Torch Relay

Faster

Ok, so Beijing's has come and was a disappointment, now for Vancouver's.

My thoughts:

Olympia to Athens to Beijing to Auckland to Sydney to Cape Town to Rome to Vienna to Budapest to Berlin to Munich to Paris to Barcelona to Britania to London to Dublin to Edinburgh to Amsterdam to Copenhagen to Stockholm to Oslo on a ship to L'Anse aux Meadows to St. John's to Cape Breton to Halifax to Lunenburg to Moncton to St. John to Charlottetown to Fredericton to Gaspe to Rimouski to Chicoutimi to Quebec City to Montreal to Hull to Ottawa to Kingston to Toronto to Hamilton to Kitchener to London to Sudburg to Thunder Bay to Winnipeg to Gimli to Brandon to Iqaluit to Regina to Saskatoon to Yellowknife to Fort McMurrey to Edmonton to Calgary to Whitehorse and than to all over British Columbia.

If you can figure out the why for each of the international places you will get a gold star.

Ok, so Beijing's has come and was a disappointment, now for Vancouver's.

My thoughts:

Olympia to Athens to Beijing...

I think right there, Fast, I disagree with you. With today's announcement from BOCOG, I don't see VANOC reciprocating. And of course, the polite story would be: we're a Winter Games, so we only considered the Winter Cities. ANd it certainly makes sense. Beijing's out. Harbin maybe.

I think right there, Fast, I disagree with you. With today's announcement from BOCOG, I don't see VANOC reciprocating. And of course, the polite story would be: we're a Winter Games, so we only considered the Winter Cities. ANd it certainly makes sense. Beijing's out. Harbin maybe.

I just picked a Chinese city, but Hong Kong would be a fair better placement or Shanghai. Vancouver and Chinese are very linked and it goes along with the theme of many other places. Though I did not include India because of their lack of winterness, though if really should since I included South Africa.

I was told that the Vancouver torch route will travel to the North Pole and then all over Canada. Also they didn't say anything about a global torch route. I wrote a list of cities that hosted past winter games last year though. It would be nice if they include them.

Anyways,

I hope the VANOC will have the flame visit different from the Calgary 88' route. That way it would have a chance for other cities to share the flame. Like Iqaluit, Nunavut or something.

I just picked a Chinese city, but Hong Kong would be a fair better placement or Shanghai. Vancouver and Chinese are very linked and it goes along with the theme of many other places. Though I did not include India because of their lack of winterness, though if really should since I included South Africa.

Yes I think the flame of Vancouver should visit Hong Kong too, because a very sizeable amount of Vancouver citizens are orginally from Hong Kong.

I don't think Vancouver's torch relay will be global. Frankly, I think the global relay is a bit too much. I also can't see how Vancouver can offer a much different relay route than what happened for Calgary, save for maybe what happens in the north and in BC & Alberta. Most of Canada's population runs along the Trans Canada Highway and it would be stupid to bypass cities like Montreal or Toronto in favour of small remote communities. I imagine a plan that starts in the far north, skims down the coast to Newfoundland and then essentially runs the Trans Canada Highway west to Alberta where it then zig-zags across British Columbia.

MapFinal.GIF

Edited by Kendegra

With the alleged "budget problems" that could or have come with VANOC lately, it would be seen as "ridiculous" to have another global relay like this. Besides, it doesn't help in some cases, when the positive news is being drowned out by negative publicity and it is supposed to be "Canada's Games." Other than that, I concur with Kendegra here.

I agree, an international relay may not be realistic for this, but I do like the idea of the relay going from Oslo to L’Anse aux Meadows, the first European settlement in the New World.

I just can't wait to see this relay really. I was too young to appricate Calgary, so I'm excited to see the show Canada puts on. Haifax, Montreal, Qubec City, Toronto, Winnipeg, Edmonton, Calgary... plus my sentimental choices of Niagra Falls, Head-Smashed-In Buffalo Jump, north to Baffin Island...

Can't wait. Can't wait.

I could see a few New England cities included, and New York. It might go from Athens to NYC to Lake Placid to Canada.

I think there will be a longer relay and more stops than Calgary

Toronto, Montreal, Ottawa-Gatineau, Calgary, Edmonton, Quebec City, Winnipeg, Hamilton, London, Kitchener, Stcathrines-Niagara, halifax, Victoria, Windsor, Saskatoon, Regina, Sherbrooke, St. John's, Barrie, Kelowna, Abbotsford, Sudbury, Kingston, Saguenay, Trois-Riveires, Moncton, Guelph, Brantford, Thunder Bay, Saint John, Cape Breton, Lethbridge, Kamloops, Nanaimo, Fredericton, Prince George, Red Deer, Chilliwack, Cahrelottetown would be my guesses, plus a lot more from BC.

It's an interesting thought though: how do you divide up the realy fairly? BC deserves a fair number of city visits as host providence, but all of Canada, or at least as much as possible, should have a chance to be part of the Relay.

I'm actually hoping to make a visit up north to watch the relay as my family has friends in Winnipeg. An exciting time for Canada.

I could see a few New England cities included, and New York. It might go from Athens to NYC to Lake Placid to Canada.

I think there will be a longer relay and more stops than Calgary

Toronto, Montreal, Ottawa-Gatineau, Calgary, Edmonton, Quebec City, Winnipeg, Hamilton, London, Kitchener, Stcathrines-Niagara, halifax, Victoria, Windsor, Saskatoon, Regina, Sherbrooke, St. John's, Barrie, Kelowna, Abbotsford, Sudbury, Kingston, Saguenay, Trois-Riveires, Moncton, Guelph, Brantford, Thunder Bay, Saint John, Cape Breton, Lethbridge, Kamloops, Nanaimo, Fredericton, Prince George, Red Deer, Chilliwack, Cahrelottetown would be my guesses, plus a lot more from BC.

Why not do what Athens did and take the torch to every place that has hosted the Winter Games, Like this:

Olympia, Greece

Athens, Greece

Sarajevo, Bosnia

Rome, Italy

Turin, Italy

Cortina, Italy

Innsbruck, Austria

Salzburg, Austria (Even if not selected)

Munich, Germany

Garmisch-Partenkirchen, Germany

St. Moritz, Switzerland

Chamonix, France

Albertville, France

Grenoble, France

Paris, France

Lillehammer, Norway

Oslo, Norway

Sochi, Russia (Only if Selected)

Seoul, South Korea

PyongChang, South Korea (Only if Selected)

Nagano, Japan

Tokyo, Japan

Sapporo, Japan

Squaw Valley, United States

Salt Lake City, United States

Denver, United States

Lake Placed, United States

All over Canada

Vancouver, British Columbia

Why not do what Athens did and take the torch to every place that has hosted the Winter Games, Like this:

Olympia, Greece

Athens, Greece

Sarajevo, Bosnia

Rome, Italy

Turin, Italy

Cortina, Italy

Innsbruck, Austria

Munich, Germany

St. Moritz, Switzerland

Chamonix, France

Albertville, France

Grenoble, France

Paris, France

Lillehammer, Norway

Oslo, Norway

Seoul, South Korea

Nagano, Japan

Tokyo, Japan

Sapporo, Japan

Denver, United States

All over Canada

Because the jet lag would kill the organizers. That's just... too much, really, especially since the Vancouver folks are working to keep costs down.

I think Olympia-Athens-Canada with some skips over the border into New York is fine. I'd push for a stop at Internationa Falls so Minnesota gets a taste of the flame too. :)

Have to say that, my girl is from Minneapolis.

Olympia, Greece

Athens, Greece

Sarajevo, Bosnia

Rome, Italy

Turin, Italy

Cortina, Italy

Innsbruck, Austria

Munich, Germany

St. Moritz, Switzerland

Chamonix, France

Albertville, France

Grenoble, France

Paris, France

Lillehammer, Norway

Oslo, Norway

Seoul, South Korea

Nagano, Japan

Tokyo, Japan

Sapporo, Japan

Denver, United States

All over Canada

This relay will be a challenge because there are huge areas of Canada that are unpopulated, especially in the West and North. In the host province almost everything is in the south west and many of the northern communities are spread out and isolated. They will probably have to do a lot of hopping over small spots to get to the larger places.

It is pretty easy to link up a direct route to touch every major city from Newfoundland to Alberta. Linking up BC towns will be harder. And what approach into Vancouver? Over water from Victoria? Down the mountains from Whistler? Through the valley from Hope? Maybe they can just beam it from the Acropolis to Canada Place like they did in '76. LOL