2016 Olympics In Lisbon?

marcos

After 2004 Olympics,the president of Portuguese Olympic Comitee announced that Lisbon is preparing to propose a bid to 2016 SOG.

It would be good,I think Lisbon have all the conditions to receive a SOG

Yes, Lisboa could be a great city to host Summer Olympic Games. And Portuguese people are very friendly.

In 2004, The Soccer European Cup was a great moment and superb organisation.

In general, i think that city near the city are realy the best venues for SOG.

SOC are fest... SOG are vacations... so what more wonderful than hollydays near the sea...

Go Lisboa !

Lisboa 2016 would be awesome!

No, 2016 is too soon after London.

I really believe in a continental rotation...

So may be after... 2024 (but it will be Paris !!!) So in 2032 or 2036. So you will have time to prepare...

I agree that would be better a lisbon SOG in 2020,because the new OTA international airport will be ready just in 2017 and also because in the next years Portugal are trying to reduce the budget deficit...In 2020 Lisbon will be totally ready to receive the olympic games

I agree that would be better a lisbon SOG in 2020,because the new OTA international airport will be ready just in 2017 and also because in the next years Portugal are trying to reduce the budget deficit...In 2020 Lisbon will be totally ready to receive the olympic games

I liked Lisbon. But we have to be realistic, marcos. To be seriously considered for a Summer Olympics after 2016, Lisbon will have to fall in line behind the likes of Delhi, Rio, Cape Town, Prague, Madrid, Rome, Istanbul, maybe St. Petersburg, and wait its turn.

I think that the Valley of Jamor would be good location for the main olympic complex

The Olympic Stadium would substitute the National Stadium and should be reduced to 40 000 after the games.

jamor.jpg

Basketball would be played in the Multisusos Pavillion

pavilhaoatlantico.jpg

Handball would be played in to be constructed pavillion

Soccer matches would be played in Oporto, Braga, Coimbra and Faro

estadio-dragao-6.jpg

300px-Estadio_Braga.JPG

coimbra.jpg

algarve1.jpg

Beach Volley would be played in the beaches of Estoril

396147.jpg

Tennis would be played in the upgraded Estoril Courts

A Aquatics Center would have to be built

The IBC would be located in the FIL Pavillions

163fil%20014.jpg

The River Tejo would be perfect for the sailling sports

59791320_b72ef56757.jpg

My biggest doubt would be the Olympic Village.

Athens' poor attendance early on was probably mostly due to the fact of all the hype that was done to the lead up of the Games over security concerns, rather than their domestic sporting tradition. Since Athens was the first Summer Olympics since 9/11, & the Greeks were quite behind on their preperations, most of the media was making a big stink over a possible terrorist attack.

I disagree. I think -- and it's been discussed extensively before-- it was a combination of other factors:

- it was August; a lot of Athenians preferred to take their vacation away from the city

- the Greeks (of a nation of only about 11 million people) weren't generally interested in sports that they don't follow. Early football rounds in Thessaloniki and I forget where else (Heraklion?), were likewise sparsely attended -- as they are at most Games; but the security fears I think would've applied inversely here -- if indeed those were fears.

Also, other Europeans by the droves showed up later -- so these security fears fanning the low attendance I believe was just a myth. The host nation is a relatively small one and I believe there was just a general disinterest (at least in the early stages of the Games); but attendance supposedly picked up towards the last days of the event.

Hey all :)

I haven't been around this forum for quite some time, but I'm ALWAYS interested on what's going on in the Olympic world - I'm an active member of the Olympics project on the English Wikipedia B)

It's always nice to hear what people have to say about a Lisbon Summer Games, although I too can only see any chances of that happening after 2024 (I even remember creating a logo for a 2024 SOG, lol). And I have three obvious reasons for that:

1. Portugal has an economy to recover and redevelop, and that takes some years if the "least bad" government holds the power. As much as I'd love to see an Olympics Opening Ceremony tomorrow, in Lisbon :P, the country cannot jeopardize itself financially with it (we're still trying to appease the EU by cutting our deficit below 3%!).
  2. Portugal, and especially Lisbon, which would be the only and best national candidate, is on the lower categories as far as the "waiting time" to get an Olympics is concerned. Despite hosting some important international sports/cultural events - Expo'98, 2000 Masters Cup finals, IAAF 2001 World Indoor Champs, 2003 Handball World Champs, UEFA Euro 2004, MTV EMA 2005, and this July, the New 7 Wonders declaration - it doesn't have ANY experience at the Olympic level. Many more world cities have been bidding successively over the past decades and haven't won yet, so Lisbon would have to wait "a bit". 2016 is out of the question (too late and Europe's out on this Olympiad), 2020 will be prizing the 2016 unlucky ones (and they're plenty), 2024 will prize the 2020 leftovers :lol: After this, who knows? Maybe the economy is better to risk a bid and maybe there won't be such invincible opponents.
  3. Finally, we're mostly (and sadly) a football (soccer) country. Sport in Portugal = Football. In all the media and people's heads. We are a sportingly unbalanced nation, despite having a few little wonders on other sports who are helping them to reach the spotlight (e.g. the rugby national team qualified for the RWC 2007, for the first time; and Vanessa Fernandes, triathlon's female ranking #1). We have to promote even more the development of other sports, especially right at school age, so kids grow practicing sport and increasing the amount of sportspeople and interest in sports. The way Spain did prior to Barcelona'92 - and look at Spain winning loads of things in almost every sport since then! A feasible bidding city has to come from a sporting nation with great chances to conquer many medals.

Anyway, despite all these impediments I truly hope to reach the day when the Five Rings will be flying on national ground :wub: Or at least give the SOG to Spain while I'm alive, so I can simply cross the border ;)

Cheers!

I also heard that Portugal will present a bid for 2018 FIFA World Cup......More chances,probably.

Marcos, the World Cup in many ways, is an EVEN bigger economic challenge than an Olympics since it's only dedicated to one sport but involves about 9 or 10 cities. Think about this, if Brazil (a country of some 120 million people) can barely get its act together for: (i) the smaller Pan Am Games; and (ii) the BIGGER WOrld CUp, then what more Portugal? You have to look at these things in perspective, Marcos. Your countryman, Felipe Golias - welcome, Felipe --has got the RIGHT grasp and perspective on Lisbon/Portugal's chances and the reasons thereof. You HAVE to be a larger country in order to sustain staging either one of these behemoths. Now, if Portugal had a winter sports tradition and the right mountains, then staging a Winter Olympics would be very sustainable for soemthing the size of your country.

I thought that in WC 2018 Portugal would have more chances because we have already 10 new stadiums for Euro 2004,and although I know that a WC is more than stadiums,to have ten stadiums just needing a increase of their capacities,would be a good start...

Marcos, the World Cup in many ways, is an EVEN bigger economic challenge than an Olympics since it's only dedicated to one sport but involves about 9 or 10 cities. Think about this, if Brazil (a country of some 120 million people) can barely get its act together for: (i) the smaller Pan Am Games; and (ii) the BIGGER WOrld CUp, then what more Portugal? You have to look at these things in perspective, Marcos.

It's difficult to compare the WC and the Olympics.

Sure the WC involves 9 to 10 cities but the Olympics is really like hosting 28 World Cahmpionships in the same place at the same time (not to mention that, with the Olympic Football tournament, you can add 4 to 5 cities). You have to be able, in a single place:

• to host about 15,000 athletes and officials
  • about 1 million visitors
  • something like 30,000 media representatives

This means a lot more than 28 sports venues. This means an Olympic Village, this means transporting everyone while keeping the city running at the same times, this means Media Village. I trully believe that hosting the Olympics puts much more pressure on a city and a country than the WC.

A lot of people agrees, seeing South-Africa 2010 as a good test on whether South Africa is ready to host the Games.

The problem with Brazil is not only money but mainly organizational chaos.

I disagree. I think -- and it's been discussed extensively before-- it was a combination of other factors:

- it was August; a lot of Athenians preferred to take their vacation away from the city

- the Greeks (of a nation of only about 11 million people) weren't generally interested in sports that they don't follow. Early football rounds in Thessaloniki and I forget where else (Heraklion?), were likewise sparsely attended -- as they are at most Games; but the security fears I think would've applied inversely here -- if indeed those were fears.

Also, other Europeans by the droves showed up later -- so these security fears fanning the low attendance I believe was just a myth. The host nation is a relatively small one and I believe there was just a general disinterest (at least in the early stages of the Games); but attendance supposedly picked up towards the last days of the event.

Well, of course. After seeing that Athens was not the complete fiasco that the media was predicting it out to be, many flocked to see the remainder of the Games. ;)

I just don't buy the whole Greek disinterest thing was the "sole" culprit (perhaps somewhat, but not entirely). The Athens Olympics were a sense of pride & vindication for the Greeks, that the Olympics were finally coming back to the Homeland.

Greece only having 11 million people can't see it as being a major factor, either. Australia only had 18 million people at the time of the 2000 Games in Sydney & most of their stadiums & events were packed. Plus, Australia is so far away from everyone, whereas Greece is attached to the 2nd most populous continent on the planet, which should've made attendance a non-issue. Which just leads me to believe that the media just blew everything out of proportion.

Even our own Homeland Security was saying that they didn't know if our own athletes would've been safe over there & to maybe not even send a team. With stuff like that being spewed-out contantly over the air-waves, to the lead-up of the Games, who wouldn't be freightened away.

Marcos, the World Cup in many ways, is an EVEN bigger economic challenge than an Olympics since it's only dedicated to one sport but involves about 9 or 10 cities. Think about this, if Brazil (a country of some 120 million people) can barely get its act together for: (i) the smaller Pan Am Games; and (ii) the BIGGER WOrld CUp, then what more Portugal? You have to look at these things in perspective, Marcos. Your countryman, Felipe Golias - welcome, Felipe --has got the RIGHT grasp and perspective on Lisbon/Portugal's chances and the reasons thereof. You HAVE to be a larger country in order to sustain staging either one of these behemoths. Now, if Portugal had a winter sports tradition and the right mountains, then staging a Winter Olympics would be very sustainable for soemthing the size of your country.
I thought that in WC 2018 Portugal would have more chances because we have already 10 new stadiums for Euro 2004,and although I know that a WC is more than stadiums,to have ten stadiums just needing a increase of their capacities,would be a good start...

marcos, without trying to be sarcastic but... get real ;)

A FIFA World Cup is perhaps even more unlikely, especially because its legacy isn't as broad as the Olympics - at least the Olympics help develop a lot of sports while the WC just gets you stuck with football stadiums.

The Euro 2004 was superb, a great achievement and motivated the whole nation (as I said the Portuguese are football lovers, almost fanatics), but even it left us with 2 or 3 "white elephants", namely the Algarve, Aveiro and Leiria fields which hold an excessive seating capacity for the attractiveness and appeal of the local clubs' football :rolleyes: (Leiria being the worst of them). Seeing this, one can't possibly propose 7 stadiums to increase their capacity by +10,000 seats (!) to achieve the minimum required for a WC venue :blink: That would be very foolish and money throw to the gutter.

Portugal should commit itself on developing infrastructures for a multiplicity of sports and start bidding for international sport events that can easily be given to the country (European champs or even IAAF World Champs, who knows?) so that it can gain the hosting experience required to be a possible successful Olympic bidder ;)

As for baron's suggestion of bidding for WOG (thanks for the welcoming), that is very difficult... mostly because we haven't got any of those requisites: winter sport tradition and adequate mountains with the infrastructure (the first is a consequence of the second, obviously). We should definitely bid for some medium-to-big sized events, of which we are perfectly capable of doing.

Well, of course. After seeing that Athens was not the complete fiasco that the media was predicting it out to be, many flocked to see the remainder of the Games. ;)

I just don't buy the whole Greek disinterest thing was the "sole" culprit (perhaps somewhat, but not entirely). The Athens Olympics were a sense of pride & vindication for the Greeks, that the Olympics were finally coming back to the Homeland.

Greece only having 11 million people can't see it as being a major factor, either. Australia only had 18 million people at the time of the 2000 Games in Sydney & most of their stadiums & events were packed. Plus, Australia is so far away from everyone, whereas Greece is attached to the 2nd most populous continent on the planet, which should've made attendance a non-issue. Which just leads me to believe that the media just blew everything out of proportion.

Even our own Homeland Security was saying that they didn't know if our own athletes would've been safe over there & to maybe not even send a team. With stuff like that being spewed-out contantly over the air-waves, to the lead-up of the Games, who wouldn't be freightened away.

Well, I guess we always see different sides of the prism.

Not always, B.P., just sometimes. ;)

Like I concur with you with the 2016 USOC vote & the 2014 IOC vote, for the most part. Although, Salzburg (& to a much lesser degree, even Sochi) I think still have somewhat of a chance.

OK,Rio,Delhi,Buenos Aires,etc have more chances and capacities than Lisbon but I don´t understand what Istanbul or Prague,or even Belgrade :unsure: have more than Lisbon.....

Although I understand that will be difficult Lisbon receive a SOG in the next years.......BUT I HAVE HOPE,with 80 years old I will see the LISBON 2052 OLYMPIC OPENING CEREMONY...... <_<

Well, Istanbul already has their Olympic stadium & have several bids under their belt. Plus, they're in a region of the world that hasn't hosted the Olympics yet. Prague falls under the same category as Lisbon, as far as their chances go. And Belgrade, I'd say would have less chances than Lisbon. So you're up at least one city out of the ones mentioned.

Archived