Asian Games 2018 !

Can vietnam host it.

Or will phillipines? o.0

I really want vietnam tooh host it.

It will tell people how vietnam changed in the past few years.

Theres a website about it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2018_asian_games

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Can vietnam host it.

Or will phillipines? o.0

I really want vietnam tooh host it.

It will tell people how vietnam changed in the past few years.

Theres a website about it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2018_asian_games

First of all check your grammar and spell checking ok?

Tell people how Vietnam has changed in the past few years? (are you confusing Vietnam with China? :blink: ) Sure Vietnam has changed, but not to a real great extent. Ah but then again this is a mere Asian Games they're aiming for, not an Olympics.

Website about it? It's Wikipedia! There's been no official websites regarding each nations' intentions to host, just some small news links here and there.

When it actually comes down to who can host the Asian games, sure Vietnam can host it first using an upgraded My Dinh Stadium in Hanoi, as compared to Manila, which would most certainly need to build a new more higher capacity modern stadium (Well they need to nonetheless) I prefer Manila to host, as it would provide them with the invaluable experience necessary and infrastructure for a potential Olympic bid.

In conclusion, Vietnam can host it with Hanoi as the host city, though I'd prefer Manila. B)

I hope it's Vietnam. Lord David, I vehemently disagree with you. For reasons already posted on another thread, I don't think it's good for the Philippines to host anything larger than that ASEAN Games. (And even then, they had to farm out some events to, was it Cebu or Bacolod?)

As the saying goes: I wouldn't wish it on my worst enemy (or actually, I would!).

• 4 weeks later...

Venues for Manila:

Rizal Mmorial Sports Complex-30000

Rizal Memorial Coliseum-8000

Rizal Memorial Baseball Stadium

Ninoy Aquino Stadium-12500

Rizal Memorial Swimming Centre

Cuneta Astrodome-16500

Makati Coliseum

PhilSports Arena-10000

PBA Coliseum

NOTE: Manila needs a large stadium to host the games.

Venues for Hanoi:

My Dinh Stadium-40000

San Hanoi Stadium-20000

NOTE: Hanoi has no indoor stadiums or gymnasiums, so they need to build some soon.

• 4 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I think if thailand biding asiangames

thailand is the winner

because now thailand have a programe biding asiangames 2018

chiang mai thailand

chiang mai asiangames 2018

i cheer thailand because thailand have a lot of experience because thailand ever make forth asiangames inthailand

and very important this years 2007 thailand make the universiade 2007 bangkok games

thailand have a lot of experience

i think thailand is very perfect country to make asiangames 2018

chiang mai games 2018 Thailand

Venues for Manila:

Cuneta Astrodome-16500

Makati Coliseum

PhilSports Arena-10000

PBA Coliseum

No. What Manila needs is a good public transportation system to link these scattered existing venues.

I don't think it's good for the Philippines to host anything larger than that ASEAN Games. (And even then, they had to farm out some events to, was it Cebu or Bacolod?)

I agree. Sports isn't really that big here if you really think about it. If Manila gets to host an SOG (harharhar), the stadia would all end up as concert and worship venues.

During the 2005 SEA Games, it didn't feel as if something big was happening in the country. The venues were way too scattered. It wasn't really successful because of the logistical problems, poor exposure and weak public support.

And what about the (parade disguised as a) opening ceremony that Wiki describes as "attended by a record-breaking 200,000 spectators" and "highlighted Filipino talent and ingenuity [because] the light and sound equipment, stage components and even the fireworks were all Philippine-made"? Hah.

I sense that a later post in this thread will accuse me of cynicism and unpatriotism.

With the war against the Tamil Tigers terrorist group and the present situation at Sri Lanka, i doubt that Colombo won the games. My personal favourite is Philipines, they have hosted a lot of SEA Games in the previous years, and i think that gives them much experience. But they need to built a big and modern stadium for that games.

Hanoi could have a chance too, since they got also much experience (they hosted the 2003 SEA Games).

• 3 months later...
Venues for Manila:

Cuneta Astrodome-16500

Makati Coliseum

PhilSports Arena-10000

PBA Coliseum

Manila is seriously considering to bid for the 2018 Asian Games. In fact, they are planning to build a world-class stadium in the Pasay Reclamation Area (beside the bay) to upgrade existing sports facilities. If Manila wins the 2018 Asian Games, this is also seen as a preparatory move for a 2020 Olympic bid together with the Japanese city of Hiroshima, which the POC and JOC plans to submit.

During the 2005 SEA Games, it didn't feel as if something big was happening in the country. The venues were way too scattered. It wasn't really successful because of the logistical problems, poor exposure and weak public support.

The Philippine Olympic Committee's intention was to involve the whole country in that hosting (like encouraging the participation of far-flung cities in the south). Since the 2005 hosting came in a period when the Philippines is in a financial snag, the hosts asked the permission of the SEA Games Federation if they could host it in different venues to do away with the costs of upgrading existing sports facilities. Following the example of Vietnam in 2003, the SEAGF consented. In terms of support, didn't you know that the Philippines is a record holder for attracting millions of people to the Mass celebrated by Pope John Paul II in the same venue? The marketing efforts of the 2005 SEA Games is admittedly insufficiently funded, so there is not much marketing campaigns conducted to support the games.

And what about the (parade disguised as a) opening ceremony that Wiki describes as "attended by a record-breaking 200,000 spectators" and "highlighted Filipino talent and ingenuity [because] the light and sound equipment, stage components and even the fireworks were all Philippine-made"? Hah.

The Philippines is known for its tradition of "artistic ingenuity" as dances and songs are deeply embedded in its cultural heritage. The 2005 SEA Games worked on a very meager budget, and despite that minimal spending, that opening ceremonies is considered a success. Manila could have begged off from that hosting responsibility (as hosting in the SEA Games is determined by country-rotation and not through bidding), but the Philippines' response was to continue with its responsibility despite the lack of funding. The 2018 Asian Games would be a different story because the government is intending to raise the right funds for the event, and would be seen as a preparatory event for the 2020 Hiroshima-Manila bid. I would disagree if someone would say that the Philippines would be uncapable of holding a festive opening and closing ceremonies, as the Filipinos are world-class artistic performers. In fact, in 2006, Doha required the services of Lea Salonga, a Filipino Broadway-based performer in its "Triumph of the One" segment at the closing ceremonies. In terms of finances, the Philippines is posting positive economic growth during the year and this trend is expected to continue in the future.

1. In terms of support, didn't you know that the Philippines is a record holder for attracting millions of people to the Mass celebrated by Pope John Paul II in the same venue?

2. The Philippines is known for its tradition of "artistic ingenuity" as dances and songs are deeply embedded in its cultural heritage. The 2005 SEA Games worked on a very meager budget, and despite that minimal spending, that opening ceremonies is considered a success. Manila could have begged off from that hosting responsibility (as hosting in the SEA Games is determined by country-rotation and not through bidding), but the Philippines' response was to continue with its responsibility despite the lack of funding. The 2018 Asian Games would be a different story because the government is intending to raise the right funds for the event, and would be seen as a preparatory event for the 2020 Hiroshima-Manila bid. I would disagree if someone would say that the Philippines would be uncapable of holding a festive opening and closing ceremonies, as the Filipinos are world-class artistic performers.

3. In fact, in 2006, Doha required the services of Lea Salonga, a Filipino Broadway-based performer in its "Triumph of the One" segment at the closing ceremonies. In terms of finances, the Philippines is posting positive economic growth during the year and this trend is expected to continue in the future.

Welcome, enoch (and I take it u r from the RP)? Just a few points...

1. How can the Phil be the record-holder for statistics held in the same venue? Why, were other countries the sponsors for other masses held or celebrated by whichever Pope in the same venue? (BTW, u can't really compare Mass attendance stats w/ sports-venue stats. No one here compares visitor stats to Lourdes or Medjogore to, say, stats of visitors who went to paid events (where they DO keep track of the exact number of persons who paid admission) in Athens 2004 or Sydney 2000.

Which brings me to

2. The '200,000' or so spectators who lined the parade route. While indeed that may have been the OC which ended at the Grandstand in Luneta (did it not?), that rough count doesn't really qualify. As I said, the free events in the Olympics (yachting, the marathons, the road races) are not really 'tracked' in terms of attendance as they are FREE and not in a secured venue.

3. The services of Lea Salonga. I don't think Doha 2006 was 'required' to hire Ms. Salonga. They picked her (just as Atlanta picked Celine Dion; Salt Lake picked their talents for their Opening & Closing) because (1) she seemed appropriate for the event; (2) certainly she has the stature; and (3) she was available. But I am sure was most fairly compensated for her services -- so it's not like she was doing them a favor, or vice-versa.

As for building a new stadium (which, depending on how many bells and whistles they want to add) could cost anywhere from 750 million to 1.5 billion pesos, let's just hope the Phil economy will be sailing along smoothly over the next decade in order to finance this extravaganza.

As for the 2020 Olympics, that is a pipe dream w/ or w/o Hiroshima. You have to have some dominance in sports ON the int'l level to be taken seriously in hosting an Olympics or some sort of world championship. Unfortuantely, other than billiards, sipa and arnis (which are NOT Olympic sports), I don't see the Philippines being a serious medal contender for ANY of the traditional summer Olympic sports.

You know someone is from the Philippines when he/she uses the over- and misused "we're world-class" and big-numbers-for-the-sake-of-big-numbers cards. :rolleyes:

I will reiterate my earlier point that even if Manila has many existing venues (none of which are in excellent condition, by the way), the government still has to address the problem of transportation to link these venues together. A swanky new stadium in the bay reclamation area can make matters worse – how will you transport 90,000+ people (spectators, athletes, staff and performers) to and from the stadium given the congested roads in that area?

Manila-Hiroshima 2020? Correct me if I'm wrong, but bi-national bids are not accepted by the IOC. Besides, Manila and Hiroshima are too far from each other in order for a co-hosted SOG to be feasible. There are lots of other factors to consider when bidding for a big international sporting event. It's not just about having tons of money (which the Philippine government is sooooo friggin' good at handling).

Manila could give a shot for the Asian Games, but not the Olympic Games. Bidding for the SOG is a very expensive and complex undertaking. You might want to analyze and evaluate a Manila SOG bid based on these criteria:

1. Budget

2. Security

3. Political climate

4. Weather, national calendar and scheduling

5. Infrastructure

6. Legacy

7. Transportation

8. Accommodation

9. Hosting experience

and most importantly,

10. IOC geopolitics

The Philippine government should just focus on fixing the country's problems instead of investing a lot of money in dire efforts to impress the international community. How much is the application fee to bid for the SOG again? I'd rather spend that money on the national public school and health care systems. Do you know that the Philippine government guarantees only PHP 0.25 centavos to each citizen? That's not even enough to buy a pill to remedy a headache.

And now the government wants to try out for a big sporting event that costs billions and billions of dollars?

And Baron, I think that the Philippines can be a contender for a few SOG sports. Unfortunately, the Philippine Olympic Committee is foolishly spending millions of pesos on the wrong athletes and sports (like basketball – the national team failed to secure a spot in the Beijing 2008 prelims). The POC should reevaluate its priorities and consider other sports such as fencing, shooting, archery, badminton, boxing, table tennis and diving.

If you roughly rated the events

1. Olympics

2. Asian Games

3. Commonwealth Games

4. Pan American Games

5. All-African Games

6. Jeux de Francophonie

This is roughly based on level of competition, level of excitement, anticipation, crowd attendance, quality of bidding cities in relation to host nations etc.

If you roughly rated the events

1. Olympics

2. Asian Games

3. Commonwealth Games

4. Pan American Games

5. All-African Games

6. Jeux de Francophonie

This is roughly based on level of competition, level of excitement, anticipation, crowd attendance, quality of bidding cities in relation to host nations etc.

and the Mediterranean Games?

Archived