September 15th, 2000

Guardian

Today marks the five years point since the opening of Sydney 2000, one of the great times to be in my home city.

In the tradition of the Atlanta and Athens threads, therefore, I thought I'd open up this one. When I get home, I'll post some of my personal pics from the games.

In the meantime, here's a story on AOC president John Coates, marking of the ocassion:

SYDNEY, Sept 15 AAP - The financial legacy and the great facilities from the Sydney 2000 Olympics will help propel Australia to another top five finish at the 2008 Beijing Games, according to Olympic chief John Coates.

Speaking on the fifth anniversary of the Opening Ceremony for the Sydney Games, president of the Australian Olympic Committee Coates said ``the best Games ever'' had proved a perfect launching pad for future success.

``After staging the Games, most Olympic host countries experience disappointing results. The AOC was determined to avoid any Olympic hangover,'' he said.

``We wanted desperately to maintain the momentum of Sydney.''

Coates said the financial legacy achieved as a result of the Sydney Games had been key to the nation's subsequent success at the Salt Lake City winter games and the Athens 2004 summer Olympics.

At Athens Australia won 48 medals, including a record 17 gold, again finishing in fourth place on the medal table after winning 16 gold and 58 medals in total in Sydney.

At Salt Lake City in 2002 Australia won its first ever winter Olympic gold medals.

``The financial legacy (from Sydney) has enabled us to maintain funding to our member sports and direct to the athletes,'' Coates said.

``Our teams are better prepared because of that investment.''

Coates said the AOC had budgeted a record $36 million in funding for the 2004-2008 quadrennium and is committed to sending another ``full'' team of about 500 athletes to the Beijing Games.

``We feel extremely fortunate to be in such a strong financial position that we can afford to take so many athletes to the Olympic Games,'' he said.

And Coates said the world class sporting facilities built at Sydney Olympic Park were one of the great legacies of the Sydney Games.

``In terms of usage, the major venues are an outstanding success,'' he said.

``It is fantastic that Australians can watch international sport like the Rugby World Cup, Tennis and Hockey as well as domestic football and other events in those venues.

``Sydney Olympic Park also provides training facilities for juniors and some of our lesser profile sports who in the past really struggled for somewhere decent to train.''

AAP

oly_opentorch_big.jpg

5 years. That's quick.  :;):

Anyway, Sydney did an excellent job in hosting the 2000 Olympic Games. I heard that some of the people who was part of making those Games the way it operated is being asked to help out the upcoming Games in their preparations.

However, it will be interesting on how some of those venues will be used for the 2008 World Youth Day and the 2009 World Masters Games.

Congratulations Sydney!!! These games were really outstanding and in my opinion they are still "the best games ever").

Excellent venues in a real vibrant city. I wont forget the smashing ceremonies and I think Cathy Freeman lightning the Olympic Cauldron is a moment which will be very difficult to top for all future Host Cities!

The IOC did the right decision on September 23rd 1993 to award the games to Sydney!

Time to rewatch the Opening Ceremony this evening  :rolleyes:

Okay, as I promised/threatened, here's some of my personal pics from Sydney 2000. Sorry if they're a bit large _ I only have MS Paint on my work PC, so I can't reduce them.

Anyway:

olybondi5cc.jpg

Me with some friends at Bondi for the Beach Volleyball, We decided to become honourary Brazilians for the day _ they had the best supporters!

olyharbourbridge20jm.jpg

The Sydney Harbour Bridge decked out in the Five Rings

olyrolsinmartinplace28qg.jpg

Me enjoying the Olympic Live site in Martin Place, central Sydney.

olygymnastics9pr.jpg

Mens gymnastics final at Olympic Park. I'm part of the crowd sitting directly above the action.

• Like 1

I can't believe that five years have gone by so fast!  The Sydney Games were a model of excellent organization led by a country known for their passion for sport and a city famous for the beauty of its setting, its landmarks, and its welcoming spirit.

Sydney 2000 was a high point in the Olympic Movement.

Aussie, Aussie, Aussie, Oy, Oy, Oy!

Good on ya!

5 years - where does time go?  I was still in my 30's when the games went down under  :cry:

By far one of the best organized and most visually beautiful games held over the past 30 years.  That combination is hard to achieve - Sydney and Barcelona have the distinction of being able to do it.

Roltel, I didn't know you were such a cutie!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

Geez. Talk about Sydney being in the international spotlight for the next 3 years straight from 2007 to 2009.

As mentioned already, Sydney will host the World Youth Day for 2008 and the World Masters Games for 2009. Now that the APEC summit for this year in Hanoi, Vietnam, is over, next year's APEC summit will be held in Sydney. Below is the link to the official website:

Link: Official Website For The 2007 APEC Summit In Sydney, Australia

Note: I hope that this meeting will not make the city into a "war zone", unlike what happened with the G20 Summit that occurred in Melbourne a couple of days ago.

Geez. Talk about Sydney being in the international spotlight for the next 3 years straight from 2007 to 2009.

As mentioned already, Sydney will host the World Youth Day for 2008 and the World Masters Games for 2009. Now that the APEC summit for this year in Hanoi, Vietnam, is over, next year's APEC summit will be held in Sydney. Below is the link to the official website:

Link: Official Website For The 2007 APEC Summit In Sydney, Australia

Note: I hope that this meeting will not make the city into a "war zone", unlike what happened with the G20 Summit that occurred in Melbourne a couple of days ago.

I'm pretty sure it will. We know already that large parts of the city will be "locked down" for the summit, and as a properous, mainly white western nation, we have lots of idealistic middle class kids with not much else to do and who think they're gonna be able to change the world by charging a few barricades, torching a few cars and generally try to make mayhem. I don't know why they picked Sydney for APEC _ surely when it came to Australia's turn, it would have been easier and more secure to take the leaders off to some island resort on the Barrier Reef or something.

Masters Games _ LOL! No profile here at all. I bet if you did a survey on the streets of Sydney, nobody would have a clue that they're coming here!

IOC article about one former Australian swimmer who ran with the Olympic torch in former Stadium Australia in the Sydney 2000 opening ceremony and swam at Munich 1972:

Link: IOC: The Young Girl Who Parted The Waves

I'm pretty sure it will. We know already that large parts of the city will be "locked down" for the summit, and as a properous, mainly white western nation, we have lots of idealistic middle class kids with not much else to do and who think they're gonna be able to change the world by charging a few barricades, torching a few cars and generally try to make mayhem. I don't know why they picked Sydney for APEC _ surely when it came to Australia's turn, it would have been easier and more secure to take the leaders off to some island resort on the Barrier Reef or something.

Masters Games _ LOL! No profile here at all. I bet if you did a survey on the streets of Sydney, nobody would have a clue that they're coming here!

Even since Quebec City in the 90's,any major summits in Canada are being held in remote and small locations.

Even since Quebec City in the 90's,any major summits in Canada are being held in remote and small locations.

Then, it will be interesting where in Canada the 2010 G8 Summit will be held.

• 4 weeks later...

I'm kind of surprised that this event wasn't mentioned here, since Australia is such a "powerhouse" in the Olympic Games. In fact, this one is being held in less than a month from now in Sydney:

Link: The 2007 Australian Youth Olympic Festival In Sydney

I'm kind of surprised that this event wasn't mentioned here, since Australia is such a "powerhouse" in the Olympic Games. In fact, this one is being held in less than a month from now in Sydney:

Link: The 2007 Australian Youth Olympic Festival In Sydney

There are SOOOO many sports events now that you can really focus only on a few.

Edited by baron-pierreIV

Well, it will be interesting on how the young and potential BRITISH sporting talent will do over there in the 2007 AYOF event. The BBC went as far as making an article about it.

there will be at least 200 athletes from new zealand attending the 2007 event! It will be a good stepping stone to future events. The New Zealand Olympic Committee has published a full team list and articles. Go to www.olympic.org.nz for more information for those who are interested

• 4 weeks later...
The only place I've seen any hint of it is here on G'bids. There's certainly nothing in the press here about it.

Well, it is still relatively early in the 2013 World Games bid process, considering that the IWGA host decision will not be known until NEXT YEAR. Besides, the IWGA and the IOC are completely two separate international sporting entities. But, Sydney does have the venues in place to host most, if even all, of the "non-Olympic program" sports and events in the official IWGA program. That could be a first because I don't think ALL of those sports and events has ever been hosted in one World Games before since the inaugural 1985 Santa Clara, California, USA, Games. To top that, there has been some of them added over time. Kaohsiung 2009 will be no different in this context. It was suggesting that it could add DRAGON BOAT RACING to the IWGA program for the first time. If that is the case, then Sydney can host that no problem whatsoever.