the race for 2016 appears just as dull to me as the race for 2014. I hope that this won't be a new trend for Olympic host city elections.

I suppose a lot depends on the beliefs of those cities who may or may not throw their hats into the ring. Do they really think they can win it or are they just nudging the IOC to let them know they're around?

Well, the IOC has now officially stated the six cities have come to the IOC stating their interest.

Chicago

Tokyo

Doha

Madrid

Baku

Rio De Janeiro

I'm surprised Prague isn't on that list, and that Baku is so persistent. <_< Don't know what other surprise bids there could be?

Link:

http://www.olympics.com.au/news.cfm?ArticleID=9471

Well, the IOC has now officially stated the six cities have come to the IOC stating their interest.

Chicago

Tokyo

Doha

Madrid

Baku

Rio De Janeiro

4 of those will make the short-list.

The bigger question is: where's Istanbul?

Prague and the other Euro cities are wise and shrewd enough to know that 2016 isn't their time. Really makes Madrid look so foolish. If there was any bull-headed city that would've gained a few brownie points, it would've been IstanBULL!!

Damn, where's Prague? I hoped they could have joined this race at least to make the useful precedent to claim next time rotation will most likely turn to Europe.

Apparently,they are having trouble with their squirrels! :lol:

If Rio confirms its bid,then it must be one of the three heavyweights for 2016 along with Chicago and Tokyo.

Apparently,they are having trouble with their squirrels! :lol:

If Rio confirms its bid,then it must be one of the three heavyweights for 2016 along with Chicago and Tokyo.

Hmmm the challenge for Rio will be to among the candidate cities (which they did not manage to do for 2012). And I guess it will depend a lot on how successful the PanAm Games are. The major concern for 2012 was the lack of adequate transport infrastructure.

4 of those will make the short-list.

The bigger question is: where's Istanbul?

Prague and the other Euro cities are wise and shrewd enough to know that 2016 isn't their time. Really makes Madrid look so foolish. If there was any bull-headed city that would've gained a few brownie points, it would've been IstanBULL!!

Ahmet and others could answer that question. Besides, I think Turkey is trying to concentrate on trying to win that bid for the 2015 World's Fair, in behalf of Izmir, at this time. Meanwhile, on the winter sports front, I bet Erzurum officials are traveling around the world on how to make its 2009 Winter Universiade a success.

Push is on by some city councillors in Toronto, including one of Mayor Miller's posse to bid for the games, or so I've heard. Lets not forget, this is a election year in Ontario and with the 416/905 holding so many seats, neither provincial party will not want to be anti-Olympics. Another rumour about the Move Ontario 2020 plan is that its Olympic tied (amazing this hasnt hit the media yet). And the rumours are still persistent that the reason why the Expo bid died is because both governments would rather put there money behind a 2016/2020 Olympic bid. I believe news will likely start leaking out after the Under 20 World Cup regarding whether or not Toronto is thinking about it....

Push is on by some city councillors in Toronto, including one of Mayor Miller's posse to bid for the games, or so I've heard. Lets not forget, this is a election year in Ontario and with the 416/905 holding so many seats, neither provincial party will not want to be anti-Olympics. Another rumour about the Move Ontario 2020 plan is that its Olympic tied (amazing this hasnt hit the media yet). And the rumours are still persistent that the reason why the Expo bid died is because both governments would rather put there money behind a 2016/2020 Olympic bid. I believe news will likely start leaking out after the Under 20 World Cup regarding whether or not Toronto is thinking about it....

Are you serious? What are you sources?

That is very interesting to know. How sure are you that an announcement will be made once the FIFA competition is done?

Archived