September 15th, 2000

Guardian

world games 2013? whats the website of the IWGA? Thanks

Yes, micheal_warren. The World Games is under the control of the International World Games Association (IWGA). Their official website is here:

Link: The Official Website Of The World Games (Under The Patronage Of The International Olympic Committee [iOC])

Of course, along with how the IOC decides which sports/events that will be held in future Olympiads, the IWGA program will change according to those IOC decisions. You see, some of these sports in the World Games program has been successful to being added to the Olympic program and, therefore, no longer needs to be in the World Games. However, with baseball and softball recently given the boot by the IOC, both these sports could become ones in the World Games. It is somewhat a bit of a symbiotic relationship between the IOC and the IWGA.

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Yes, micheal_warren. The World Games is under the control of the International World Games Association (IWGA). Their official website is here:

Link: The Official Website Of The World Games (Under The Patronage Of The International Olympic Committee [iOC])

Of course, along with how the IOC decides which sports/events that will be held in future Olympiads, the IWGA program will change according to those IOC decisions. You see, some of these sports in the World Games program has been successful to being added to the Olympic program and, therefore, no longer needs to be in the World Games. However, with baseball and softball recently given the boot by the IOC, both these sports could become ones in the World Games. It is somewhat a bit of a symbiotic relationship between the IOC and the IWGA.

thanks for that information

I'm kind of surprised that this event wasn't mentioned here, since Australia is such a "powerhouse" in the Olympic Games. In fact, this one is being held in less than a month from now in Sydney:

Link: The 2007 Australian Youth Olympic Festival In Sydney

Wow. About 100 young British athletes will attend this event and be in 11 of the Olympic sports within it.

Link: BBC: Stars For 2012

Wow. About 100 young British athletes will attend this event and be in 11 of the Olympic sports within it.

Link: BBC: Stars For 2012

yea i think the sydney event is a brilliant stepping stone for young athletes who are able to gain international exposure at an early age!!

<font color='#000000'>5 years. That's quick. :;):

Anyway, Sydney did an excellent job in hosting the 2000 Olympic Games. I heard that some of the people who was part of making those Games the way it operated is being asked to help out the upcoming Games in their preparations.

However, it will be interesting on how some of those venues will be used for the 2008 World Youth Day and the 2009 World Masters Games.</font>

Yehs !!

the "people" that organised the sydney olympics .

Already organised the doha asian games.

Did you know that australia is thought to have the best fireworks organization !

GO SYDNEY !!

yea i think the sydney event is a brilliant stepping stone for young athletes who are able to gain international exposure at an early age!!

Well, it is now underway:

Link: BBC: Australian Youth Olympics Opens

New Zealand has a excellent first day at the games winning 3 gold a silver and 2 bronze. Medals vere won in badminton, swimming, cycling, kayaking and shooting!! This is a fantastic first day for new zealand. How did GBR go?

The event is now over, but the BBC had quite a couple of articles made over the days:

1. China's Sprint To Sporting Gold

2. Shooter Bond Earns First GB Gold

3. Gilligan Wins Skeet Shooting Gold

4. GB Rowers Lead Sydney Medal Haul

5. GB Rowers Top Sydney Medal Table

The Sydney 2000 Olympic Games torch relay made history then by having the Olympic torch go underwater at the Great Barrier Reef. We do not know, if this kind of act will be repeated at some future Olympic torch relay. If this BBC article is saying "the truth", then I fear that the whole area could be dead by climate change within my lifetime.

Link: BBC: Great Barrier Reef Could Soon Die

Man, there is going to be a lot of mad Aussies, if this scenario starts happening right before their eyes.

Well, it seems that Perth could be in the running against Sydney here. Of course, the shortlist for these Games will occur on May 31, 2007.

Link: IWGA Article About Potential 2013 World Games Candidate Cities

(Note: This was dated January 8, 2007, if you wanted more proof of that other topic in the International Games section of these forums.

• 1 month later...

Happy 75th Birthday to one of the most iconic sites in Australia: the Sydney Harbour Bridge!

Link: BBC: Sydney's Bridge Marks 75th Year

_42695905_brdge.jpg

_42695903_syd.jpg

It was amazing then to have the Olympic Rings placed on it for the 2000 Olympic Games.

• 1 month later...

Hello Sydney Olympic enthusiasts,

I just finished two months of research down under where I looked at the lasting legacy of those 2000 Games. With help from U. Technology Sydney's Olympic Center and the Thomas J Watson foundation, I just finished putting together my notes in a semi-formal report. The article examines the dynamic nature of Sydney's legacy and the changing public opinion.

Please, if you have a chance, take a look at it and let me know if there are any glaring errors or just comments in general.

As always, I appreciate they help.

Click here for the report. Or visit my website, www.chasingtheflame.com

Greg

Hello Sydney Olympic enthusiasts,

I just finished two months of research down under where I looked at the lasting legacy of those 2000 Games. With help from U. Technology Sydney's Olympic Center and the Thomas J Watson foundation, I just finished putting together my notes in a semi-formal report. The article examines the dynamic nature of Sydney's legacy and the changing public opinion.

Please, if you have a chance, take a look at it and let me know if there are any glaring errors or just comments in general.

As always, I appreciate they help.

Click here for the report. Or visit my website, www.chasingtheflame.com

Greg

Nice summary Gregory _ and fair, warts and all! You touched a little bit on how Australia has marketed its games bidding and organisation expertise post-2000, butm maybe you could have mentioned a bit more _ Australian involvement in bids like capetown's for 2004 and London's for 2012, involvement in things like Torino's ceremonies etc.

Anyway, are you still in Australia? Or are you off to another past-host now? Hope you had a great time in our city _ I guess you realised that we love showing it off.

Cheers!

Nice summary Gregory _ and fair, warts and all! You touched a little bit on how Australia has marketed its games bidding and organisation expertise post-2000, butm maybe you could have mentioned a bit more _ Australian involvement in bids like capetown's for 2004 and London's for 2012, involvement in things like Torino's ceremonies etc.

Anyway, are you still in Australia? Or are you off to another past-host now? Hope you had a great time in our city _ I guess you realised that we love showing it off.

Cheers!

Thanks! Thanks for for such an amazing city. I had a blast (and my work probably suffered because of it ;))

I think that aspect of exporting organization expertise is a fascinating one that many people over look. Because when you consider Sydney and their involvement with everything from Commonwealth Games, Asian Games, to Olympic Games, the Olympic-related investment opportunities are endless.

And sadly, I am no longer in Australia. Been in Seoul for about 3 weeks now. Interesting place but not quite as fun as Sydney :D

Well, it seems that Perth could be in the running against Sydney here. Of course, the shortlist for these Games will occur on May 31, 2007.

Link: IWGA Article About Potential 2013 World Games Candidate Cities

(Note: This was dated January 8, 2007, if you wanted more proof of that other topic in the International Games section of these forums.

With less than one month before whether any Australian city will go ahead, or not, with the 2013 World Games bid, any news from there regarding this topic lately?

With less than one month before whether any Australian city will go ahead, or not, with the 2013 World Games bid, any news from there regarding this topic lately?

I doubt many people down here know what the World games is or that it exists. Nothing in the press at all about it (at least in Sydney _ the smoke signals from Perth haven't reached the east coast yet).

• 1 month later...
Happy 75th Birthday to one of the most iconic sites in Australia: the Sydney Harbour Bridge!

Link: BBC: Sydney's Bridge Marks 75th Year

_42695905_brdge.jpg

_42695903_syd.jpg

It was amazing then to have the Olympic Rings placed on it for the 2000 Olympic Games.

Congratulations on being Australia's newest UNESCO World Heritage Site, Sydney Opera House. :) That and having this bridge beside it is sure going to make the area more attractive for visitors, as if it needs it because they both are already so well known.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Well, to our fellow Australians in this GamesBids forums, today is the 7th anniversary of Australia's second hosting of the Olympic Games in its history. We all know how well Sydney hosted the 2000 Olympic Games: the Games of the New Millennium and of the 27th Olympiad. Never mind how well the home Australian team performed back then. It could be a matter of time, before some of us gets to see a possible return of the Olympic Games to Australian soil again.

Link: IOC's Sydney 2000 Olympic Games Page

2000S_emblem_b.jpg

The Emblem

2000S_poster_b.jpg

The Official Olympic Poster

2000S_torch_b.jpg

The Olympic Torch

The only thing wrong with that is that they were NOT the Games of the New Millennium since the new millennium did not start until 2001 (need I remind you that there was no year 0, therefore each millennium begins at 1, i.e. 1001, 2001, etc.)

The only thing wrong with that is that they were NOT the Games of the New Millennium since the new millennium did not start until 2001 (need I remind you that there was no year 0, therefore each millennium begins at 1, i.e. 1001, 2001, etc.)

True, then who cares?

Need I remind you that a significant part of the world population does not even follow the Roman calendar?

This argument crops up time and again...when does a new century actually start? Is it 1900 or 1901,is it 2000 or 2001?

Whatever the merits of each point of view,the fact is that most people perceive a new decade or a new century to have started when the number sequence changes.It may be strictly correct to argue that the last decade of the old century did not end in 1999 but in 2000,but most people instinctively feel that '2000' is where it all started and not '2001' because the whole sequence of numbers has already changed!

So I for one make no apologies for quibbling and am happy to recall the Sydney Games that started this day 7 years ago as the first Olympics of the new century and hence the new Millennium.

Happy birthday,Sydney 2000!!

And even seven years later, those Games cast the same spell on me as they did in September and October 2000. I vividly recall how I rushed home from school to see the rest of the opening ceremony -- and how depressed I was when the Games were over. And, of course, all those magnificent, already legendary competitions: Ian Thorpe's triumphs in the Olympic pool, Cathy Freeman's 400 m victory, Michael Johnson's farewell, Haile Gebrselassie's last Olympic gold medal, the Olympic premiere of triathlon, Heike Drechsler's sensational gold medal in long jump, the world record of the Germans in the track cycling team pursuit -- and so on. And that brilliant atmosphere created by the fairness and love for sports of the Australian people. What else can I say: Absolutely perfect Games! Even Beijing with all its eagerness will have difficulties to reach Sydney's level.

With that topic making its rounds at the Beijing 2008 subject, it will be tough to beat the cauldron lighting at the Sydney 2000 opening ceremony by Cathy Freeman.

• 3 months later...

On the day of the new year, I have managed to put up on YouTube these clips:

1. YouTube: The National Flags of Greece and Australia at Atlanta 1996

2. YouTube: The Sydney 2000 Presentation At Atlanta 1996

By the way, for the second link, I need some proper information to correct my description about it. Thanks.

Archived