2016 Bid Process Launched By Ioc

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Clearly as of today Chicago are the front-runners, but we have yet to see if and how Tokyo and Rome will develop. If there's a continental rotation, America will get 2016. Although Azerbaijan is a long-shot, this country is experiencing rapid economic growth and could be a serious contender in the future.

Clearly as of today Chicago are the front-runners, but we have yet to see if and how Tokyo and Rome will develop. If there's a continental rotation, America will get 2016. Although Azerbaijan is a long-shot, this country is experiencing rapid economic growth and could be a serious contender in the future.

Chicago are the front-runners?

Don't you mean "Chicago is the front-runner"?

There's no chance of Azerbaijan of even making the shortlist. I've never heard of this country until reading about them on these boards.

There's no chance of Azerbaijan of even making the shortlist. I've never heard of this country until reading about them on these boards.

You've never heard of Azerbaijan??

WOW.

It's a former Soviet Republic, right next to a now independent Armenia. And they say Americans don't know their geography.

You've never heard of Azerbaijan??

WOW.

It's a former Soviet Republic, right next to a now independent Armenia. And they say Americans don't know their geography.

Is it really that surprising?? It's a little dot of a country that barely not many North Americans know about.

I hope we get some surprise bidders that will come in under the radar.

Yeah, I wouldn't be surprised to see a left-of-field bid come out of the woodwork (how's that for mixed metaphors!). Asia, I think, could throw up a surprise.

Yeah, I wouldn't be surprised to see a left-of-field bid come out of the woodwork (how's that for mixed metaphors!). Asia, I think, could throw up a surprise.

Hopefully a city that could actually contend for the win. Not another Cuban bid :rolleyes:

It will be interesting on how many APPLICANT cities put their bids forward. Remind me, if I'm wrong, but wasn't there as much as TWENTY cities around the world that was interested or actually applied for the 2012 Games, which London won?

It will be interesting on how many APPLICANT cities put their bids forward. Remind me, if I'm wrong, but wasn't there as much as TWENTY cities around the world that was interested or actually applied for the 2012 Games, which London won?

As far as cities that showed their INTEREST on bidding (but didn't apply), I believe there were +30 cities (not counting the nine official applicants but counting failed internal competition cities in the U.S., Germany and Spain)

As far as cities that showed their INTEREST on bidding (but didn't apply), I believe there were +30 cities (not counting the nine official applicants but counting failed internal competition cities in the U.S., Germany and Spain)

Correction: as much as 30 cities.

Thanks, Felipe_Golias, for that answer. Whatever the number was, it comes to show that the idea of wanting to host the Olympic Games will not slow down anytime soon.

Key dates

13 September 2007

- NOCs to inform the IOC of the name of an Applicant City

14 January 2008

- Submission of Application File and guarantee letters to the IOC

Jan-June 2008

- Examination of replies by the IOC

June 2008

- IOC Executive Board acceptance of Candidate Cities

8 – 24 August 2008

- Olympic Games Observer Programme – Beijing 2008

12 February 2009

- Submission of Candidature File to the IOC

One month before the election of the Host City

- Report of the 2016 IOC Evaluation Commission

2 October 2009

- Election of the Host City of 2016 Olympic Games during the 121st IOC Session in Copenhagen

Thanks, Felipe_Golias, for that answer. Whatever the number was, it comes to show that the idea of wanting to host the Olympic Games will not slow down anytime soon.

Key dates

13 September 2007

- NOCs to inform the IOC of the name of an Applicant City

14 January 2008

- Submission of Application File and guarantee letters to the IOC

Jan-June 2008

- Examination of replies by the IOC

June 2008

- IOC Executive Board acceptance of Candidate Cities

8 – 24 August 2008

- Olympic Games Observer Programme – Beijing 2008

12 February 2009

- Submission of Candidature File to the IOC

One month before the election of the Host City

- Report of the 2016 IOC Evaluation Commission

2 October 2009

- Election of the Host City of 2016 Olympic Games during the 121st IOC Session in Copenhagen

Will the shortlist be revealed in June 2008?

Will the shortlist be revealed in June 2008?

Yes. We can pretty much guess it will be five of them, depending on where the applicant cities are located.

Yes. We can pretty much guess it will be five of them, depending on where the applicant cities are located.

2 slots for North/South America regions. (Chicago, Rio)

2 slots for Europe (Rome, Madrid)

1 slot for Asia (Tokyo)

Unless a new city gets into the race I see it like this.

Anyone think differently??

Well, I've always thought Doha probably will have what it takes to make the short list (though no way would they win from there). With tyhe money they have and the facilities they have in place, they have what it takes to score highly on the short list evaluation (which uis almost totally technical).

Rio I see as the shaky one _ their struggle will be to make the short list. If they can make it that far, though, anything could happen then.

I don't even see Doha being short-listed. They may have the "money" & the facilities, but they would seem to lack in the accommodation dept. I don't even see cruise ships making up for this. Another area that would cost them many points for the short-list, is security concerns/political instability in the region. Not to mention how small of a country Qatar is.

I don't even see Doha being short-listed. They may have the "money" & the facilities, but they would seem to lack in the accommodation dept. I don't even see cruise ships making up for this. Another area that would cost them many points for the short-list, is security concerns/political instability in the region. Not to mention how small of a country Qatar is.

I agree with you. If I were to put money down on either Rio or Doha making the short list, I would put all of it towards Rio.

Yeah, I just don't see Doha at all on the short-list. In addition to the other focal areas mentioned, another would be the tranportation network (one of the most important, if not the most crucial). And theirs does not appear to be very good in the least. At the Asian Games there last year, that was the issue criticised the most: bad transportation. And the very few expansions that are presently in place are still not going to be enough to accommodate the onslaught of high-demand Olympic traffic. So who are the trying to kid.

• 1 month later...

Once the 2014 Olympic Winter Games host city is known at 5:00 pm MST (equivalent to Guatemala City local time), then the official race for the 2016 Olympic Games [the Games of the XXXIst (31st) Olympiad] begins.

Archived