2007 Stanley Cup Playoffs

For all you hockey fans out there, who ya got?

Western Conference:

1:Detroit vs. 8:Calgary

2:Anaheim vs. 7: Minnesota

3:Vancouver vs. 6: Dallas

4:Nashville vs. 5:San Jose

Eastern Conference:

1: Buffalo vs. 8: New York Islanders

2: New Jersey vs. 7:Tampa Bay

3: Atlanta vs. 6: New York Rangers

4: Ottawa vs. 5: Pittsburgh

My predictions:

First round:

Detroit in 5

Anaheim in 6

Dallas in 6

Minnesota in 7

Buffalo in 4

New Jersey in 6

Atlanta in 5

Pittsburgh in 6

Conference Finals:

East: Buffalo vs. New Jersey

West: Detroit vs. Anaheim

2007 Stanley Cup Finals:

New Jersey Vs. Detroit

2007 Stanley Cup Champions

New Jersey Devils

Conn Smythe Winner: Martin Brodeur

Western Conference:

1:Detroit vs. 8:Calgary

2:Anaheim vs. 7: Minnesota

3:Vancouver vs. 6: Dallas

4:Nashville vs. 5:San Jose

Eastern Conference:

1: Buffalo vs. 8: New York Islanders

2: New Jersey vs. 7:Tampa Bay

3: Atlanta vs. 6: New York Rangers

4: Ottawa vs. 5: Pittsburgh

Eastern Conference:

Buffalo over New York Islanders in 5

New Jersey over Tampa Bay in 6

New York Rangers over Atlanta in 7

Ottawa over Pittsburgh in 5

Buffalo over New York Rangers in 6

Ottawa over New Jersey in 7

Eastern Conference Finals:

Ottawa over Buffalo in 6

Western Conference:

Detroit over Calgary in 6

Anaheim over Minnesota in 5

Vancouver over Dallas in 6

San Jose over Nashville in 7

Detroit over San Jose in 6

Vancouver over Anaheim in 7

Western Conference Finals

Detroit over Vancouver in 7

Stanley Cup Finals

Ottawa over Detroit in 6

Predictions mean nothing though. Every year there are a lot of surprise winners.

I do, and please don't tell me you're buying into the sportwriters/ESPN line of "Real Americans don't follow hockey or any other wussy foreign game.."

I am a real American, and I am a soccer fanatic, so, no, I don't subcribe to that theory.

I could really care less, my team is out, so the playoffs mean nothing.

Yeah my team is out too. I'm not sure if we are talking about the same team though. The Leafs are just a mess of mediocrity. The GM John Ferguson needs to be fired and a new GM needs to be brought in and clean house and start from scratch again. I'd rather miss the playoffs as one of the worst teams like Philadelphia and Chicago, get the high draft picks and build through free agency from there on then just nearly missing the playoffs as 9th in the conference. Hopefully, MapleLeaf Sports Entertainment (MLSE) learned a thing or two from their hiring of Brian Colangelo as GM of the Toronto Raptors. He cleaned house and built this new team from scratch and he brought this team from being one of the sh1ttiest teams in the NBA last season to one of the top teams in the Eastern Conference in only one season, winning their first division title in franchise history. That man is GOD in Raptorsland right now. The same mentality needs to be brought to the Leafs.

Yeah my team is out too. I'm not sure if we are talking about the same team though. The Leafs are just a mess of mediocrity. The GM John Ferguson needs to be fired and a new GM needs to be brought in and clean house and start from scratch again. I'd rather miss the playoffs as one of the worst teams like Philadelphia and Chicago, get the high draft picks and build through free agency from there on then just nearly missing the playoffs as 9th in the conference. Hopefully, MapleLeaf Sports Entertainment (MLSE) learned a thing or two from their hiring of Brian Colangelo as GM of the Toronto Raptors. He cleaned house and built this new team from scratch and he brought this team from being one of the sh1ttiest teams in the NBA last season to one of the top teams in the Eastern Conference in only one season, winning their first division title in franchise history. That man is GOD in Raptorsland right now. The same mentality needs to be brought to the Leafs.

My team is the Colorado Avalanche, its disappointing because they were so close and so much better than some of the teams that have got into the playoffs (Calgay, NYI, Tampa, NYR) and now hold the record for highest point total in league history to not make the playoffs. It will suck even more if Detriot plows through Calgary, when Colorado could have been there instead.

I mean there was a lot of positives to the seaon, Sakic's 100points, Brunette's play, Wolski, Statsny, Stavos, hopefully they can get two better defencemen to put around Liles. Budaj has also been playing amazingly and hopefully can continue his play. Also they have a lot of room with the cap now that a few contracts are gone and in another year Jose is gonna be gone, thank god.

Even though I live in Calgary, the team is not a great one this time. In fact, I wouldn't be surprised, if they lose to Detroit in the first round because they have serious weaknesses in their current line-up. Like, give me a break: got into the playoffs by another team helping the Flames. So, I'm not holding my breath over them.

Link: CBC: Cherry Sees Senators, Ducks In Cup Final

Anyone care about Ottawa's chances this time around? I think it is ridiculous that this team does well in regular play, but drops like a stone thrown into a lake in the playoffs. With talent like that in the past, one would think that it would have been, at least, in the Eastern Conference finals once in its latest history.

Even though I live in Calgary, the team is not a great one this time. In fact, I wouldn't be surprised, if they lose to Detroit in the first round because they have serious weaknesses in their current line-up. Like, give me a break: got into the playoffs by another team helping the Flames. So, I'm not holding my breath over them.

Link: CBC: Cherry Sees Senators, Ducks In Cup Final

Anyone care about Ottawa's chances this time around? I think it is ridiculous that this team does well in regular play, but drops like a stone thrown into a lake in the playoffs. With talent like that in the past, one would think that it would have been, at least, in the Eastern Conference finals once in its latest history.

Even though the Ottawa Senators are one of the main rivals of the Toronto Maple Leafs, I can say they will probably go far this time around. They've got to eventually win the Cup with such a talented lineup. It could possibly be this year.

Err, I cringe just thinking of the Leafs' past season.

But I see the Buffalo facing Pittsburgh in the Eastern Conference finals, and Anaheim facing San Jose in the West. I see strong leadership in Gary Roberts as he takes charge of the young Pens, but unfortunately Buffalo will remember all too well the sting of last year's conference final defeat to Carolina. In the West, San Jose will have Toskala and Nabokov compete against each other until they find their man between the pipes. Unfortunately, neither will suffice for Pronger and Niedermayer from the point.

East Conference Finals: Buffalo over Pittsburgh in 5

West Conference Finals: Anaheim over San Jose in 7

Stanley Cup Finals: Anaheim over Buffalo in 6

Playoff MVP: Hard to pick just one, but I'll go with Chris Pronger.

I mean there was a lot of positives to the seaon, Sakic's 100points,

That Sakic just shows no signs of slowing down, does he? 2nd place on the all-time points list isn't even out of the question for Burnaby Joe. 3rd place, edging past Gordie Howe, is almost a certainty. Of course, he has to stay far enough ahead of Jagr as well.

Even though the Ottawa Senators are one of the main rivals of the Toronto Maple Leafs, I can say they will probably go far this time around. They've got to eventually win the Cup with such a talented lineup. It could possibly be this year.

Being the only Canadian Eastern Conference team in the playoffs, they better play well. It is also getting ridiculous that, when this team was playing the way they did in recent years, teams in the same conference like Tampa Bay and Carolina are winning the big prize. What's next this time: a Nashville vs Atlanta final? That scenario wouldn't be so farfetched, if history seems to be playing out so far.

Update:

New York Islanders 3 Buffalo 2

Series tied 1-1

Tampa Bay 3 New Jersey 2

Series tied 1-1

New York Rangers 2 Atlanta 1

New York Rangers lead series 2-0

Ottawa 4 Pittsburgh 2

Ottawa leads series 2-1

Detroit 3 Calgary 1

Detroit leads series 2-0

Anaheim 2 Minnesota 1

Anaheim leads series 3-0

Vancouver 2 Dallas 1 in OT

Vancouver leads series 2-1

Nashville 5 San Jose 2

Series tied 1-1

Not a surprise that the Calgary Flames are out again in the first round. In fact, a feud could be brewing between the coach and the veteran players right now. There's now talk that either the coach goes or Iginla and other such players could be traded afterward. To Flames fans here, it is such a gloomy day for them. For me, who cares. I knew that they wouldn't go far.

Well, one Canadian team down and two to go.

• 1 month later...

My heart says Ottawa but the head says it's Anaheim's time. The Sens are an awesome team but they have yet to face a team as physical as the Quackers are. The Ducks also have the advantage of having been here before, losing in Game 7 of the 2003 Finals to the New Jersey Devils-and Chris Pronger was here last year with the Oilers when they lost in 7 to the Carolina Hurricanes-and Jean Sebastian Giguere and Ilya Brizgalov are far better than Ray Emery.

Anaheim to win in 5, JS Giguere to win the Conn Smythe Trophy.

Archived