3 years ago today

tominger

Happy THIRD anniversary, SLC 2002! What a Winter Games the USA had then. Only 1 medal behind the Germans for first place in the overall Olympic medal tally. Makes you wonder how the American team will do next year.

Unbelievable.... three years ago... time is running...  :shocked:

Thans to Salt Lake for hosting these awesome games.

They were absolutly brilliant (unfortunatly I have lost both Ceremonies tapes... :cry: )

I am exited, what Torino will bring... only 366 days to go....

congrads SLC for putting on one of the best, or if not, the best Winter Olympics ever. these Games were my first Winter Games and so much happened including Canada's 3rd place in standings, the scandal with our skaters.......everything was simply just awesome. can't forget our gold hockey medal wins either. :)

congrads SLC for putting on one of the best, or if not, the best Winter Olympics ever. these Games were my first Winter Games and so much happened including Canada's 3rd place in standings, the scandal with our skaters.......everything was simply just awesome. can't forget our gold hockey medal wins either. :)

I thought Canada was in FOURTH place in the overall medals tally. I think Austria was ahead of us, but behind Germany and the USA.

As for Salt Lake City and its venues, how are they being used now?

I thought Canada was in FOURTH place in the overall medals tally. I think Austria was ahead of us, but behind Germany and the USA.

we were upgraded to 3rd since 2002.

every venue is being heavily used, no white elephants, especially the oval. though, the new LRT line isn't attracting enough passengers to be self-funding.

Wrong. Canada is still fourth in both gold medals AND overall medal tally. I just looked in the IOC website under the Salt Lake page and the medals tally. It says this:

1. Norway: 13 gold; 5 silver; 7 bronze (1st in gold; 3rd overall)

2. Germany: 12 gold; 16 silver; 8 bronze (2nd in gold; 1st overall)

3. USA: 10 gold; 13 silver; 11 bronze (3rd in gold; 2nd overall)

4. CANADA: 7 gold; 3 silver; 7 bronze (FOURTH in BOTH gold and overall)

By the way, it does include all the changes since those Games due to removing drug cheats and the like.

• 3 weeks later...

we were upgraded to 3rd since 2002.

every venue is being heavily used, no white elephants, especially the oval. though, the new LRT line isn't attracting enough passengers to be self-funding.

actually, that's not true. (I'm from SLC)

Light-rail line here is one of the best success stories in the american transportation world.  They only predicted 19,000 passengers/day to be using LRT when it opened in 2000, and look where we are today at 43,000 pax/day - far above expectations.  They're planning on doubling the size of the system in the next 10 years.

And unfortunately, while all the olympic venues are financially stable today, there are serious problems facing the Oval because public usage has been on a steady drop ever since the olympics finished.  They did turn the middle of the oval into a soccer field so that is helping a little.

BTW, if you're wondering what happened to the cauldron, they turned the south end of Rice-Eccles Olympic Stadium (Home of the BCS-Busting University of Utah, Go Utes!) into the Olympic Legacy Park.

uofu098.jpg

uofu099.jpg

• 9 months later...

Now that the Olympic Torch Relay is underway for Torino  2006, I bet some people from Salt Lake City are reminiscencing from this time 4 years ago about the 2002 Winter Olympics that was about to begin through its torch relay across the USA.

By the way, I think this has been mentioned before, but I'll post the link here:

The 2007 Deaflympic Winter Games In SLC

Now that the Olympic Torch Relay is underway for Torino  2006, I bet some people from Salt Lake City are reminiscencing from this time 4 years ago about the 2002 Winter Olympics that was about to begin through its torch relay across the USA.

By the way, I think this has been mentioned before, but I'll post the link here:

The 2007 Deaflympic Winter Games In SLC

Salt Lake for me personally was right up there with Los Angeles, Sydney and Calgary as the best Olympics I have ever witnessed.

There was a huge doubt as to whether they could be pulled off so soon after 9/11 and coupled with the bribery scandal and the problems Atlanta had, it appeared that they had the potential to develop into a failure.  But from the moment the President went down to greet Jacques Rogge and Mit Romney on the field and then opened the games amongst the athletes - almost as if he were saying to the terrorist "I am not afraid of you" - and then to have them go so smoothly, was just a great experience.  

I hope Torino is able to pull off an even better games than Salt Lake.  They certainly seem ready for it.

I do, however, feel bad for Vancouver.  They have the pressure of going one up on Calgary and Salt Lake City now.

Yeah. SLC was a blast, especially for the American performance there. It will be hard for the USA team to repeat that in Torino 2006, but stranger things has happened before.

• 1 month later...
With 2 days before the Torino 2006 Olympic Winter Games begin, let's not forget the SLC 2002 Winter Olympics which started 4 years ago TODAY. As of now, the Olympic athletes are now coming to Torino to prepare themselves for the ultimate test they have been waiting for since SLC 2002.

This thread was started in 2005 - someone just dug it up.

Anyway, Torino kind of started off as a scandal...most people thought Sion got robbed and the IOC dumped several other bids following their presentations.  The vote in 1999 was only for two cities, even though bids from Slovakia, Austria, Poland and Finland made presentations in Seoul.

Kind of funny that all the bids for 2006 were in Europe, but they made them fly all the way to Seoul to pitch their cases.  They could have met in the centre in Berlin.  Although I guess the same thing kind of happened for 2012.

But Torino's biggest problem has been a percieved lack of national excitement for the Games.  That may have disappeared now especially with only 2 days left.

• 11 months later...

As the American city is still in the middle of hosting the 2007 Winter Deaflympics, today is the FIFTH anniversary of the XIX Olympic Winter Games. The American team then went gung-ho and shattered their previous best showing in its Winter Olympics history. It showed how the American team can be a major challenge to other "winter powers" last year at Torino. It will be interesting, if they can continue with this trend north of the border in about 3 years time from now.

2002W_emblem_b.jpg

• 3 months later...

Speaking of Salt Lake City, the final report about recent North American hostings of the Winter Olympics is focused on the American city. This comes from the Vancouver 2010 official website and how it can learn the lessons from SLC's 2002 experience. Here are the links.

Link 1: Legacies Of North American Winter Games - Salt Lake

Link 2: Civic Pride, Unity, A Key Legacy For Salt Lake 2002 Winter Games

Link 3: A Detailed (in a .PDF file) 88-Page Report About Salt Lake City 2002

• 1 month later...
  • 10 months later...

Well, well, well. I do not know about some Canadians, but according to this CBC article, the Henderson goal against the former Soviet Union in the 1972 Summit Series was NOT the biggest moment in ice hockey history ever. It was considered #2. OUCH!!

That title goes to THE MIRACLE ON ICE TEAM of the 1980 Olympic Winter Games at Lake Placid, says the International Ice Hockey Federation. If I read my statistics right then, the Canadian team performed the worst ever in those Winter Olympics. I think it got clobbered big time and finished SIXTH then, after just the CANADIAN MEN'S ICE HOCKEY TEAM boycotted both the 1972 and 1976 Winter Olympics.

#3: The former Soviet Union's win over Canada in the very first game of the 1972 Summit Series in Montreal with the score of 7-3.

#4: The former Soviet Union's win over Canada in the 1954 gold medal game in Sweden at Gothenburg, by the score of 7-2.

#5: Contrary to the Czech Republic team's first Olympic gold medal at Nagano 1998, the IIHF chose the former Czechoslovakian team's gold medal win in the 1972 World Ice Hockey Championships as this number five choice ever. By the way, it was hosted in Prague (on home soil). Canada did not send a team to those past World Championships. Link: Wikipedia: The 1972 World Ice Hockey Championships In Former Czechoslovakia

Link 1: CBC: IIHF names 'Miracle on Ice' top hockey story of century

Link 2: YouTube: Miracle On Ice Team Lights Salt Lake City 2002 Olympic Cauldron

Archived