Asian Games 2018 !

Something from my spec logos archives, modified a bit:

hiroshima-manille2020speculative.jpg

LOL!! I luv it, vito!!

That about says it all!!

Now, why do I have a gut feeling that both of you have cruel sense of humor?

Well, since you opened that topic, I actually have a logo design in mind that would probably make Uncle Walt rise from the grave to hire me. :) Now seriously.

Since this is going to be a fusion of culture, I am thinking that they could make good use of blending the mask used in the masskara festival of the Philippines and the noh mask of japan. The plumage of the mask would be Japan's rising sun superimposed in the Philippines' eight-rayed sun. The face of the mask would be divided into to: the right side would be a feminine side that would represent the noh, with the face entirely white with cheek red, and the smile a little conceited (sorry, can't seem to find the right adjective to describe a lady's smile :( ). Meanwhile, the right side would be a male's face, similar to that of the 2005 SEA Games, only that it would be painted with blue, yellow and red bars, with the Olympic rings painted on the cheek. Beneath the mask is, of course, the phrase "Hiroshima-Manila" or "Manila-Hiroshima" whichever they prefer with the year "2020" :) Now, how's that for a design? (Lucky for you guys, I don't have the right software installed in my desktop right now).

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply
No offence to the pinoys out there but I doubt Manila can host as long as Arroyo is president.

It's not even that. They (Enoch) keep(s) advancing this whole joint-bid idea WITHOUT I am sure getting any input, let alone an endorsed agreement, from their supposed 'partners, the Japanese.' I mean I love all this 'wishful thinking' bit but you can only carry it so far to a certain stage.

As for Arroyo -- yeah, it probably wouldn't happen during the last 2 years of her tenure because she is FAR more level-headed than previous Philippine chief executives. SHe is also the most educated (either having a Masters or a PhD, I forget which one, in Economics) and the FIRST Philippine president in like the last 50 years of the Republic who was able to turn around the value of the Philippine currency, the peso, to a stronger position vis-a-vis the dollar.

When Arroyo's father was the President in 1961-65, the peso was around 2.75-to-1 to the dollar. When the Marcoses took over -- of course, with Imelda's profligate spending and her husband and her relatives salting away all the stolen loot abroad over an unprecedented 21 years, the parity zoomed up to about what it is today (roughly 40-to-1). And then the succeeding administrations (Aquino, Ramos, Estrada) after the Big-time Robber Thugs could not stem the tide of the impossible sinking peso. When I visited in 2004 (just before they trounced the drunken, whoring Estrada), the exchange was at a very favorable 53-to-1 for my dollars. And today (3 years later), the Arroyo administration has been able to bring down that exchange to around 40-to-1.

I sure hope somebody as qualified as Ms. Arroyo succeeds her. But you never know with those Filipinos; sometimes they can be just as dumb as their American counterparts in selecting their next chief of state. :lol:

totally agree,

she will not be in a good position to bid for the games since she and her successor will not be the ones who will open the games in 2018. if any hope still springs for manila 2018 its that a separate body organize the effort.

asian games does not belong to the realm of wishful thinking, the race for 2018 is still far away. i have doubts if the philippines will indeed bid.

beleive it or not, i am rooting also for cebu to bid should they want to take the initiative. manila being the capital is far too muddled with so much troubles to even successfully bid.

i would like to trace when the hell hiroshima came to the picture?

i have strong doubts that even if japan wold put forth a bid that they would not use the same city which hosted it the last time (Hiroshima 1994).

i think what the OCA should ought to think about is the regional rotation of the Asiad. the continent is so vast that it is subdivided already, why not use that geographical dynamics to encourage diversity in hosting reins. It took decades before the Asiad came back t the middle east while east asia has hosted and will host the games in succession (Beijing1991 and Hiroshima 1994 ; Guangzhou2010 and Incheon2014).

Southeast Asia has a number of cities able to host the games, even if manila backs out i do hope another SEA city wins, singapore or hanoi or KL, its time Thailand take a backseat from hosting for the time being.

Now, now. No need to be bitchy. Of course, I meant (w/o any disrespect for what really happened to them) the real 'comfort women' who were drafted into that deplorable role by the Imperial Japanese forces. How else would the joint (your) Ceremonies have any ring of authenticity to them?

And what would the baron do with the testimonies of the comfort grannies? Have them reenact the whole thing?

i have strong doubts that even if japan wold put forth a bid that they would not use the same city which hosted it the last time (Hiroshima 1994).

i think what the OCA should ought to think about is the regional rotation of the Asiad. the continent is so vast that it is subdivided already, why not use that geographical dynamics to encourage diversity in hosting reins. It took decades before the Asiad came back t the middle east while east asia has hosted and will host the games in succession (Beijing1991 and Hiroshima 1994 ; Guangzhou2010 and Incheon2014).

Southeast Asia has a number of cities able to host the games, even if manila backs out i do hope another SEA city wins, singapore or hanoi or KL, its time Thailand take a backseat from hosting for the time being.

You can't have it that way in Asia because a lot of the countries are still developing without any bright prospects of economic advancement.

It's not even that. They (Enoch) keep(s) advancing this whole joint-bid idea WITHOUT I am sure getting any input, let alone an endorsed agreement, from their supposed 'partners, the Japanese.' I mean I love all this 'wishful thinking' bit but you can only carry it so far to a certain stage.

As for Arroyo -- yeah, it probably wouldn't happen during the last 2 years of her tenure because she is FAR more level-headed than previous Philippine chief executives. SHe is also the most educated (either having a Masters or a PhD, I forget which one, in Economics) and the FIRST Philippine president in like the last 50 years of the Republic who was able to turn around the value of the Philippine currency, the peso, to a stronger position vis-a-vis the dollar.

When Arroyo's father was the President in 1961-65, the peso was around 2.75-to-1 to the dollar. When the Marcoses took over -- of course, with Imelda's profligate spending and her husband and her relatives salting away all the stolen loot abroad over an unprecedented 21 years, the parity zoomed up to about what it is today (roughly 40-to-1). And then the succeeding administrations (Aquino, Ramos, Estrada) after the Big-time Robber Thugs could not stem the tide of the impossible sinking peso. When I visited in 2004 (just before they trounced the drunken, whoring Estrada), the exchange was at a very favorable 53-to-1 for my dollars. And today (3 years later), the Arroyo administration has been able to bring down that exchange to around 40-to-1.

I sure hope somebody as qualified as Ms. Arroyo succeeds her. But you never know with those Filipinos; sometimes they can be just as dumb as their American counterparts in selecting their next chief of state. :lol:

It wouldn't happen during her tenure. She is ending her term in 2010 and the bid for the 2020 Games is in 2011. Do not worry, the candidates for the 2010 presidential derby are far qualified than Mrs. Arroyo, not to mention that they have far more chareisma than her.

Hmm... I bet you don't have an economics background baron. The strength of the economy is not measured on the value of the currency. Look at Japan's Yen. It is one of the lowest valued currency vis-a-vis the dollar but they have an industrialized economy (being a member of the G8). In fact, a lot of Filipino overseas are appealing to the government to slow down the appreciation of the peso because their purchasing power is weakening, and their remittances are slowly becoming worthless as the days go by with the US economic recession looming around. I hope I made a point. Macroeconomics is one of my favorite subjects.

The IOC wills to rotate the Summer Olympics to the other regions of the world where the Olympics is not yet held: South America, Africa, South Asia, Southeast Asia and the Middle East. Most likely it will be Rio in South America, Cape Town in Africa, New Delhi in South Asia, and Doha in the Middle East. In the Asean region, at least three expressed interest in hosting the summer olympics: Kuala Lumpur, Manila and Bangkok. This means that the bidding will be a race between these cities in the future (which means that it will come to which will be ready first). If you would ask me, I like it to be held in Manila because I think it is the most capable to host it in the region.

As for the Asian Games, Guangzhou, did you know, won unopposed since Kuala Lumpur backed out from the race for lack of funding. Incheon won because they proposed a bigger amount of aid to countries without a medal yet in the Asiad. There are actually limited cities in Asia ready to host it. My point is, when will Manila prepare itself in hosting big international sporting events? And what is wrong if it tries? And what is totally grotesque with Manila partnering with Hiroshima? I think the Philippines will be far leveraged and most likely to win the Olympics if it will partner itself with a city that has a temperate climate and the money to spend for it. But it is not going to be as if Manila would be worthless with the whole partnership as some of you suggest: we are sharing our culture in the ceremonies, which i think will attract the IOC for its Eastern and Western mix, the famed Filipino hospitality will be a plus, etc. I mean, do you guys think the Japanese are stupid enough to enter into such an agreement without analyzing first the pros and cons? And the bidding in the Olympics is not like a one shot deal. It requires several attempts and several improvements... and I think theat the present move of the POC is sensible and very feasible.

totally agree,

she will not be in a good position to bid for the games since she and her successor will not be the ones who will open the games in 2018. if any hope still springs for manila 2018 its that a separate body organize the effort.

asian games does not belong to the realm of wishful thinking, the race for 2018 is still far away. i have doubts if the philippines will indeed bid.

beleive it or not, i am rooting also for cebu to bid should they want to take the initiative. manila being the capital is far too muddled with so much troubles to even successfully bid.

Cebu wil be inferior if several capital cities will crowd the derby. We are putting up Manila because it is our largest and best city: center of commerce, culture, government, health care, education, government institutions, etc. As for the government changing, remember that the NOCs put up the bid, not the government. The government is only a supporter of the bid, and the NOC is not part of the government bureaucracy, so I think it will not be a problem whoever sits in the MalacaƱang. And if ever Manila wins the 2018 Asian Games, the President to be elected in 2010 will not have the honors of opening it, for his term will end in 2016 and the constitution forbids any reelection. :)

But it is not going to be as if Manila would be worthless with the whole partnership as some of you suggest: we are sharing our culture in the ceremonies, which i think will attract the IOC for its Eastern and Western mix, the famed Filipino hospitality will be a plus, etc. I mean, do you guys think the Japanese are stupid enough to enter into such an agreement without analyzing first the pros and cons? And the bidding in the Olympics is not like a one shot deal. It requires several attempts and several improvements... and I think theat the present move of the POC is sensible and very feasible.

But you still HAVEN'T truly answered the following questions:

#1 - Has the city of Hiroshima AND the JOC given any sort of OK to this joint scheme (of yours)?

#2 - Why should the IOC look at joint bids if there is no paucity of completely viable single-city bids? The IOC Charter is very specific in stating that it is awarded to a single (CORE) city and that at the Opening Ceremony, the host city/nation is allowed/encouraged to showcase its culture. I don't think that will change anytime soon.

#3 - Don't you think the IOC and FIFA have shared info re the problems FIFA encountered while splitting the 2002 World Cup to Korea and Japan (which FIFA admitted was purely an experiment)?

You've been informed by everyone here who have been watching the Olympic scene for over a decade (and some who have actually had contact with the IOC) that a JOINT bid, especially for the Summer Games, is really a no-go at the present, yet you persist... :rolleyes:

I KNOW that present administrations will NOT necessarily have the honors to 'open' an event that'll happen 7-8 years down the line.

#1 - Has the city of Hiroshima AND the JOC given any sort of OK to this joint scheme (of yours)?

#2 - Why should the IOC look at joint bids if there is no paucity of completely viable single-city bids? The IOC Charter is very specific in stating that it is awarded to a single (CORE) city and that at the Opening Ceremony, the host city/nation is allowed/encouraged to showcase its culture. I don't think that will change anytime soon.

#3 - Don't you think the IOC and FIFA have shared info re the problems FIFA encountered while splitting the 2002 World Cup to Korea and Japan (which FIFA admitted was purely an experiment)?

You've been informed by everyone here who have been watching the Olympic scene for over a decade (and some who have actually had contact with the IOC) that a JOINT bid, especially for the Summer Games, is really a no-go at the present, yet you persist... :rolleyes:

I KNOW that present administrations will NOT necessarily have the honors to 'open' an event that'll happen 7-8 years down the line.

I have already stated my case regarding this points, baron. You are arguing in circles. And why are you so hard in this potential bid, are you afraid that it might actually work? :unsure:

I have already stated my case regarding this points, baron. You are arguing in circles. And why are you so hard in this potential bid, are you afraid that it might actually work? :unsure:

No; not really. It's just you've been quite evasive and I wanted to give you the benefit of the doubt. It's just that we would put this kind of 'bid' in the fantasy Games section.

But I guess that answers my questions. ;)

But OK... to answer your very probing questions:

#1. I'm not privy with the agreement between the POC and JOC, but I'm quite sure that there is one. As I have argued before, your royal lowness the baron, I have based my "speculations" from the internet. The fact that our main thrust of this speculative bid came from the website of the Philippine Amateur Swimming Association is pretty reliable.

#2. This is for the 13th Olympic Congress to decide. (Are you not listening to me baron, or do you always play stupid? :))

#3. There is a clear chance regarding this "exchange of information" between the Fifa and IOC. But as I have stated before, the hosting of Fifa and the hosting of the Olympics are apples and oranges.

No; not really. It's just you've been quite evasive and I wanted to give you the benefit of the doubt. It's just that we would put this kind of 'bid' in the fantasy Games section.

But I guess that answers my questions. ;)

If you will not accede to my reasoning, I'll start sending sending comfort grannies in your doorstep to bribe you. :lol:

#2. This is for the 13th Olympic Congress to decide. (Are you not listening to me baron, or do you always play stupid?

They may/they may not cover the subject at length -- as jeremie had said. What's to dicuss? U r the one extrapolating that they will bring it up to suit your strategem.

Uhmm.... as for playing stupid, I don't think I'm the one who's well-versed at playing that. :rolleyes:

If you will not accede to my reasoning, I'll start sending sending comfort grannies in your doorstep to bribe you. :lol:

OK, I got my answers as I said.

Now, what are 'comfort grannies'? Of course, you can send those c/o the Chateau de Vidy in Lausanne. ;)

They may/they may not cover the subject at length -- as jeremie had said. What's to dicuss? U r the one extrapolating that they will bring it up to suit your strategem.

Uhmm.... as for playing stupid, I don't think I'm the one who's well-versed at playing that. :rolleyes:

OK, I got my answers as I said.

Now, what are 'comfort grannies'? Of course, you can send those c/o the Chateau de Vidy in Lausanne. ;)

Well, you are the one opening the topic regarding the "confort women". But they are not actually women in this present day, they are now grannies. :) Now would you like me to pursue with the plan? :P

Uhmm.... as for playing stupid, I don't think I'm the one who's well-versed at playing that.

Do you think the delegates of Japan and the Philippines are not going to argue with me? (Hmm.. I hope Mr. Elizalde is reading this :))

You've been informed by everyone here who have been watching the Olympic scene for over a decade (and some who have actually had contact with the IOC) that a JOINT bid, especially for the Summer Games, is really a no-go at the present, yet you persist...

I have not seen the past bi-nation bids so I will save my breath regarding the matter. I think if the bid committe is persuasive enough, it might have the chance of actually being considered by the IOC. Plain and simple thinking, baron. :)

Baron, how do you edit posts here? And do you have a clue as to which cities expressed interest in hosting the 2011 IOC Session?

Edit, I understand, is a feature available to Premium Members.

No, I have no idea who the 2011 IOC Session candidates are but they usually include the defeated ones of the previous session (Cairo, Singapore). Since that is the session to pick the 2018 WOG (right now, it seems to be PC and a host of Euro cities), then it might be a non-participating continent. Since the last one was in Guatemala (then 2009 in Copenhagen), 2011 might be Oceania, Africa (or South America).

It would actually be a good oppty for Capetown, especially after they stage a brilliant 2010 World Cup. The IOC site may also give a clue as to who might be in the running.

Edit, I understand, is a feature available to Premium Members.

No, I have no idea who the 2011 IOC Session candidates are but they usually include the defeated ones of the previous session (Cairo, Singapore). Since that is the session to pick the 2018 WOG (right now, it seems to be PC and a host of Euro cities), then it might be a non-participating continent. Since the last one was in Guatemala (then 2009 in Copenhagen), 2011 might be Oceania, Africa (or South America).

It would actually be a good oppty for Capetown, especially after they stage a brilliant 2010 World Cup. The IOC site may also give a clue as to who might be in the running.

Hong Kong and Algiers have expressed interest as well.
One point vs. Hong Kong is that PC will be a candidate; Algiers, closer to Europe but will have security concerns. If I were to pick the place, I'd go with Auckland or an Auz city.

Yep. I think an african or a city from oceania is a sensible choice.

Durban and Copenhagen were competing against Guatemala for the 2007 IOC Session. Since Copenhagen got 2009, I wouldn't be surprised to see Durban (or another South-African city).

The 2011 Host City should be elected during the IOC Session in Beijing later this year.

Archived