Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Durban Sandshark

Anchorage 1994 Venue Graphics

Here is a little treat for you all -

here are the excerpts from the Anchorage 1994 Bid Books regarding the planned Olympic Stadium and Ceremonies.

Basically the plan was to combine the speed skating, ice hockey and figure skating venues.  It basically would make a weird U shaped building tapering at the end.  Capacities were 20,000 for ceremonies, 16,000 for skating/hockey and 12,000 for speed skating.  Enjoy!

Anchorage 1994

lg1994a1.jpg

That facility wouldn't look right and be too weird. Nice idea though. Don't get me wrong I liked and supported Anchorage's bid and wished it could build a better arena to go along with the Sullivan Arena (who knows, maybe the Alaska-Anchorage Seawolves programs would've make the jump to Division I in basketball). Capacity for the Opening and Closing Ceremonies wouldn't be enough to satisfy the massive ticket demand for starters. Good thing the Japanese improved on the concept starting with the Saitama Super Arena.

i agree....good concept but the stadium should have a lot more spectator capacity.

While the capacity is low - I think it is a good idea nonetheless.  The ceremonies would have been visable outside via the huge glass end wall and also with big screens throughout the city.  I think the main issue would be those people at the far end in the bottom tier would have a view of a wall during parts of the ceremonies.

Otherwise I applaud the decision to build (like Atlanta) a venue specifically after Games usage.  Anchorage doesn't need a number of indoor arenas.

Yes, Anchorage doesn't need a lot of facilites for Olympic venues like Salt Lake City does. It's smaller than Salt Lake City, and lacks a big time pro sports scene(with all due respect to the ECHL's Alaska Aces, a minor league baseball(?), and the aforementioned Seawolves). I just remebered about Nagano's Big M, which is a retractable indoor facility used for speed skating in 1998 and later for even American football, figure skating, and ice hockey.

Well I guess that was what Anchorage was aiming for - but yeah, a but of a dodgy idea - and yes the Saitama Super Arena has shown what can be done - but would that have been buildable in 1989/1990 when construction would have started for 1994?  No - the cost would have been exorbitent.

I wonder if Alaska could ever poach a major league team - obviously they'd need to build a stadium like the Telstra Dome in Melbourne, or the Tokyo Dome.  The Anchorage Dodgers, anyone?? :)