New London 2012 Brand On June 4

All the main players have kept a very low profile over the last few days - Seb Coe and Tessa Jowell were supposed to do media interviews on Monday evening but cancelled. The only person that has made public comments is the Mayor - and we all know his views!

Hmm. Do you think that it is a sign of anything?

• Replies 563
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I wonder why the 50,000 signature petition was taken down. Did the guy get paid off or something?

Maybe he was killed :huh: London 2012 doesn't publish the negative views of those who hated the logo. They just publish the good stuff. All this sounds very sad to me.

Following a response from 48,615 people in two days an online petition against the London 2012 Summer Olympic and Paralympic Games logo has closed.

Jonathon Ellis, creator of the petition, said he closed the petition “as it becomes clear that the logo is here to stay – there is little point in damaging the reputation of our Olympic Games, that was never the intention”.

If something shady had happened to the guy, that would of been more reason to axe this piece of crap brand. :mellow:

Maybe he was killed :huh: London 2012 doesn't publish the negative views of those who hated the logo. They just publish the good stuff. All this sounds very sad to me.

OMG! of course! IT WAS JAMES BOND!

In the bid video, they had MI6 with a shot of Miss Moneypenny and Roger Moore!

Moorebond.jpg

OMG! of course! IT WAS JAMES BOND!

In the bid video, they had MI6 with a shot of Miss Moneypenny and Roger Moore!

Moorebond.jpg

Bond is a good guy… he would never kill for that piece of crap ;)

Maybe Coe went to him and he was like “Listen! I’m from the 80s. I won the gold in the 80s and London 2012 will be the 80s Olympics! :unsure:

I love the Chinese reaction (from China daily)

London Olympic logo boosts love for Chinese seal

By Cruz Fang (chinadaily.com.cn)

Updated: 2007-06-07 18:19

Beijing - Many Chinese may not like the logo for the 2008 Beijing Olympics, but after seeing the newly-unveiled jigsaw puzzle-like design for the 2012 London Games, they feel lucky having a pretty good one.

A number of Chinese don't understand how this "messy" pattern has come out from selection process, saying the so-called "China Seal" a neat blend of China's history and sport.

Championed by London Olympic officials but disapproved by the public, the 2012 Olympics logo has met far more opposition than that of Beijing's only days after its unveiling.

Jacques Rogge, president of the International Olympic Committee praised the design as innovative, but the logo has seen worldwide reaction going the opposite direction, triggering scathing criticism online and even people demanding for a replacement.

Meanwhile, the Chinese are pleased that at least most of them support their own culture-loaded stamp to represent the image for the nation's debut Olympic experience.

An official for the Beijing Olympics orgnizing committee who would only speak on the condition of anonymity said: "I don't like the design. It looks messy. I know it wins support from the International Olympic Committee, but I personally don't like it."

The graffiti-like design also generated the same response from 36-year-old Man Bin who works for China's State Council Information Office.

"It's quite unorganized and looks bad,." Man said. "I don't see beauty from it, and it reminds me of the run down streets of New York City."

To 28-year-old Zhang Xin, a video game music producer, the London logo is too "avant-garde". "I don't really like it because it's too electronic looking," Zhang said. "It looks like it was designed by the French or Americans."

These three interviewees firmly supported Beijing's design.

"Beijing's logo displays a sense of history and culture," said Zhang. "The running figure is quite an original idea and really shows what it means."

When asked for opinion on the London Olympics design, 22-year-old American Erin Zureick, who works in Beijing as intern, cannot wait to express her dislike. "Do you think it's ugly too?" was her response. "It's too bright. It just isn't very appealing to look at it."

But Zureick is in favor of the "China Seal", describing it as "modern" and represents some part of Chinese culture. And all in all, "it's really nice-looking", Erin added.

Both Zureick and Zhang appreciate the idea embraced by the London Games organizers of attracting young people. "But it seems like it was a good idea that went in the wrong direction," the American university student said.

Oh my God! This LOCOG lives in its own world. The comments on the article "Being bold" from London 2012 Blog are positive. Everybody is in love with that new logo! What was that? A Middle Eastern dictatorship or something? They can put the positive stuff up there (I think they made it up) but they don’t have the right to delete the other comments… they called themselves BOLD, bold my ***!

Absolutely. Their motto seem to be: Deny always and whatever! ..what surprises me more is that the ioc seems to support the idea!

..and to think that few days before they rejected the Chicago one (which I don't like much for it graphically but at least reach of meaning) for banal reasons.

SAid that, I'll move on from this.. I want to convince me that this crap may not have a negative impact to the London olympics. Right here is quite hard to think so. That doesn't mean that sooner or later it could grow in me.. I refuse it!

*sigh* Why don't they simply take a logo of another former 2012 applicant city:

lg2012lz.gif

It's a little bit abstract and has a modern look, too. And I guess that one could even animate that effect with the burning flame. So there you'd have a web-compatible logo. Even the thing on the base of the flame which looks a little bit like an L would suit London. And the logo is already designed, so there are no extra costs! Could be that easy. ;)

"Due to overwhelming public support and demand, GoPetition.com has opened an updated petition that includes the signature count from the original petition started by Jonathan Ellis."

haha, they must love the traffic....the best thing that ever happened to the site.

*sigh* Why don't they simply take a logo of another former 2012 applicant city:

lg2012lz.gif

It's a little bit abstract and has a modern look, too. And I guess that one could even animate that effect with the burning flame. So there you'd have a web-compatible logo. Even the thing on the base of the flame which looks a little bit like an L would suit London. And the logo is already designed, so there are no extra costs! Could be that easy. ;)

thats a nice one

Its too bad we won't know what the alternatives were like in Beijing:

Beijing 2008 Top 10 Options

Of course, since this was done by an agency, the thing likely evolved from discussions about concepts, colours and shapes and not so much a bunch of designs where one was picked and a bunch were tossed.

Lucky they didn’t pick 10

Its too bad we won't know what the alternatives were like in Beijing:

Beijing 2008 Top 10 Options

Of course, since this was done by an agency, the thing likely evolved from discussions about concepts, colours and shapes and not so much a bunch of designs where one was picked and a bunch were tossed.

This surely has to be people jumping on the band wagon. I can't see any reason to it.

If you look at previous Olympic logo then some of them are completely ugly and some of them have just a few blobs of paint like Barcelona. In fact, if you look at the Top 10 Beijing logos. Pretty much all of them are ridiculously basic made up of just a few swooshes of paint. What I am saying is, why is London getting so much flack when there is far worse out there already. I don't remember there being this much fuss about previous bad logos. Perhaps it's because I am not a logo geek and just dont remember it. How on earth can London be getting so mcuh grief when you have logos like the one from Munich and Mexico which are absolutely horrific. I think I have the answer, it's a sign of the times added with British press causing a fuss like they always do and a fair element of jumping on the bandwagon coupled with people looking at a static image and not being able to translate that into a brand. I aceept that some people may just hate it from first site but I think that the majority of this hysteria is down to less honest reasoning.

This surely has to be people jumping on the band wagon. I can't see any reason to it.

If you look at previous Olympic logo then some of them are completely ugly and some of them have just a few blobs of paint like Barcelona. In fact, if you look at the Top 10 Beijing logos. Pretty much all of them are ridiculously basic made up of just a few swooshes of paint. What I am saying is, why is London getting so much flack when there is far worse out there already. I don't remember there being this much fuss about previous bad logos. Perhaps it's because I am not a logo geek and just dont remember it. How on earth can London be getting so mcuh grief when you have logos like the one from Munich and Mexico which are absolutely horrific. I think I have the answer, it's a sign of the times added with British press causing a fuss like they always do and a fair element of jumping on the bandwagon coupled with people looking at a static image and not being able to translate that into a brand. I aceept that some people may just hate it from first site but I think that the majority of this hysteria is down to less honest reasoning.

How long ago were Munich and Mexico? That's a bad comparison.

Most of the Beijing finalists would've made good logos.

And the majority of the hysteria comes from the fact the logo is utter crap. Period.

The Munich design is better than London’s.

this hasnt’t been wiped up by the media

The London logo is getting so much criticism because London sells its self as a design centre of excellence.

Is this the best we can do

And as well as that

It demotes London to small print

And offers nothing to be proud of.

it fails on every front.

and looks cheep.

Ever consider that it just might really just be a bad design? I know a lot of people who have seen it just on their own without any influence from the media and nearly all have had an astonishingly negative reaction – just check out the blogosphere.

Branding isn’t about design, it is about making a promise to your audience and creating an emotional response to your product or service – or in this case, event. Design helps to communicate your promise and shape that emotional response. You basically have three kinds of people – people who love you, people who hate you and people who are either indifferent or don’t know you – and all of that can change really fast.

The people who already buy into the London 2012 promise do so no matter what – they are a captured market, they love 2012 and always will. Others need more convincing.

I don’t think it is a bandwagon thing, it is simply the public’s emotional response to the design. The negativity toward this design is a purely emotional response and a very strong one – I’d say the strongest response to the Olympics in a non-Olympic year that I’ve ever seen, even stronger than the bidding scandal.

I know the expectations were high and probably impossible to meet, but I don’t think they even came close. Most polls show that over 80% hate the logo. During the bid phase, the public was promised something great for Britain. This design has failed to reinforce that promise.

As someone who works in the field, I find it utterly fascinating.

This is a very bad way to launch a brand.

How on earth can London be getting so mcuh grief when you have logos like the one from Munich and Mexico which are absolutely horrific.

Well, you find them horrific. I don't know about Mexico's logo, but in terms of Munich's logo the vast majority has (again) a completely different opinion than you: As I already said, Munich's logo still is a popular brand here in Germany -- it's still the logo for the former Olympic lottery Glücksspirale. Thus it has reached a level of timelessness unsurpassed by many previous and subsequent logos. And I've never read that its unveiling created a turmoil like London's logo did.

Archived