September 15th, 2000

Well, this news just came out hot from the presses. According to the Calgary Herald, the Chinese team loses the bronze medal in women's team gymnastics. The Americans get the bronze medal instead.

Link: Calgary Herald: China stripped of Sydney gymnastics bronze medal

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Okay, as I promised/threatened, here's some of my personal pics from Sydney 2000. Sorry if they're a bit large _ I only have MS Paint on my work PC, so I can't reduce them. Anyway: Me with some fr

Most of it was centered around Olympic Park, Homebush, so yes.

It's not set in stone yet ... just a proposal. No way it would be done in time for the AFC Cup, unfortunately.

I did see mention earlier this year in the papers of some sort of celebration being planned. No details, though - probably more to emerge as we get closer. I'm sure the AOC will hold some sort of official diner etc, some sort of public tribute at Olympic Park and the Oly Vollies (volunteers) may organise some reunions etc.

• 3 weeks later...

AOC honours Sydney Olympic organisers

May 15, 2010 - 1:59PM

The Australian Olympic Committee (AOC) has honoured two of the key architects of the Sydney 2000 Olympic Games.

At its annual general meeting at Sydney's Darling Harbour on Saturday, the AOC presented awards to Michael Knight and David Richmond.

AOC president John Coates presented the awards, which state "in grateful appreciation of your contribution to the Australian Olympic movement on the 10th anniversary of the Sydney Olympic Games".

"Ten years on, Sydney is still recognised as the best Games ever which highlights the vision, hard work and dedication both men showed during what was a frantic and at times stressful time in our lives," Coates said.

"Michael and David both had their critics, but the end result and the legacy for all Australians vindicates some tough decisions they made.

"We needed people who could get the job done and they achieved the ultimate result."

Knight was NSW minister for Olympics from 1995 till 2001 and chair of the Sydney Organising Committee for the Olympic Games (SOCOG). At the conclusion of the Games, he was awarded the gold Olympic Order.

Richmond ran the Olympic Co-Ordination Authority (OCA).

http://news.smh.com.au/breaking-news-sport/aoc-honours-sydney-olympic-organisers-20100515-v54b.html

• 1 month later...
Freeman to relight cauldron for 10th Anniversary

18 June 2010

The 15th of September this year marks the 10 year anniversary of Sydney 2000 – the Games that Sydney, Australia and Olympic fans around the world remember as the “Best Games Ever”.

One of the highlights for the planned celebrations is the relighting of the Sydney Olympic cauldron by Cathy Freeman. The Overflow at Sydney Olympic Park will also be officially renamed ‘Cathy Freeman Park’ on the day.

Olympians, volunteers and over 1000 school children will participate in activities and presentations during the day with media interest being very high for the occasion.

In the morning, London 2012 Organising Committee Chairman and dual Olympic gold medallist Sebastian Coe will speak at a fundraising breakfast for Australia’s 2012 Olympians and to unveil London’s plaque on Olympic Boulevard. Each Olympics has a plague on the promenade.

Later in the day Juan Antonio Samaranch will be commended for his work as IOC president. Samaranch led the IOC during the Games and called them the “best Olympic Games ever” at the closing ceremony.

There will be a reunion in the Olympic Stadium with school children involved in a re-enactment of the march past and in the evening there will be a Celebration Dinner in the Millennium Room of the Stadium.

The Australian Olympic Committee are driving the celebrations and are joined on the Organising Committee by representatives from the Australian Paralympic Committee, Sydney Olympic Park Authority, Events NSW, the City of Sydney and NSW Government Premier’s Department.

Celebrations for the week are to begin Sept. 11, with an exhibit of the “largest collection” of Sydney Olympic memorabilia at the Powerhouse Discovery Centre in Sydney.

The exhibit would contain the torch Freeman used to light the cauldron and costumes used by celebrities at the opening and closing ceremony.

The Olympic celebrations are set to conclude Sept. 17 with a discussion of Sydney’s Olympic legacy at the University of Technology, Sydney. Paralympic celebrations are scheduled for Oct. 18, with an invitation-only Paralympian of the Year ceremony.

AOC

Thanks for posting this SR...thought I saw a news report a few weeks back on the guts of this story. I'll probably go and take a look at the 15th. Nice to see that there'll be an exhibition of Sydney 2000 memorabilia etc, however as I said in another thread (can't recall which one) why isn't there a permanent museum or exhibition space for this stuff at Homebush? And as for the London 2012 plaque, I didn't even know there was one for Beijing or Athens. There are the light pylons with plaques etc for all games leading up to Sydney 2000 but have they been adding more since 2000?

Maybe we should have a GamesBid Sydney booze up at the anniversary :lol:

Yeah, I must admit, when I saw Cathy was gonna re-light the cauldron, I did think it might be well worth making the trip over to Homebush for the, what would you call it ... Decenary?

We never did get top celebrate the year's anniversary - I remember stuff was planned, but then September 11 happened, and it was, well, inapproriate at best.

Keep me posted if you plan on going.

• 2 months later...

Excellent article from The Oz's Glenda Korporaal on Sydney's legacy 10 years on. Nicely balanced and close to the mark, I think.

Carrying the torch

Not too bad a report Rols and of course with Glenda Korporaal behind it (author of 'The Bid' and probably one of the two or three best Olympic sports journalists in Australia) there is a degree of authority to it. I was a little disappointed how she didn't mention the elephant in the room re tourism...9/11. Sydney 2000 was always going to have it's tourism impact decreased considering the length of time it takes overseas visitors from the Americas and Europe particularly to come here and global tourism and aviation suffered hugely because of 9/11. It was going to be a bloody hard ask to build sustainable tourism down under for that period say 2001-2004 within that context, and by then much of the world's sport/tourism attention was shifting to Greece and Athens.

It also has to be said that the state government in NSW has literally turned everything it touches to crap since 2000, and that has certainly hindered the Olympic legacy. Turning SOP and Newington into a viable new urban and business centre has been hindered by a lack of transport infrastructure and planning stuff ups. Having said that most recent SOG redevelopments have taken a degree of time and effort to get to where Sydney's are today, and in fact I'd argue we are way ahead of our more recent and many earlier hosts.

The other legacy issue that wasn't properly addressed in the article (though hinted at) was the impact the Sydney games had on our sports politics and international influence. Australia is (unlike as late as the early 90s) a major Olympic power in terms of representation in the IOC, planning and development of current and future hosting OGs, rankings in sports held at the games, corporate partnerships with OCOGs (as seen with the likes of David Atkins for Vancouver) and even in the battle against doping (with John Fahey, NSW premier when Sydney won the 2000 games now head of WADA). Without Sydney 2000 there would have been a vast diminishing of our impact on the Olympic movement, sports and their political management...since 1992 I'd argue only the likes of the US, China, the UK and maybe two or three other countries and their representatives have had such a major role to play in global sport as Australians were able to build on.

Not too bad a report Rols and of course with Glenda Korporaal behind it (author of 'The Bid' and probably one of the two or three best Olympic sports journalists in Australia) there is a degree of authority to it. I was a little disappointed how she didn't mention the elephant in the room re tourism...9/11. Sydney 2000 was always going to have it's tourism impact decreased considering the length of time it takes overseas visitors from the Americas and Europe particularly to come here and global tourism and aviation suffered hugely because of 9/11. It was going to be a bloody hard ask to build sustainable tourism down under for that period say 2001-2004 within that context, and by then much of the world's sport/tourism attention was shifting to Greece and Athens.

It also has to be said that the state government in NSW has literally turned everything it touches to crap since 2000, and that has certainly hindered the Olympic legacy. Turning SOP and Newington into a viable new urban and business centre has been hindered by a lack of transport infrastructure and planning stuff ups. Having said that most recent SOG redevelopments have taken a degree of time and effort to get to where Sydney's are today, and in fact I'd argue we are way ahead of our more recent and many earlier hosts.

The other legacy issue that wasn't properly addressed in the article (though hinted at) was the impact the Sydney games had on our sports politics and international influence. Australia is (unlike as late as the early 90s) a major Olympic power in terms of representation in the IOC, planning and development of current and future hosting OGs, rankings in sports held at the games, corporate partnerships with OCOGs (as seen with the likes of David Atkins for Vancouver) and even in the battle against doping (with John Fahey, NSW premier when Sydney won the 2000 games now head of WADA). Without Sydney 2000 there would have been a vast diminishing of our impact on the Olympic movement, sports and their political management...since 1992 I'd argue only the likes of the US, China, the UK and maybe two or three other countries and their representatives have had such a major role to play in global sport as Australians were able to build on.

I can't say I knew her well, but I've worked with Glenda. Lovely lady.

And yeah, I agree with you 100 per cent, 9/11 was the HUGE hit to any likely post-games tourism boom. And yet it got a scant mention.

As for SOP? Hmmm. I dunno. It has been a slow process for it to start to become "alive" and self-sustaining, but we can't say we weren't told that from the start, and I don't think it's ever really been even close the white elephant that critics and watchers from afar have been keen to try and paint it. Like anything in NSW and Sydney, transport's the missing key. Pity Auburn-Newington aren't in a marginal electorate. Still, lately I've been using Bicentennial Park and the surrounds almost every fortnight. Great asset to the city!

And as for our influence, don't forget probably the bigger winner of all, Coatesy. He's ridden the Sydney wave excellently, and is proving a deft hand both within the IOC, and guarding the Olympic flame back home vigorously against the assaults of the likes of the Crawford Report. I wouldn't put any limit yet on how far he can rise in the ranks at Lausanne.

I can't say I knew her well, but I've worked with Glenda. Lovely lady.

And yeah, I agree with you 100 per cent, 9/11 was the HUGE hit to any likely post-games tourism boom. And yet it got a scant mention.

As for SOP? Hmmm. I dunno. It has been a slow process for it to start to become "alive" and self-sustaining, but we can't say we weren't told that from the start, and I don't think it's ever really been even close the white elephant that critics and watchers from afar have been keen to try and paint it. Like anything in NSW and Sydney, transport's the missing key. Pity Auburn-Newington aren't in a marginal electorate. Still, lately I've been using Bicentennial Park and the surrounds almost every fortnight. Great asset to the city!

And as for our influence, don't forget probably the bigger winner of all, Coatesy. He's ridden the Sydney wave excellently, and is proving a deft hand both within the IOC, and guarding the Olympic flame back home vigorously against the assaults of the likes of the Crawford Report. I wouldn't put any limit yet on how far he can rise in the ranks at Lausanne.

Oh yes...Coates is probably the one single person who has really taken the Sydney 2000 SOGs and spun it into pure gold. From IOC membership and exec committee positioning to kicking the Crawford Report into the gutter of government indifference, he'd have to be one of the top 5 sports execs in Australia if not within the IOC. We Aussies might have thought Lord Gosper was our best hope for an IOC Prez but I say watch Mr Coates. He might not be Jacques' successor but he has ambition, drive, networking skills, credibility and could well get the nod before 2024...

• 2 weeks later...
Our Olympic mascots beat Fatso in the race to the Powerhouse

ALTHOUGH Syd, Olly and Millie were the official mascots of the 2000 Sydney Olympic Games, they never won hearts like the rogue mascot, Fatso the fat-arsed wombat.

Fatso was a product of Roy Slaven and H.G. Nelson's Channel Seven television show, The Dream, which captured the Zeitgeist of the greatest Games ever held.

Slaven told the Herald after the Games: ''There was always a sense of disappointment, personally speaking, with Syd, Olly and Dickhead. They just didn't talk to me and I didn't see kids playing with them in the streets.''

There's no Fatso, however, in the collection of Olympic memorabilia at the Powerhouse Discovery Centre in Castle Hill that will be on display this Saturday as part of the celebrations for the 10th anniversary of the Games. Syd the platypus, Olly the kookaburra and Millie the echidna are among the hundreds of items at the centre that manager Christopher Snelling believes form one of the world's most comprehensive Olympic collections.

There's also Lizzie the frillnecked lizard, the mascot of the Sydney Paralympic Games.

The collection boasts everything, from clothing Nikki Webster wore at the Olympic opening ceremony to signage about composting that was part of the ''green'' Games.

On Saturday, children will also be able to make their own medals and stand on a genuine medal podium. Jennifer Irwin, who designed costumes for the opening and closing ceremonies, will talk about the work she did on the likes of the iconic ''lawnmower men''.

As for Fatso, he sits in the office of the Seven Network chairman Kerry Stokes in Sydney.

Sydney Morning Herald

• 1 year later...

Still often when I trawl through the net and read Olympic stories, Sydney gets mentioned among the "white elephant" cautionary tales - usually based on the state of the stadium just one year after the games, but ignoring how nearly all venues are now making profits.

Now more evidence to the contrary:

Sydney Olympic Park a commercial real estate boomtown

ONCE tipped to become a great white elephant, Sydney Olympic Park has transformed into a commercial real estate boomtown 11 years on from the 2000 Games.

While empty offices gather dust in the rest of the city, Olympic Park is hot property.

Sydney Olympic Park appears to be holding the torch for the otherwise sluggish commercial market after the latest Sydney metropolitan office report by Colliers International showed the area had the tightest vacancy rate of all Sydney markets, at just 0.7 per cent.

The area, which officially became a suburb in 2009, has approximately 100,000sq m of net lettable office space, with more ear-marked in the 2030 master plan. The 130 businesses on site employ 12,000 people, not including temporary staff brought in for the 5000-plus events which attract about 10 million visitors a year.

By 2030, Olympic Park is expected to have a daily population of 50,000 workers, students and residents as well as 20,000 visitors a day.

Lee Walker, senior project manager at BIS Shrapnel, said despite Olympic Park's "incredibly low" vacancy rate, rents had not reflected the high demand.

Watpac, one of the more recent residents to move to Sydney Olympic Park, relocated from Norwest Business Park in 2010.

"For us, it's the geographic centre of Sydney because as a construction company our projects can be spread all over the greater metropolitan area.," Watpac NSW manager Rick Wang said.

He said the continued development of the park and its surrounding infrastructure was a positive for residents.

"It brings people 24/7 to the park and then that creates more opportunity for retail."

News.com.au

It's certainly something I noticed during our wee tiki tour when deciding to get from Olympic Wharf to Park on foot , haha. There really are quite the lot of new developments and office space in the Olympic Park area.

• 1 year later...
$250 million vision to transform ANZ Stadium

lp_ANZ7-20130702083434849945-620x349.jpg

ANZ Stadium could be upgraded to include a retractable roof and seating that can be moved closer to the ground for sporting events as part of a $250 million vision for the stadium precinct to be unveiled on Tuesday.

As the stadium gears up to host the showdown between the Wallabies and British and Irish Lions on Saturday night, the Sydney Olympic Park Authority has released its long-term vision of the stadium and park precinct that it says will ensure it continues to attract world-class sporting and entertainment events.

A 3D animation of the stadium, built 14 years ago for the Sydney Olympics, shows a roof opening over the stadium, and northern and southern grandstands that can be moved to bring fans closer to the sidelines for rugby league, rugby union and soccer matches.

The masterplan also envisages 10,000 square metres of new development including new restaurants, clubs, bars, shops, a rooftop pool and cinema for the precinct. Funding has not yet been pledged to complete the projects.

Daryl Kerry, the managing director of ANZ Stadium, said weather-proofing the stadium was vital so that it continued to attract world-class sporting and entertainment events.

This month the stadium will not only host the Wallabies and British and Irish Lions decider but the third State of Origin clash and a showdown between Manchester United and the A-League All Stars.

“If we work hard with government and the stakeholders to bring this masterplan to reality, NSW will continue to lead the way in attracting world-class sporting and entertainment events," Mr Kerry said in a statement.

"Putting a roof on the stadium will weather-proof the major events going forward, while moving stands north and south will create an even more dramatic atmosphere for the football codes that prefer a true rectangular field.

“Everyone who has watched the Sydney Olympic Park precinct grow as a destination since the 2000 Olympic Games should be excited about the vision for the Stadia Precinct. These are developments that will change Sydney forever.”

NSW Sports Minister Graham Annesley, who will launch the animation on Tuesday, said it provided viewers with a vision of the possible long-term future of the precinct.

“It's a very exciting glimpse of the future as the park continues to evolve as a constant reminder of the wonderful Sydney Olympic legacy left to the people of NSW," he said.

“Proposals of this nature would significantly add to what is already on offer at the park to further enrich the lives of the growing local community, the people of New South Wales, and the 10 million visitors the park attracts annually."

Sydney Morning Herald

Beat me to it, Rols! Looks fantastic. It is amazing to watch Sydney Olympic Park evolve and go from strength to strength since 2000. Anyone who calls it a white elephant is kidding themselves. London really is the only other Olympic City to create such a useful urban renewal scheme out of it's Olympic site. The same can't really be said for Beijing, Athens, Atlanta, Barcelona, Seoul and to the best of my knowledge, Rio (which is chiefly a sports precinct?).

It's definitely not the white elephant ghost town that it was immediately after the games. I was actually working there for a week about a month ago, and was pleasantly surprised by how it's developed into quite a vibrant commercial district of its own.

My one remaining gripe is still lack of food outlets/restaurants catering to people coming in for events. If you're not into Subway or Maccas, it's basically only the restaurants at the hotels there to go to. I can't seer why a good big pub with a beer garden wouldn't do good business there.

I agree, but I think this will come with time - as the population recently grows. It is about to get a new tallest building too - Australia Tower:

AustraliaTowers_apartments-overview-5bg.

I'd like to see the greenery perhaps encroach a little more on the precinct - while it is surrounded by some amazing parklands that are really starting to mature (including the nearby Bicentennial Park which dates back to 1988). It is much more urban than Munich's Park - and doesn't appear as much of a "park" as London's is, but I can't imagine how it could be any less urban with all the stadiums in constant use, plus major festivals and fairs that occur annually.

You are right though - more emphasis needs to be placed on making it more of a "neighbourhood" for the people that live and work there. On a logistical level, once the population grows more, I think there will be pressure to delink the Olympic Park Sprint line from its connection at Lidcombe and perhaps try and link it up with the City. I've always thought Olympic Park should have just been incorperated as a terminus for the Inner West Line - I think this would draw more people to the area too having that "direct" link from one of Sydney's most densely populated areas.

Edited by runningrings
ANZ Stadium could be upgraded to include a retractable roof and seating that can be moved closer to the ground for sporting events as part of a $250 million vision for the stadium precinct to be unveiled on Tuesday.
Do anyone know if this will be before or after the AFC Asian Cup ( January 2015 )?
the final will be there.
Do anyone know if this will be before or after the AFC Asian Cup ( January 2015 )?
the final will be there.

It's not set in stone yet ... just a proposal. No way it would be done in time for the AFC Cup, unfortunately.

• Like 1
I hope they will do it .. especially the retractable roof
unfortunately if the project confirmed they could postpone the works until after the AFC Cup.

there is still 18 months until the event so if they started now they could finish it even if I have no idea how it could take to finish such a roof on an already built stadium.

If we ever do make a bid for the FIFA WC (not that i think Australia has any plans to do that in the offing - and with the AFC (Qatar) having 2022, the earliest we could bid for is 2030 anyway), such an upgrade would be a great marketing point for us.

If we ever do make a bid for the FIFA WC (not that i think Australia has any plans to do that in the offing - and with the AFC (Qatar) having 2022, the earliest we could bid for is 2030 anyway), such an upgrade would be a great marketing point for us.

I think if Australia did bid on 2030 - we'd be tabling a much superior bid to 2022. With this development, there is a high chance of a new major stadium in Sydney to replace SFS - and I can imagine that Suncorp in Brisbane would be ripe for development - Perth would have the 80,000 seat Stadium WA... Melbourne would likely have a revamped MCG and potential new 60,000+ stadium to replace Docklands. Hopefully our wounds have healed. Right now I couldn't be bothered.

Edited by runningrings