Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

GBModerator

New London 2012 Brand On June 4

Well If they announce they are scraping the flat ones

I would almost agree

But I think if we are ging to use it for the next fave years it would be better

If the starting piont was something that had been and was liked.

Well If they announce they are scraping the flat ones

I would almost agree

But I think if we are ging to use it for the next fave years it would be better

If the starting piont was something that had been and was liked.

I agree, whether it was deliberately planned that way or not, introducing it as a flat, ugly logo was a mistake. They should have started with the infilling from day 1, they should have presented one with an image in it that could represent its potential. But I suppose, if they did, it would always be considered the "official" one, just as people seem to be regarding the flat coloured ones as "official". As I said, if the concept works as I suspect it will, no single logo (with an image or not) will ever be the "official" one. The best that can ever be done is to perhaps say that certain ones will be "representative" of the concept.

I don’t agree that the official logo isn’t an issue

a logo is smoothing that should work in flat colour.

And if it doesn’t its not good enough.

the concept of filling the shapes is good.

But we should be filling in a design that people like.

I don’t agree that the official logo isn’t an issue

a logo is smoothing that should work in flat colour.

And if it doesn’t its not good enough.

the concept of filling the shapes is good.

But we should be filling in a design that people like.

The thing is, and I suppose this is the concept that LOCOG is having and will have trouble getting across, is that the "official" logo is just the outline of the shape and the word "london" and the Olympic rings. Anything else inside, a flat colour, a design or a photo, is irrelevant. But there is no way to represent it on its own as just a transparent frame. That why, on Monday, they showed it with a variety of colours and even some with patterns inside.

Basically it's a vagina (or an asshole for the gay population here) and you can put whatever you want into it....that's how i see it now.

nice renderings btw....shocked to see though that it's the shape of the logo.

nice renderings btw....shocked to see though that it's the shape of the logo.

Are you sure? I can't really see that.

I agree, whether it was deliberately planned that way or not, introducing it as a flat, ugly logo was a mistake. They should have started with the infilling from day 1, they should have presented one with an image in it that could represent its potential.

Actually, they kinda did that in one of the promotional videos (the non-seizure one). At the very of the video, where the logo is shown, it's pretty clear that the logo is hollow.

I don't think the pink (or orange, or green, or cyan or any of the "flat" colours) are the "official" logo, or rather, it's going to be difficult to talk of an "official" logo when it is going to be different each time. What we saw in the launch was basically just a "blue screen" version of it _ the very basic shape template that will be used. I think it was a mistake to only launch it that way because, yes, it IS ugly just on its own like that. But then again, the Telegraph says it was a legal matter that prevented the "infill" versions being shown, and I suspect it may have been planned all along to start off with a shocker to get people talking. And you know what, it worked. We ALL fell for it. Indeed, I'm sure it was planned like this all along. It has only perhaps been the depth of vehemence against the original flat design that took LOCOG by surprise, but even that now is probably an amazing strole of luck _ it really has raised awareness and engaged the public.

In hindsight, it seems so obvious now. Even at the Monday launch, we did get glimpses of the logo with some designs in it (like the paralympic version _ which even then I thought was an improvement on the flat logo). But it's amazing no-one made the logical leap and saw how it could be used with photos and other images inside (I expect we'll also eventually see moving video inside as well). But as soon as I saw the pic from the Telegraph yesterday, it was as if something clicked in my mind and my whole perception of it changed.

Maybe I'm an annoying, "born again" logo lover now, but I think it's a great concept now.

Dont worry, since reading your post about the telegraph article I have been kicking myself too. You are right, it seems so logical now and they have more than hinted along the way. I am really surprised that nobody from Gamesbids came up with it sooner.