What's Next For Vancouver?

I've been thinking about this for awhile of what's in store for the lower mainland in the future.

First Expo 86. Now the Winter Olympics. What "big" thing should Vancouver do next? Discuss.

I've got an idea but I want to see what others on this message board have on their minds. :rolleyes:

Ah, but there were also the 1954 Empire Games.

So about every 20-30 years, Vancouver hosts an big international event.

Don't think the city will host the Summer Olympics, but maybe they'll aim for a Commonwealth, PanAm or University Games? Other than Worlds Fairs and Games, what other big events are there?

One thing I forgot to add in my first post is that it doesn't have to be limited to a temporary event like Expo or the Olympics. It could be something permanent that could really bring in people, could also be a good source of jobs, etc.

One thing I forgot to add in my first post is that it doesn't have to be limited to a temporary event like Expo or the Olympics. It could be something permanent that could really bring in people, could also be a good source of jobs, etc.

turn Hastings Park into a real zoo or a real amusement park......and bring back the Molson Indy.

I don't think Vancouver will host a Summer Olympics anytime soon. The next major event I see the city hosting is FIFA World Cup matches when Canada hosts the event in 20-30 years, maybe sooner? Who knows

When you say bring in people, what do you mean? Tourists or new residents? I don't think Vancouver needs any great influx of new residents. Real estate is so expensive and doesn't need to get any higher. And before people start, don't tell me Vancouver real estate is a bargain when compared to NYC, London or Hong Kong because Vancouver wages and career opportunities are also a lot less than those in NYC, London or Hong Kong.

I went through the posts and saw the ideas you guys had. The idea I have is to set up something permanent that would bring in tourists and serve the locals' entertainment needs. One of you read my mind: Mr X. An amusement park, or better yet theme park. Of course there really isn't much room in Vancouver for this so the lower mainland communities would have to work together at this to provide the necessary space. One thing I am against is farmland being taken up for it but its being taken over by housing anyway, so why not bring in something that could be a source of jobs? So here it is...

It's been in the news a little a few months ago that Disney wants to expand its theme park operations in North America. If I remember correctly from this article I read, one of their first projects in this new direction they are taking, is to build a third theme park near Disneyland down in Anaheim and then possibly build a new park elsewhere in North America. Why not in the lower mainland region of BC? I've pitched this idea on another message board and the first reaction was too much rain! ( I guess we have David Duchovny to thank for this region's image). Let's see, the lower mainland region is milder than Paris and Paris has a Disneyland. The lower mainland's weather is comparable to Tokyo and Tokyo has a Disneyland. Hong Kong gets quite a bit of rain too and it too now has a Disneyland. Why not here?

Some positives that work for the lower mainland:

Vancouver: known to be an international city

Vancouver International Airport: one of the biggest in North America

The SkyTrain: could be extended to the park

International citizens: In all my travels, Vancouver and the lower mainland has to be the largest selection of international citizens I have ever experienced. People from many backgrounds from all over the world.

Space: still places in Surrey or Abbotsford where it could be built

I do remember that failed attempt at building that amusement park near Scott Road in Surrey, and they were thinking of relocating the PNE there. From what I remember, supposedly the financers behind that included Michael Jackson and an Arabian prince. I wonder what would happen if Disney expressed interest to set up shop here? What do you guys think?

As for the summer games, sure Canada will probably get them again but it will likely go to Toronto.

I went through the posts and saw the ideas you guys had. The idea I have is to set up something permanent that would bring in tourists and serve the locals' entertainment needs. One of you read my mind: Mr X. An amusement park, or better yet theme park. Of course there really isn't much room in Vancouver for this so the lower mainland communities would have to work together at this to provide the necessary space. One thing I am against is farmland being taken up for it but its being taken over by housing anyway, so why not bring in something that could be a source of jobs? So here it is...

It's been in the news a little a few months ago that Disney wants to expand its theme park operations in North America. If I remember correctly from this article I read, one of their first projects in this new direction they are taking, is to build a third theme park near Disneyland down in Anaheim and then possibly build a new park elsewhere in North America. Why not in the lower mainland region of BC? I've pitched this idea on another message board and the first reaction was too much rain! ( I guess we have David Duchovny to thank for this region's image). Let's see, the lower mainland region is milder than Paris and Paris has a Disneyland. The lower mainland's weather is comparable to Tokyo and Tokyo has a Disneyland. Hong Kong gets quite a bit of rain too and it too now has a Disneyland. Why not here?

Some positives that work for the lower mainland:

Vancouver: known to be an international city

Vancouver International Airport: one of the biggest in North America

The SkyTrain: could be extended to the park

International citizens: In all my travels, Vancouver and the lower mainland has to be the largest selection of international citizens I have ever experienced. People from many backgrounds from all over the world.

Space: still places in Surrey or Abbotsford where it could be built

I do remember that failed attempt at building that amusement park near Scott Road in Surrey, and they were thinking of relocating the PNE there. From what I remember, supposedly the financers behind that included Michael Jackson and an Arabian prince. I wonder what would happen if Disney expressed interest to set up shop here? What do you guys think?

As for the summer games, sure Canada will probably get them again but it will likely go to Toronto.

There was also a plan in 1999 to build a 800-hectacre movie studio, major entertainment complex,and a "spectacular" Disney-like theme park (and the new home of PNE) at Burns Bog and at the same time some 1400 hectares of land would be preserved. But the Liberal government cancelled it, bought the bog, and turned it into a preserve....which is unfortunate.

Since we're so environmentally friendly (*sigh*), I'd say build an Alton Towers type of theme park....basically, a theme park in the forest (after years of planting trees) with no ride taller than the tree line.

I'd love to see a Disney park up here.