Asian Games 2018 !

Durban and Copenhagen were competing against Guatemala for the 2007 IOC Session. Since Copenhagen got 2009, I wouldn't be surprised to see Durban (or another South-African city).

The 2011 Host City should be elected during the IOC Session in Beijing later this year.

Who are the candidates for this contest?

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply
You can't have it that way in Asia because a lot of the countries are still developing without any bright prospects of economic advancement.

really?

yes developing but, i find it hard to beleive that each of the regions in Asia cannot put forth at least one city capable of hosting the Asiad.

let's see:

Middle East - there's a ton of them itching to host after Doha's success in 2006.

South Asia - New Delhi (or other Indian cities) are willing hosts as seen in their failed 2014 bid. And Sri Lanka have been floated as a possible 2018 contender right?

East Asia - hell they should give themselves a rest first, they have hosted a lot in recent memory.

SE Asia - eleven member nations, a majority of them have already hosted the SEAG, take your pick. yes, not so much financial wealth but stirs up excitement nonetheless.

Eurasia -Kazahkstan seems to re-awakening again no matter what Borat says, maybe they could but forth Astana instead of Almaty. Baku is gunning for the SOG, long shot I must admit but that shows willingness.

Now with that, have them in a rotation and there you ahve a diversified schedule for the Asiad.

btw enoch,

the vids of the opening of the 2005 seag has just been uploaded on youtube. fresh - just barely a week old.

and also, love the signature, was that for the volunteering campaign or during the event itself. i understand the youthcom handled the volunteers right?

really?

yes developing but, i find it hard to beleive that each of the regions in Asia cannot put forth at least one city capable of hosting the Asiad.

let's see:

Middle East - there's a ton of them itching to host after Doha's success in 2006.

South Asia - New Delhi (or other Indian cities) are willing hosts as seen in their failed 2014 bid. And Sri Lanka have been floated as a possible 2018 contender right?

East Asia - hell they should give themselves a rest first, they have hosted a lot in recent memory.

SE Asia - eleven member nations, a majority of them have already hosted the SEAG, take your pick. yes, not so much financial wealth but stirs up excitement nonetheless.

Eurasia -Kazahkstan seems to re-awakening again no matter what Borat says, maybe they could but forth Astana instead of Almaty. Baku is gunning for the SOG, long shot I must admit but that shows willingness.

The problem dude is funding. That's all. There is no argument of their capability to host in other aspects. Asean is seen as a major economic gainer in the region, yet, some of its member nations are having a hard time putting up a bid. But let's see, it could be different in the future.

Now with that, have them in a rotation and there you ahve a diversified schedule for the Asiad.

btw enoch,

the vids of the opening of the 2005 seag has just been uploaded on youtube. fresh - just barely a week old.

and also, love the signature, was that for the volunteering campaign or during the event itself. i understand the youthcom handled the volunteers right?

Thank you. Yep, it's for the volunteers. :D

really?

let's see:

The main problem dude is the financing. There is no question of their capabilities to host the games in other aspects. Asean is seen as a major economic gainer in the region, yet, its member countries are still having a hard putting up a bid. But let's see, it might be different in the near future.

yep, i get it, your point is financing, but don't tell me that none of those regions has at least one city financially capable of being host, remember, its only the asian games.

even if doha had a stelar showing, the level is stil a few notches below from being an olympic level preparation.

if finances is to be followed here, then maybe vietnam, manila, and colombo should simply just give way to singapore as early as now.

yep, i get it, your point is financing, but don't tell me that none of those regions has at least one city financially capable of being host, remember, its only the asian games.

even if doha had a stelar showing, the level is stil a few notches below from being an olympic level preparation.

if finances is to be followed here, then maybe vietnam, manila, and colombo should simply just give way to singapore as early as now.

I don't think so. While financing is one thing, the whole package must be enticing to merit the OCA's nod. We haven't seen their bids yet, so there's no telling that they are actually--uhm, well--short of cash.

Let's see for further development, then let's opine from there.

• 5 months later...
Wikipedia reported three more candidates for the 2018 Asian Games: Jakarta, Singapore, and Dubai.

Jakarta ??? Hmmm... I never heard that Jakarta want to host the games in 2018 ... We have a lot of problem to be fixed, so I think Jakarta main focus is to fixed all of the problem in Jakarta first, before they want to become candidate city for Asian games, Jakarta have a bad transportation system, we have monorail problem, waterway problem, transjakarta problem, subway problem.... after that we also have heavy air pollution problem... traffic jam... flood... etc etc

That makes 5 different possible candidate cities for the 2018 Asian Games, according to the same Wikipedia entry.

Jakarta ??? Hmmm... I never heard that Jakarta want to host the games in 2018 ... We have a lot of problem to be fixed, so I think Jakarta main focus is to fixed all of the problem in Jakarta first, before they want to become candidate city for Asian games, Jakarta have a bad transportation system, we have monorail problem, waterway problem, transjakarta problem, subway problem.... after that we also have heavy air pollution problem... traffic jam... flood... etc etc

But Jakarta already hosted the Asian Games in 1962. The Bung Karno stadium was built for the occasion.

But Jakarta already hosted the Asian Games in 1962. The Bung Karno stadium was built for the occasion.

Yup Jakarta hosted the 1962 games. But the condition at that time is different with the condition at this time, at that time, the president of Indonesia was Soekarno, he want Indonesia become a superpower country, because of that, he makes a lot of white elephant project, like The Bung Karno stadium (used for Asian games 1962, and the ganefo games), national monument, etc etc, at that time, although Indonesia is a young country, but Indonesia one of the leader in Non-Block Organization... But present time Indonesia is a waek country with a very lot of problem, and I think the goverment here want to focus to improvising social life, economic, and others than the sport. FYI this week Indonesia have national sport week (a competition like olympic but with a very minimum scale, where all of the provinces in Indonesia take a part) in Kalimantan Timur (East Borneo) and... the bad news is until now (about 5 days before the opening day) there are a lot of problem, including the venues, the transportation, the accomodation, etc... so if to hosted a national sport week Indonesia has a very lot of problem how could Indonesia host an Asian games ????? although 2018 is about 10 years to go but i don't believe that Indonesia will be ready at time :)

too many corea host cities.

and well, for the 2018 I'd like to see the Asiad in an exotic place like hanoi or jakarta. dubai? no thanks, ugly city.

Tatsh have you ever been in Jakarta ? Jakarta for me isn't exotic place, a very heavy traffic jam everywhere.... :(, heavy air pollution... :(, pirated things everywhere.. from software to fashion.... very pollutan river... etc etc. so for me better to make up the city first, make the city clean... finish the monorail and subway project... solve the traffic jam problem etc tec, after all of that problem fix up, maybe we can try to bid the Asiad or even the SOG ? :P

• 2 weeks later...

Vietnam will host at some point. The country has modeled their economy similar to that of China and has experienced an impressive growth. If Vietnam is going to bid for an Asian Games, I think they'd b e better off going with Ho Chi Minh City instead of Hanoi. I have been to both cities and HCM is by far more modernized than Hanoi. Of course, almost all the venues would have to be built from scratch, but I have no doubt it could be done. If Vietnam succeeds in their bid, don't be surprised to see a run for the Olympics sometime in the 2020s. Not saying Vietnam would win, but they'd have a good foundation in place.

Latest news... :)

Last night in East borneo during the closing ceremony of Indonesia's sport week, East Borneo made a statement that they want to host Asian Games 2018, they said that they proud with their water sport facilities, they also have a very good 2 football stadium, and they still building another one, they also have an excellent shooting range(They said that this shooting range is best 4 in Asia level :) ), the KOI (Indonesia Olympic Commitee) also support the idea, she said that East Borneo already built a very good sport facilities, and that will be very wasteful if they don't use that facilities for International events. The last Indonesia's sport weeks held in East Borneo province since 2 weeks ago, it host by 4 cities.

• 1 year later...

Seems the Games have had the date changed to 2019 as Kuala Lumpar signals its intension to bid.

Malaysia To Bid For 2019 Asian Games

KUALA LUMPUR, Aug 7 (Bernama) -- Malaysia will bid to host the 2019 Asian Games.

This was announced by Youth and Sports Minister Datuk Ahmad Shabery Cheek who said his ministry would inform the Cabinet about this to get its approval for the bid.

"Malaysia has the experience to host world-class games like when we hosted the Commonwealth Games in 1998. I believe with that experience Malaysia can host the Asian Games," he told reporters here Friday.

Ahmad Shabery said this after attending the officiating of the Malaysian Sports Industry Convention 2009 which was done by Prime Minister Datuk Seri Najib Tun Razak here Friday.

He said the various international standard sports facilities at the Bukit Jalil Sports Complex will also be a basis for the bid process.

Ahmad Shabery said the Asian Games were more prestigious than the Commonwealth Games.

He hoped that all quarters would come together and cooperate with the government to ensure that Malaysia won the bid to bring the games to Kuala Lumpur.

The 2010 Asian Games will be held in Guangzhou, China and the 2014 games in Incheon, South Korea.

On another development, Ahmad Shabery said the area around the National Sports Complex in Bukit Jalil will be developed into a one-stop centre for all sports activities including having stores that sold sports equipment.

"The ministry has appointed a consultant to study the proposal to make the sports complex area a sports city," he said.

-- BERNAMA

Jim jones

Archived