New London 2012 Brand On June 4

• Replies 563
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well, i have to admit that London 2012 is bringing down the house with this .

I don't know if it will be a human heart. Remember that Euro 2004 in Portugal used the same theme. It will be surely a dinamic logo, very easy to understand and identify. Perhaps it would be 4 colors at the logo or 4 elements that symbolizes passion, inspiration, participation and stimulation. Also LOGOC will release a commercial and non-commercial logo (this last one will not have the olympic rings).

These last days the IOC wanted to evolve more and don't give us the usual thing (like a few months, with the creation of the Youth Olympics), so i think they did a wise decision on giving LOGOC these chance to innovate. Hope the result come good in a few hours :P

Seb Coe has just been interviewed on the BBC on the Inside Sport programme. He was asked to give clues about the brand and all he would say is its very ambitious and its about reaching out to the youth to bring them into sport.

So gawd knows, Im sure I wont sleep tonight LOL

OK, I'm totally guessing but I think the logo will be a representation of the human heart, it will be pink and it will be very simple, possibly just one iconic image

That would be quite ironical since the heart was the symbol of Paris 2012... ;)

But I hope it's something simple. It has to since it is to symbolize London Games to a very diverse crowd, with very different cultural and personal background.

Can't wait 'til tomorrow:

1. London new brand
  2. 2014 Evaluation Report

(does any one know why LOCOG picked that day for the new brand unveiling BTW?)

I'm pretty sure that the logo will represent or at least include something typical for London or Britain.

Aren't bridges a strong Olympic symbol, for example? They cross natural or man-made boundaries and thus are a symbol for global understanding. So could it be that the silhouette of Tower Bridge will be included in the logo?

Or is that too simple and the logo will be a much more elaborate representation of the host city or country? Maybe a modern, artful flow of lines (not very different from the current logo) representing the major role London and Britain played for pop culture?

Will they really include a genuine national symbol like St. George's Cross? Or will it rather be a symbol for London's internationality?

So many questions, and only one answer. Still a little more than 18 hours to go. I'm curious as hell...

Ambitious and reaching out to the youth....?

I think this 4 days campaign has achieved this intention, by reaching out to blogs and myspace is already enough said! Its a brilliant move and what exactly can represent the youth now?

Maybe a moving flash emblem that will be used massively on the net.

Hologram? 3d? I have no clue at all but I know its gonna be a futuristic representation of humanity.

I think we should brace ourselves for something that sets a new presidence in Olympic logos, from what Seb Coe said, the fact that these games are in London isnt really an issue. I really think it will be an image, not relating to the city, and not to the country but to the world. This image will be the new face of London rather than an image that represents London as it is. And why the hell not, the image could be so recognisable soon that it will say London 2012 without having to put the London 2012 bit.

If this is the case they should be congratulated on their bravery and inginuety. They are by passing creating an image that already says London, because people will always complain that another image says more about London than the one they picked, if they choose Tower Bridge for instance people would say why not the London Eye.

So why not create a new image of London for the world to see, it says we are forward looking, world embracing and are ready to welcome the world. This may all be twaddle, but we can dream, well at least until tommorrow. If it is an image of Tower Bridge I wont be happy, it says nothing about the London that exists today and its place in the world.

So bring on tommorrow, the world is watching

Ambitious and reaching out to the youth....?

I think this 4 days campaign has achieved this intention, by reaching out to blogs and myspace is already enough said! Its a brilliant move and what exactly can represent the youth now?

Maybe a moving flash emblem that will be used massively on the net.

Hologram? 3d? I have no clue at all but I know its gonna be a futuristic representation of humanity.

A hologram would have been futuristic in 1977 not 2007

I’m sort of expecting the only symbol of London to be the word London

And the rest of the logo will be portraying the aims of the Olympics in deep electric colours

With sub logos effecting each other in some way. And somehow appearing to emit light and power.

I think we should brace ourselves for something that sets a new presidence in Olympic logos, from what Seb Coe said, the fact that these games are in London isnt really an issue. I really think it will be an image, not relating to the city, and not to the country but to the world. This image will be the new face of London rather than an image that represents London as it is. And why the hell not, the image could be so recognisable soon that it will say London 2012 without having to put the London 2012 bit.

If this is the case they should be congratulated on their bravery and inginuety. They are by passing creating an image that already says London, because people will always complain that another image says more about London than the one they picked, if they choose Tower Bridge for instance people would say why not the London Eye.

So why not create a new image of London for the world to see, it says we are forward looking, world embracing and are ready to welcome the world. This may all be twaddle, but we can dream, well at least until tommorrow. If it is an image of Tower Bridge I wont be happy, it says nothing about the London that exists today and its place in the world.

So bring on tommorrow, the world is watching

I think its quite true of what you said. When Seb Coe mentioned ambitious, I think maybe he is trying to say that the new logo will be a representation of the world, and not London alone. And in a way it means that London by 2012 (the top metropolitan in the world) will represent what this world is about: a global city and the spirit of all human races living together.

By the way, to those who signed up for the exclusive preview of the launch tomorrow at 11am, did you receive the link on email?

I haven't and the official website posted a notice stating the brand was going to be revealed it there at 1230 pm (1.5 hours later than the actual preview).

Cant wait for it, will be witnessing it in the office tomorrow!

:D

There is no aspect of London that would disappoint me if it was on the logo ,

Tower bridge will be at the centre of the sporting action .but I wouldn’t expect to see it on the logo

As the issue is how the aims of the games are represented

Getting young people involved in sport

Inspiring people from around the world

Cultural diversity

It should be an interesting logo

Any symbols of London would have to be very abstract

I assume we'll be getting another email tomorrow with the link Kev.

BUT Talk about building it up guys!! It still has to incorporate the Olympic Rings with the appropraite amount of white space around them. They can't change. So having an overly dynamic logo, or one where the word London is prominant above all else, could lead to it looking imbalanced. I know Seb said it is ambitious, but have you ever heard anyone say the opposite before a brand launch? I do believe it will be unlike any other Olympic logo, but that's also not necessarily saying much - going back to '92 we have three running men, a flame and an olive branch; not exactly the sharp end of brand innovation.

I'm just saying, don't set yourselves up for a fall. You're hyping it up into a frenzy!

Im convinced the London 2012 bit wont be prominant at all, I think by the time the games are here the logo will be used with out the actual words in a lot of instances like the apple logo. You dont have to see the words Apple u see the image u know its apple. Im gonna shut up now, we can discuss it as much as we want but Im sure we wont get near what we see tommorrow.

Im sure we will all have a lot to say tommorrow, enjoy people ; )

Archived