Euro 2016

Ok 2012 is over, now lets move on to 2016.

My guess is that this could be a big smackdown between some heavey footballing powers

France, Germany and Spain should all like their chances, they have hosted 1984, 1988 and 1964 respectively, though Spain may take a run at England for 2018, but its unlikely since England hasn't hosted in a crap load of time.

Its unfortunate for Croatia because they have lost their only possible bidding partner, since they can't bid with Slovenia, Austria, Bosnia or Serbia, though Greece would be interesting, how wants a Croatia/Greece European Championships?

Turkey is also another potential host, along with Norway/Sweden.

I think that the bids will be

Germany

France

Norway/Sweden

Greece

Turkey

Croatia/Hungary

Scotland/Ireland

The finals will be Germany, France and Norway/Sweden and the winner will be France.

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeah, after two bidding seasons without the presence of the major footballing countries, 2016 might see bids from them (I already heard a rumour about France's application).

England is out of this EURO contention as they are playing in a 'higher league'. I have doubts about Spain: they'll only know if they get the Olympics, in mid 2009; whereas the EURO bidding process will start probably in late 2008/early 2009.

Anyway, any joint-bids are advised to rethink their chances: UEFA won't prize a bi-national bid for a third consecutive time, if it has better single bids.

England is out of this EURO contention as they are playing in a 'higher league'. I have doubts about Spain: they'll only know if they get the Olympics, in mid 2009; whereas the EURO bidding process will start probably in late 2008/early 2009.

Well, Spain or any other European country will certainly not get the 2016 Olympics in 2009. Two consecutive European Summer Olympics, that just won't happen.

To be honest, I can't see Germany bidding so soon after what was an outstanding World Cup last year. France and Spain would certainly be possibles, Spain probably more so after they lost out for 2004. I'm not sure about Greece having the venues, but Turkey should be a strong candidate.

Of the potential joint bidders listed, Scotland and Ireland would need some serious work on their 2008 plan. Croatia and Hungary would be real outsiders going on how they went in this vote. And couldn't the Scandinavian nations host individually? Besides which, if the big single nations bid, it's hard to see a joint bid getting close.

I think that the bids will be

Germany

France

Norway/Sweden

Greece

Turkey

Croatia/Hungary

Scotland/Ireland

The finals will be Germany, France and Norway/Sweden and the winner will be France.

I strongly expect Norway and Sweden to hand in a bid, too. And Scotland/Ireland, Turkey and Greece would also be my prediction. But I'm not sure about Germany. In case that we get the 2011 Women's World Cup this August, I don't expect Germany to place another bid for a major football tournament so quickly. I guess that the UEFA executives would think that we're greedy if we tried to get EURO 2016, too. We Germans are crazy about football -- but I think that even for us, it would be an overkill if we hosted a major tournament every five years. ;)

I think that Croatia/Hungary has got the death blow today. And France? I'm not so sure about that either. I'm actually expecting Norway and Sweden to win in 2010 or 2011. It's time for EURO to return to Northern Europe.

I wonder why Germany, France or Spain would bid for 2016 instead of their most likely intentions for 2018/2020 olympics.. or could they manage both?

btw I'd prefer Scandinavia for 2016 and Ireland/Scotland as second choice.

I see no reason why they couldn't, to be honest. Do you think Italy will try again?

No. At least not before to have removed the entire FIGC board.

anyway do you remember that France declined its intentions to bid for euro2012 in favour of Paris candidacy?

That's v. true, I'd forgotten that. Given that it's very unlikely the French will want to have another shot at the SOGs for a while I would be surprised if they didn't put themselves forward for the 2016 Euros.

- i think maybe italy could retry

- hope to see Ireland/Scotland in the finalist list

- i think spain is planning for WC

- why croatia can't bid with slovenia?

- russia would bid but with this choice today, it has no chances

- germany...don't think they'll plan this coz they are focusing on olympics

- france, could be.

Well, Spain or any other European country will certainly not get the 2016 Olympics in 2009. Two consecutive European Summer Olympics, that just won't happen.

Yes, that's what we all think. But I bet no one would put his/her hands on fire for it. That's why I emphasized that tight window of opportunity, 'cause I see Spain being luckier with a EURO bid than with an Olympic bid for 2016.

To be honest, I can't see Germany bidding so soon after what was an outstanding World Cup last year. France and Spain would certainly be possibles, Spain probably more so after they lost out for 2004. I'm not sure about Greece having the venues, but Turkey should be a strong candidate.
But I'm not sure about Germany. In case that we get the 2011 Women's World Cup this August, I don't expect Germany to place another bid for a major football tournament so quickly. I guess that the UEFA executives would think that we're greedy if we tried to get EURO 2016, too. We Germans are crazy about football -- but I think that even for us, it would be an overkill if we hosted a major tournament every five years. ;)

Why not Germany? 10 years would've passed by then... Germany could even host two Euro's :P

As for Greece, Panathinaikos is building its new 40,000-seat stadium (similar to EURO 2004's Dragão) so that might open up a renovating future for Greek stadiums, giving Greece a better chance than for 2008 and 2012.

Of the potential joint bidders listed, Scotland and Ireland would need some serious work on their 2008 plan. Croatia and Hungary would be real outsiders going on how they went in this vote. And couldn't the Scandinavian nations host individually? Besides which, if the big single nations bid, it's hard to see a joint bid getting close.

In fact, I believe Ireland/Scotland could actually be the only joint-bid to have real chances of being selected by UEFA, for a third consecutive bi-national championship. They have sufficient conditions and capacity to improve, great stadia and that football passion. Other similar bids, like the Scandinavian, probably won' get their chance in 2016, again.

I think that Croatia/Hungary has got the death blow today. And France? I'm not so sure about that either. I'm actually expecting Norway and Sweden to win in 2010 or 2011. It's time for EURO to return to Northern Europe.

Hungary will pass 2016, fed up of being rejected. Croatia alone? Can't see that...

That's v. true, I'd forgotten that. Given that it's very unlikely the French will want to have another shot at the SOGs for a while I would be surprised if they didn't put themselves forward for the 2016 Euros.

They'd be dumb otherwise. 2016 is an open way for a western, solo and non-Olympic bidder.

2016 will be choosen in 2011, so 2016 will be out of the picture and 2020 is looking like its Cape Town's to lose if they put forward a stronge bid, meaning that Paris should be hositng in 2024.

I would love to see most of the major footballing powers go for the 2016 Euro, I would prefer Germany obviously, especially after 2006, but I would like Spain as my second choice, than a Norway/Sweden bid.

Norway and Sweden would need each other to bid now, especially if the tournament goes up to 24 teams. Has there been a decision on that yet?

1. Germany

2. Spain

3. Norway/Sweden

4. Netherlands/Denmark

5. France

6. Italy

7. Hungary/Croatia

8. Croatia/Greece

9. Greece

10. Turkey

11. Russia

12. Ireland/Scotland ( I think there will be massive logistics problems like between Korea and Japan)

Norway and Sweden would need each other to bid now, especially if the tournament goes up to 24 teams. Has there been a decision on that yet?

Look here: http://www.earthtimes.org/articles/show/52897.html

I read somewhere else that it's quite probable that the EURO will be extended to 24 teams starting from 2016 since that increase was one of the election promises of Michel Platini.

Ooh, I forgot that 24-team possibility. That would have to raise the minimum number of stadiums to 10, no? It makes it even more difficult for smaller nations to bid by themselves. (Hmm, I suspect we might actually be seeing a lot of joint-bids from 2011 onwards... )

I wouldn't be surprised if Turkey and Azerbaijan ended up submitting a bid together for 2016.

Praise the God! Ahmet, is that you??? :blink: "Turkish Guy" + Augsburg + March 19, 1984 + Eurovision! :D

First the ESC and now the Olympics? MAN! I'm getting scared of how much our tastes are alike :P What else will I find from you (or where else will I find you?

I wouldn't be surprised if Turkey and Azerbaijan ended up submitting a bid together for 2016.

Now that would be the most idiot joint-bid anyone could think of. It's not like the Azeri appendix would help boost your bid :lol:

Praise the God! Ahmet, is that you??? :blink: "Turkish Guy" + Augsburg + March 19, 1984 + Eurovision! :D

First the ESC and now the Olympics? MAN! I'm getting scared of how much our tastes are alike :P What else will I find from you (or where else will I find you?

Now that would be the most idiot joint-bid anyone could think of. It's not like the Azeri appendix would help boost your bid :lol:

Guilty as charged! :P:D

Believe it or not, but I actually joined this forum in the beginning of 2001 before I made my way around to the Eurovision forum. Anyways, it's great to see here as well. B)

Regarding the possible duo-bid between Turkey and Azerbaijan - It's actually been rumored on several media sources that such a bid might be considered though of course, nothing has been confirmed by either the Azeri or Turkish football body leagues.

Spain is not interested in any UEFA Euro (a second class competition) or in a WC.

only in the 2016 SOG.

just speculations...

Madrid has no hope of winning in 2016, they are probably going to passed over for Berlin and Paris in the near future for the European hosted games. Germany last hosted in 1972 and France in 1924, Spain was in 1992, the IOC would be far more likely to give them games than a country where there is still a memory of a games being there.

Guilty as charged! :P:D

Believe it or not, but I actually joined this forum in the beginning of 2001 before I made my way around to the Eurovision forum. Anyways, it's great to see here as well. B)

Regarding the possible duo-bid between Turkey and Azerbaijan - It's actually been rumored on several media sources that such a bid might be considered though of course, nothing has been confirmed by either the Azeri or Turkish football body leagues.

Yeah! I've seen by your posts :P Hehe, now we'll have even more things to talk about. Probably even more in this forum than on the other ;)

I still consider it senseless: Baku with one venue and all other 9 stadiums in Turkey? 'Cause this is what's most likely :huh:

Spain is not interested in any UEFA Euro (a second class competition) or in a WC.

only in the 2016 SOG.

just speculations...

LOL... Keep saying that. You'll probably believe after a few times. ;)

Madrid has no hope of winning in 2016, they are probably going to passed over for Berlin and Paris in the near future for the European hosted games. Germany last hosted in 1972 and France in 1924, Spain was in 1992, the IOC would be far more likely to give them games than a country where there is still a memory of a games being there.

Whereas, Spain would be better suited for a football tournament, considering it's last was in 1982. France had in in 1998 and Germany just last year ;)

Archived