Euro 2016

Southern Europe is Serbia, Romania, Bulgaria, Macedonia, Greece, Turkey, Croatia, Bosnia, Montenegro, Cyprus, Malta

Mediterreanen Europe is Portugal, Spain, France, Monaco, Italy

The climates are a bit different, vegetation characteristics are different.

Portugal is mediterranean and Malta,Greece or Cyprus are not? very interesting

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Mediterranean is far more than if you touch the sea.

LOL Then maybe the USA are Mediterranena too... Obviously Greece is a Mediterranean country, basically because they're a peninsula in the middle of the Mediterranean sea and the Greek history is the history of that sea. And if we talk about Malta, then the reasons are more than obvious: an island in the middle of the Mediterranean Sea isn't Mediterranean?

Com'on... it's just a geopolitical definition. Althought even Libya is Mediterranean, when he said about the Mediterranean countries, he was talking about the European countries next to the Mediterranean Sea, which main languages are Romances... and with "Southern Europe" he tried to define the countries in the Balkans. I think that a person that knows something about geography would understood him besides his definition wasn't completely right.

Probably he should said "South-Western European countries" and "Balkanic countries" or "South-Eastern European countries". ¬¬

• 7 months later...

It seems that France is likely to join this race..

10/12/2007

Foot - Euro 2016 - Laporte le veut en France

Le secrétaire d'Etat aux Sports, Bernard Laporte, annonce que l'Etat soutient pleinement l'organisation de l'Euro 2016 en France. Dans une interview au quotidien L'Equipe de mardi, l'ancien sélectionneur de l'équipe de France de rugby explique qu'il a reçu le président de la FFF, Jean-Pierre Escalettes, la semaine dernière, pour lui annoncer qu'il voulait que la France organise ce Championnat d'Europe des Nations. «Cet Euro, je le veux», clame-t-il simplement.

Bernard Laporte ajoute qu'une commission chargée de faire le bilan des infrastructures disponibles et de l'état des équipements va être mise en place, sans cependant indiquer quand : «Avant de créer officiellement cette commission, il faut déjà que nous lui trouvions un président. Nous voudrions qu'elle soit opérationnelle dès le début de l'année prochaine». Ensuite, il sera temps de déposer un dossier auprès de l'UEFA, «fin 2008 ou début 2009», selon le secrétaire d'Etat aux Sports, sachant que le pays organisateur sera désigné au printemps 2011.

lequipe.fr

Id like it to be between Sweden/Nor and Germany.

Germany will definitely not bid. Firstly, it's too soon after the 2006 World Cup and the 2011 Women's World Cup and secondly, the DFB has already promised to support France in the 2016 race in exchange for the withdrawal of the French 2011 Women's World Cup bid.

Germany will definitely not bid. Firstly, it's too soon after the 2006 World Cup and the 2011 Women's World Cup and secondly, the DFB has already promised to support France in the 2016 race in exchange for the withdrawal of the French 2011 Women's World Cup bid.

didn`t know that. Then I hope Norway&Sweden cohost, but maybe another cohost after 2012 is too soon.

I think Denmark, if they want to host, would be to push a hosting with Norway becauase Sweden will never agree. I would actually prefer a Denmark/Norway and think that so would UEFA beause Sweden hosted in 1992.

So you don´t like Norway´s bid to WOG 2018????? Do you think IOC will don´t like too??? Norway hosted WOG 1994!

Well, I don´t think Sweden should bid to Euro at all, because I think we should stay in focus for a WOG bid in Östersund/Åre!

• 2 weeks later...
The Norwegian footballing powers have been pushing for new stadia, lots of them. The Norwegian government needs something to push them to do something and change their attitudes. The reason why Sweden wants to push it with Norway over Denmark is because it would mean the final would be in Stockholm without question, whereas Copenhagen has just as much legitamy in hosting the final, especially since they are a former champion and Stockholm has already hosted a final.

WRONG! If Sweden/Norway give a bid to Euro 2016 the final should be in GOTHENBURG because it´s close to Norway. The problem is the Ullevi Stadium only is a 4-star arena. To a final you must be a 5-star arena. A final arena must be 50000+ but Ullevi has only 43000 places. We are going to build a new National Arena in Stockholm which will be ready in 2011. This Stadium will be a 5-star arena from the start! The biggest, or one of the biggest, stadiums in Scandinavia will be in Stockholm. That´s why we cannot forget Stockholm in the plans of a bid of Euro 2016 and especially the final.

• 2 weeks later...

I Think that Scotland should join the bidding.

After the Uefa Cup Final in May 2007, Michel Platini, was very impressed and suggested to our First Minister that Scotland should Bid

The Commonwealth Games in Glasgow 2 years before would help in terms of revenue etc being put into further the preparations

As was seen in the past with bids, it is not always the countries like France, Italy and Spain that triumph in winning the race.

I'd love to see Scotland bid, but I want to see a credible Scotland bid that has a serious chance of winning. The biggest issue I would have is the stadia. Where are they going to be built and is there a long-term need for such large venues?

I would love to see Scotland hosting (I really love this country). However, I do agree with arwebb: would Scotland have enough stadia (or a need for stadium). I mean, which city could host besides Edinburgh, Glasgow and Aberdeen?

Maybe the solution for Scotland would be a joint bid with Wales.

I can think of five or six stadia at the very most, and that's assuming UEFA would allow them to use all three of Hampden Park, Celtic Park and Ibrox. A new stadium is being planned in Aberdeen and Hearts are looking seriously at expanding Tynecastle. After that, I think you'd be looking at a bigger stadium in Inverness and maybe a new stadium in somewhere like Dundee.

A more realistic option is a joint Scotland-Wales bid. If you expand to Hampden to 70,000+, as has been talked about very recently, Hampden can host the final, with Cardiff's Millennium Stadium getting the opening game and one of the semi-finals. Then add Murrayfield, Celtic Park and Aberdeen's new stadium from Scotland, plus Cardiff City's planned new ground, an expanded Liberty Stadium in Swansea and probably a rebuilt Racecourse Ground in Wrexham from Wales and you're away.

I'd love to see Scotland bid, but I want to see a credible Scotland bid that has a serious chance of winning. The biggest issue I would have is the stadia. Where are they going to be built and is there a long-term need for such large venues?

There are already 4 Stadia ready to use, Hampden, Celtic Park, Ibrox and Murrayfield

Other Stadia would be at Aberdeen, Dundee, Inverness, Hearts and Hibernian stadiums in Edinburgh. These would be refurbished (wich is needed) They could have temporary seating like what they plan to do with the London Olympic Stadium. This would increase the capacity fo the tournament but then reduce this to a reasonable size after

The opening Ceremony would be held in Edinburgh, with the final at Hampden in Glasgow

The other games would be split between all 5 cities

I understand that Hampden, Ibrox, Celtic Park and Murrayfield are already there, but I seem to recall that a perceived weakness of the 2008 bid was that all three of the Glasgow stadia were being put forward. I don't see that being any different now.

Also, given the sorts of gates that top flight games in Scotland tend to attract, I'm worried there isn't the need for much larger venues in places like Dundee and Inverness, whether you use temporary seating or not. As I said, I'd love to see it, but I do need to be convinced that it can be pulled off.

By the way, where would the Dundee stadium be? Would they expand either Tannadice or Dens Park, or build a new ground? If it's a new ground, will both Dundee clubs share it? From the pictures I've seen, there isn't exactly a lot of room to build between the two existing grounds.

There been talk for years about Dundee sharing the one ground. I think it would be a good idea, the city gets a new stadium and would help the bid.

As for your point about numbers or spectators, yes at most grounds they are low atm but during the tournament, with temporary seating they would be filled, due to fans from the competing nations decending on the country.

I do think that any Scottish would have to be almost perfect before being submitted as failure to win the tournament for the country would bring anger and a sense of wasting money.

We are capable of hosting Euro 2016, We can host it, but there is a lot of work to be done.

I agree that Scotland is capable of doing it and that a lot of work is needed. The one thing they can't afford is to have an ill conceived proposal like the 2008 bid was. They have to pick the right venues with the right legacy post tournament. Personally, I would suggest a joint bid with Wales is the safer option, but a proper solo bid is a better option. I would have to be convinced, particularly on the grounds to be used, that it can work.

• 2 weeks later...

Call me an arrogant french but i do think that after two strange euro in small stadium in austria and dangerous in ukraine and poland(i think they will do the job perfectly but still there is a risk)i think france has 2016 in the bag and would definetly win if the vote was today.

The french football team is doing great,there was a great spirit in the last big events organised well by the country(according to media and sport associations),Platini is the lead man of UEFA and France is a safe choice.

And if another big country with a goode footbal league does'nt enter the race i think it will be france 16

And it's looks like Germnay,Italy and Portugal won't take part for sure,England will foccused on 2018.I don't know maybe Spain?

for a eurocup, turkey can handle it easily ... just in istanbul we got 4 major stadiums

ataturk olympic 82000

fenerbahçe 55000

new planned galatasaray 55000

bjk inönü 40000

it wont be so difficult to make it while having 2010 world basketball champ.

Call me an arrogant french but i do think that after two strange euro in small stadium in austria and dangerous in ukraine and poland(i think they will do the job perfectly but still there is a risk)i think france has 2016 in the bag and would definetly win if the vote was today.

The french football team is doing great,there was a great spirit in the last big events organised well by the country(according to media and sport associations),Platini is the lead man of UEFA and France is a safe choice.

And if another big country with a goode footbal league does'nt enter the race i think it will be france 16

And it's looks like Germnay,Italy and Portugal won't take part for sure,England will foccused on 2018.I don't know maybe Spain?

u seem so sure that France would win the bidding process. here are a few points which go against ur views:

Spain lost out to Portugal for Euro 2004

Italy lost out to Poland/Ukraine for Euro 2012

Paris was unsuccessful in bidding for the Olympic Games three times

France has hosted world cup, rugby world cup, world athletics champs all within less than 20 years

Its too early to begin saying that ur country will definately win, and as history as proven smaller countries can pull it off

I think that France should concentrate on a Winter Olympic Games bid for 2018 or 2020

I think that France should concentrate on a Winter Olympic Games bid for 2018 or 2020

Even that would be foolhardy. In the last 40 years, France has already hosted two Winter Games making it one of only 5 countries that have been so honored twice: Austria, Canada, Japan, USA and France (OK for 50-60 years, add Italy and Norway). The 2024 Summer would seem optimal for France at this time.

Archived