Who Says There's No Rotation?

Baron, I don't think this theory necessarily favors N.A. for 2016 in Copenhagen in 2009 (hopefully, it'll be the exception, though). Cuz if you look at the latter portions of European IOC Summer election sessions, all of them (with the exceptions of Lausaune, of course) have been awarded to Asia/(Oceania-Pacific Rim):

Moscow '01/ Beijing '08

Monte Carlo '93/ Sydney '00

Baden Baden '81/ Seoul '88

Munich '59/ Tokyo '64

Even the 2 Asian (Japanese) Winter Olympics were awarded in Europe:

Rome '66/ Sapporo '72 & Birmingham '91/ Nagano '98.

Hmmm, this doesn't look to favor Pyeongchang either.

But the weather predicted over the Danish peninsula come October 2009 is the La Sirenita effect, from which good winds coming down the Kattegat and the Skaggerat will blow good tidings to the west, past 3 huge lakes and settlein a modern city by Lake Michigan.

For Guatemala in July, all the curanderas and shamans of the indigenous Guatemalan peopole (the Toltecs I think) have all been signed up to pray and raise white smoke for a Korean victory; and bad spells cast against the other two 'hairy, white men's bid from the land of ice!!

So fear not, there are always antidotes to counter any evil forces that will attempt to disrupt the carefully, perfectly balanced cycle of Olympic-award-winning ciities,

But voting sessions have only ever been held in 3 non European cities - Tokyo in '90, Seoul in '88 & '99 and Singapore in '05. Guatemala '09 will be the first time ever that an Olympic city will be annouced from the Americas.

According to the stats given in depeche's post

Yes, these stats are relatively correct.

However if you think countries rather than cities, then the nearest point to Guatemala of the three countries is in Providenia, Russia.

It is next to Alaska and is 'only' 8 thousand kms away :)

Also, the furthest point of the three countries is in Russia's Siberia some 15 thousand kms away

But voting sessions have only ever been held in 3 non European cities - Tokyo in '90, Seoul in '88 & '99 and Singapore in '05. Guatemala '09 will be the first time ever that an Olympic city will be annouced from the Americas.

Let's see:

1988 - Summer Olympic Games in Seoul.

1988 - IOC session for election of 1994 Winter Olympics host city in Seoul.

1999 - IOC session for election of 2006 Winter Olympics host city in Seoul.

2002 - FIFA World Cup part hosted in South Korea.

2014 - Asian Games to be hosted in Incheon.

2014 - Winter Olympic Games in Pyeongchang???

Hmmm...it seems to me that the South Koreans have had more than their fair share of the international sporting limelight within the past 20 years for such a small country.I think many IOC members might be suffering from a surfeit of South Korea and,what with Austria's 2 previous hostings,they may wish to turn to a newer,fresher locale! :unsure:

Newcomer Sochi might be in with a better chance to swing this one than I thought!! B)

Mainad, you do realize that Baron shall have something to say about your post, don't you. :lol:

Anyway, the only way Sochi has any chance at winning this, is if the IOC is confident enough, without any drastic delays & headaches, that Russia shall deliver ALL the goods it promises (over the other 2, much better prepared candidates) in time for the 2014 Winter Olympics.

Similarly, a full IOC Voting session has never been hosted by a South American or African city (altho Cairo or Alexandria may have hosted an Executive Board meeting once in the past, I think).

P.S. Great-grandpop, PdCI, Avery Brundage and Lord Killanin are all communing to compose a response to Mainad's last post.

Well, no IOC sessions have ever been held in Africa or South America. Sessions have been held in Australia and North America because those continents have hosted the Olympics a number of times. But the voting sessions have only ever been in Europe or Asia...until the session later this year.

Would be interesting to know why/how the IOC chose Guatemala City for their next session. I could see Mexico City or Rio de Janiero or something of the like, but GC is just bewildering.

Well, the IOC Session host city is elected by the IOC Session among candidates, just like the Games Host City.

Guatemala City was already a candidate to host the 2005 Session that went to Singapore.

GC was elected ahead of Durban and Copenhagen (in Athens I think).

Archived